Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Alex Smith Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/07/49ers-working-on-alex-smiths-mechanics/

Quote:
Smith will be working on keeping his front leg flexed while throwing and he will be trying to drop back in a straighter line. Smith goes off center while dropping back, something that the team feels is affecting his accuracy. Smith completed a career-high 61.3 percent of his passes while taking the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game. Accuracy might also be improved if the additions to the 49ers’ receiving corps — Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins and Randy Moss — give Smith better options when throwing the ball. If the mechanical work and the new faces work, Smith should be in line for an even better season than he had in 2011.

Happy Birthday, btw, Alex. Now get back to work!!! Smile

___

Last edited by oldman9er on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
scraly47*

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight years later. I guess this just goes to show how awful our coaching staffs were.

-Lork
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
Eight years later. I guess this just goes to show how awful our coaching staffs were.

Yup, it's tough working on fundamentals when you are having to learn a new playbook every year

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
P-Willy52

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:

And how bad the teams were...I never gave up on him, and being on the East coast I had to hear it all the time from my buddies...even today they still don't give him the respect he deserves. While Rodgers may still be the better overall player, there is no way he would have had the success hes been able to enjoy had he been selected number 1.

1-0
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be tough breaking an 8 year habit, but I have faith in our coaching and Alex.

His front leg flexing has been an issue for a while, announcers talk about it almost every game. I'd like to say I'm surprised that we're just addressing it now, but I'm not.
adamq

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. All the greats always look to improve wherever possible, whether it's working on footwork/mechanics, release, etc.

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Going to be tough breaking an 8 year habit, but I have faith in our coaching and Alex.

His front leg flexing has been an issue for a while, announcers talk about it almost every game. I'd like to say I'm surprised that we're just addressing it now, but I'm not.

They say it takes 1000 reps to break yourself of old habits.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady works on his fundamentals every offesason.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

They say it takes 1000 reps to break yourself of old habits.

It depends on the player. I've seen situations where players have fallen back into old habits when certain situations presented itself, even after they've "broken" it for a few years. However, as long as Harbaugh can coach him up and Alex doesn't resort to old habits often, then that's good enough.
Johnz5429

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:

Our you saying Alex's problem were the coaching for 8 years because even with Harbaugh he didn't have a probowl year. I am confused!
scraly47*

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnz5429 wrote:
scraly47* wrote:

Our you saying Alex's problem were the coaching for 8 years because even with Harbaugh he didn't have a probowl year. I am confused!

No just saying that previous coaching staff didn't seem to care to fix these mechanics of Smith when they were there.

-Lork
SickofMediocre

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
Johnz5429 wrote:
scraly47* wrote:

No just saying that previous coaching staff didn't seem to care to fix these mechanics of Smith when they were there.

Right. Norv Turner, Mike Mccarthy, Mike Martz. They all don't care about mechanics.

Humor me some more please.

Year 8 is the year, I always say!
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biggie. Pro golfers and tennis players and batters all work on their mechanics all the time. I believe most QBs do as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about that time for yet another I.P. address check. Rolling Eyes

___
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SickofMediocre wrote:
Right. Norv Turner, Mike Mccarthy, Mike Martz. They all don't care about mechanics.

Humor me some more please.

Which one of those fully developed a quarterback in one year again? In their second season as 49ers offensive coordinator, which of the three had time to correct his mechanics? Recognize that McCarthy didn't have a full offseason with him and he had to adjust to the NFL, Turner did a great job of teaching him basics and correcting the rookie year problems Alex had, but then left. And Martz was never really interested in working with Alex to begin with, as his guy was blatantly obvious, and blatantly terrible.

Come on, I'm not even one of Alex's biggest supporters and I still recognize how unbelievable your level of "hate" for him is with a post like that (of course, you make it more obvious with your signature, and I assume your user name as well).

Anyway, on the most recent note - considering just about every one of your posts thus far have been relating to Alex, and the afore-mentioned obvious dislike of him, consider this a preemptive strike of mine against you trolling the board on every Alex topic. If you wish to discuss it intelligently, be my guest and have at it - not going to stop that. However, the second this turns in any way into baiting others into defense mode in regards to the topic, I'm not going to hesitate to hand out a warning for trolling (for an example of what I mean, see the "humor me some more please" part of your post, which itself was only vaguely trying to make a point, that acts as a tremendous way to introduce yourself to a forum of people you've 'just met').

And for the others who will no doubt battle him, the second you ridicule actual posts about football and bait him or any other Alex doubter into a nonsensical shouting match (be it deliberately or passive-aggressively), I will be doing the same for you. This year's Alex debates will be conducted a lot more civilly from the outset. If you disagree with a post, but can't muster up anything other than a post that comments on the post, poster, or theme of the post itself and not about football, then I'm not altogether interested in seeing it, and nobody else is either. If you feel it crossed the line already - send me or SoCal a PM, and we'll look it over.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: