Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Childs Recovery Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Greg Childs Recovery Updates Reply with quote

Now that Childs isnt a part of training camp and the 2012 Vikings, I wanted to create a thread where we can discuss all matters related to Childs's recovery, rather than sticking it in his 14+ page draft thread or in the training camp thread.

Ill start it off with this link.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-08-06/Greg-Childs-Vikings-knee-surgery/56835196/1

Quote:
Childs' fledgling NFL career took a devastating hit when he tried to jump to catch a pass in an intra-squad scrimmage on Saturday night and ruptured his patellar tendon in both knees. Childs went for surgery on Monday. There's no timetable for his return.

Lets try and move any discussion related to Childs and his recovery here.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak accidents make me cringe.

Honestly, he may never have a "timetable" to return. He is out for the season, but this may end up a career ending injury. The Gary Baxter.

From what I've seen, Baxter actually reached out to Childs. Even though he tore both his in 2006, he did try out in training camp the next year.

Baxter: Its not something that cant be overcome. I was told Id never walk again, and I saw the field again. I was determined to prove doctors wrong on multiple levels. Hes going to have to really bust it in rehab. And hes going to have to have nothing but positivity around him, a positive spirit and the right attitude. It sounds like hes a strong guy and wants to do those things.

When he suffered the double patellar tear, Childs joined an unfortunate fraternity that includes not only Baxter but also former Bears receiver Wendell Davis, who tore both patellar tendons in an ugly injury on the Astroturf at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia in 1993. Baxter said Davis encouraged him, and hed like to pay it forward by encouraging Childs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/gary-baxter-tells-injured-viking-greg-childs-ive-been-there/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on how long he has to be on waivers before the Vikings can put him on the IR?

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMac79 wrote:
Any word on how long he has to be on waivers before the Vikings can put him on the IR?

as another posted said, he has cleared waivers and is now on the IR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can still have a long career, it really does seem like we have a pretty good trainer. I hope Childs isnt going to rush and does everything right.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Jerry Seinfeld once said... "I leave for a week and the whole operation is in shambles."

Childs blew up both knees on a jump ball pass?

sheesh.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
as Jerry Seinfeld once said... "I leave for a week and the whole operation is in shambles."

Childs blew up both knees on a jump ball pass?

sheesh.

Devastating, he was starting to turn heads too.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Greg Childs was all smiles after strolling to his locker without crutches or a drastic limp, turning around to find himself swarmed by the Vikings media horde.

The rookie wide receiver whose season was ruined when he tore patellar tendons in both knees during training camp quietly has been rehabilitating from the familiar injury and prefers to remain in the shadows as Minnesota carries on without him.

"I like to do things that people think other people can't do," he said Monday, Oct. 8. "I've got a strong head. You can ask any of the players in here. I come in here attitude good every day and trying to get right, trying to get back on the field. I'm going to do everything I can to step back on the field for next season."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21726442/injured-vikings-rookie-receiver-greg-childs-vows-return?source=rss

How do you feel Childs plays into our future plans. Is it realistic to think he can have an impact next year? Will he effect how the team approaches rebuilding the receiving group?

Maxx Williams For Mackey
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to consider Childs a non-factor going forward. if he even plays again that is just a bonus.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
you have to consider Childs a non-factor going forward. if he even plays again that is just a bonus.

that's exactly how i see it.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

that's exactly how i see it.

Same, such a shame to see his potential blown. Hopefully AP helps him out in some way to recover. His college highlights had some amazing plays in there where it was all him and not the QB.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Agreed. I expect Childs to start the year on the PUP list next year and into the regular season. He needs to stay away from football and fully recover. He was a late fourth round pick so i expect very little.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be awesome if he could come back from this injury.

I'm not expecting him to have some Adrian Peterson type recovery where there were very little signs of him slowing down, but if he could come back after 4-6 weeks to start the season that'd be a big bonus for us.

At the same time, we are most likely bringing in atleast 2 new WRs to the team next season. He'll need to work his way up to get playing time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we inject him with some of Adrian Peterson's DNA...
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I say we inject him with some of Adrian Peterson's DNA...

That'd kill most people!!!

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: