Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Anything (Non-Lions) Thread: Read The Rules Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 102, 103, 104  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
A lot of upgrades and perks have been added to cars over the last 4 years such as blue tooth phone connect, blue tooth music from your phone or iPod, GPS, back up cameras..... All not really necessary, but they definitely add to the value and comfort.

I can get on board with this. For me, it isn't worth it though. Heck, I don't even own an iPod. Still stuck in the dark ages....I burn CDs Laughing

I remember buying music on vinyl and now burning CDs is outdated. Ugh.

I have always been drawn to Buicks and Cadillacs though because of the creature comforts they offer so I understand peoples want of such things. Just not worth it to me. The most I have EVER paid for a car was $2000, and that was a showroom condition Cadillac DeVille.

Man it's harder and harder to take you seriously as the years roll on man. I'm not even going to pretend you don't ramble on a bunch of nonsense all the time anymore. Literally tough to read some of your stuff and I wont from here on out. Rolling Eyes

* That's my rant, warn me if you want/need to.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
2005 Bonneville that will sell for 7500-11000 and is entering its expensive repair years.

I wanted to address this. I don't think everyone thinks this through completely and logically. Mind you this is coming from the perspective ofa mechanic too though. I will use the example I already gave of the new DUMB car and the 2000 Bonneville(3800 engine, important because if you get a used car it is important to get one of the good ones and a 3800 is one of the best out there)

The difference in price is ~$20000. So the Bonneville would have to have $333/mo in repair bills to catch up in cost of the DUMB car in 5 years. During that 5 years, the DUMB car has lost half its' value, meanwhile the average person has put ~100k miles on the Bonneville and you likely could sell it at or near what you got it for. So the Bonneville would STILL come out ahead, even with an astounding $333/mo in repair bills, which I think we can all agree would be a wildly liberal estimate. You also did not require full coverage during this time, saving a ton in insurance costs.

In this example, the Bonneville has not broken down at all. The brakes haven't even needed to be done(about due) The vehicle was bought in 2007 with 65k miles on it. Conversely the DUMB car was bought in 2009, has been driven sparingly(almost half as much as the Pontiac), has been in the shop twice, and as always seems to happen the dealer was able to make some kind of excuse not to cover all costs under warranty.

I do understand people want the warranty and the stability that comes with it. And I am a bit biased as the type of person that has changed his transmission on the side of the expressway on the spot before. But I do believe people need to think it through a bit. How much is that warranty really worth to you? Sometimes it is just better to get the better made car, even if it is a few years old it may last longer.

Where are you coming up with your prices?

They don't make a smart car that costs 20k so unless someone is giving you 3k-8k to take the Bonny off their hands the math doesn't work

A 2000 bonneville unless is a piece of crap will cost about $5500.00.

A nicely equipped smart between 15k and 16k although I expect you could knock 2k off prices currently and the base model is 12k.

So your huge price difference is actually between 6500 and 10,500 so no where near 20k.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super stoked. Got my first client as personal trainer to further my education. My son approached me about spending time in my gym getting bigger in order to try out for football. I never pressure my kids in any direction so I was glad to hear him wanting to lift and play. Gonna be huge for my schooling research for my Masters. Able to spend time with kid, have workout partner and fulfill some schooling opportunity.

Freaking awesome. Now to see if we make it without killing each other is key. Haha

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
2005 Bonneville that will sell for 7500-11000 and is entering its expensive repair years.

I wanted to address this. I don't think everyone thinks this through completely and logically. Mind you this is coming from the perspective ofa mechanic too though. I will use the example I already gave of the new DUMB car and the 2000 Bonneville(3800 engine, important because if you get a used car it is important to get one of the good ones and a 3800 is one of the best out there)

The difference in price is ~$20000. So the Bonneville would have to have $333/mo in repair bills to catch up in cost of the DUMB car in 5 years. During that 5 years, the DUMB car has lost half its' value, meanwhile the average person has put ~100k miles on the Bonneville and you likely could sell it at or near what you got it for. So the Bonneville would STILL come out ahead, even with an astounding $333/mo in repair bills, which I think we can all agree would be a wildly liberal estimate. You also did not require full coverage during this time, saving a ton in insurance costs.

In this example, the Bonneville has not broken down at all. The brakes haven't even needed to be done(about due) The vehicle was bought in 2007 with 65k miles on it. Conversely the DUMB car was bought in 2009, has been driven sparingly(almost half as much as the Pontiac), has been in the shop twice, and as always seems to happen the dealer was able to make some kind of excuse not to cover all costs under warranty.

I do understand people want the warranty and the stability that comes with it. And I am a bit biased as the type of person that has changed his transmission on the side of the expressway on the spot before. But I do believe people need to think it through a bit. How much is that warranty really worth to you? Sometimes it is just better to get the better made car, even if it is a few years old it may last longer.

They don't make a smart car that costs 20k so unless someone is giving you 3k-8k to take the Bonny off their hands the math doesn't work

A nicely equipped smart between 15k and 16k although I expect you could knock 2k off prices currently and the base model is 12k.

So your huge price difference is actually between 6500 and 10,500 so no where near 20k.

Curious where you are getting your prices.

Mike has the sticker with $20k+ on it.

And I was there when dad handed over $2k cash for the Bonny.

Like I said, I have never paid more than $2k for a car. Waiting for the right deal pays dividends.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
A lot of upgrades and perks have been added to cars over the last 4 years such as blue tooth phone connect, blue tooth music from your phone or iPod, GPS, back up cameras..... All not really necessary, but they definitely add to the value and comfort.

I can get on board with this. For me, it isn't worth it though. Heck, I don't even own an iPod. Still stuck in the dark ages....I burn CDs Laughing

I remember buying music on vinyl and now burning CDs is outdated. Ugh.

I have always been drawn to Buicks and Cadillacs though because of the creature comforts they offer so I understand peoples want of such things. Just not worth it to me. The most I have EVER paid for a car was $2000, and that was a showroom condition Cadillac DeVille.

Man it's harder and harder to take you seriously as the years roll on man. I'm not even going to pretend you don't ramble on a bunch of nonsense all the time anymore. Literally tough to read some of your stuff and I wont from here on out. Rolling Eyes

* That's my rant, warn me if you want/need to.

Hmmm......

After re-reading to ensure I didn't write nonsense in a rush I have concluded the problem clearly is not mine. Maybe you should work on your comprehension skills brother.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a car for sale right now. It's a 95 Buick regal with just under 100k on it and it has a 3800. That's about what you can find right now in the 2k range. Used cars are higher, a lot due to cash for clunkers clearing out the low end used market.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I have a car for sale right now. It's a 95 Buick regal with just under 100k on it and it has a 3800. That's about what you can find right now in the 2k range. Used cars are higher, a lot due to cash for clunkers clearing out the low end used market.

Ya, that messed up a ton of the used car market. While it was going on, it made it very easy to find parts, but junkyards were only allowed to hold onto the cars for 6 mos I think it was and then they had to crush them.

Just have to look. I have a '98 El Dorado I will be selling for about $2k in the reasonably near future. The deals are out there fairly regularly if you just look for them. Craiglist and Ebay are good places to look.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Like I said, I have never paid more than $2k for a car. Waiting for the right deal pays dividends.

http://autos.yahoo.com/smart/

There is now a high end smart called the Brabus which is a cabriolet at 20,900.

It may be your preference to purchase cars in that price range but there is a reason almost 100% of them are auctioned. It's because reputable dealers can't afford the hit their reputation takes by selling unreliable vehicles.

We could probably argue til the cows come home but you get what you pay for and $2000.00 cars are cheap because they're junk. Most people don't maintain cars properly and these old clunkers are likely to require numerous front end repairs, tires, brakes, rotors, complete fluid change. They frequently have rust, body damage etc.

You may want to have numerous cheap cars and keep one in operation spending your spare time locating parts and doing repairs but then the true cost is price of all three cars, the value of your time, parts, etc. Not to mention the time you spend searching to locate the right deal. There is a cost to all of it.

I don't have anything against used cars but there is a point beyond which they just don't make sense from a reliability, repair cost and safety perspective.

In my view looking at used cars there is only one or two models I would look at that are 5 or more years older. The exception would be if I knew the owner and I knew they had properly maintained the vehicle.

We have one vehicle purchased new in 2001 that will last us forever because of the maintenance we do and the fact it's my wife's car, she loves it and will be buried in it. Laughing

When it goes to the dealer for its scheduled maintenance we are constantly being asked to sell the car because of its condition and complete maintenance records. But this car is the exception not the rule.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

It may be your preference to purchase cars in that price range but there is a reason almost 100% of them are auctioned. It's because reputable dealers can't afford the hit their reputation takes by selling unreliable vehicles.

We could probably argue til the cows come home but you get what you pay for and $2000.00 cars are cheap because they're junk. Most people don't maintain cars properly and these old clunkers are likely to require numerous front end repairs, tires, brakes, rotors, complete fluid change. They frequently have rust, body damage etc.

You may want to have numerous cheap cars and keep one in operation spending your spare time locating parts and doing repairs but then the true cost is price of all three cars, the value of your time, parts, etc. Not to mention the time you spend searching to locate the right deal. There is a cost to all of it.

I don't have anything against used cars but there is a point beyond which they just don't make sense from a reliability, repair cost and safety perspective.

In my view looking at used cars there is only one or two models I would look at that are 5 or more years older. The exception would be if I knew the owner and I knew they had properly maintained the vehicle.

We have one vehicle purchased new in 2001 that will last us forever because of the maintenance we do and the fact it's my wife's car, she loves it and will be buried in it. Laughing

When it goes to the dealer for its scheduled maintenance we are constantly being asked to sell the car because of its condition and complete maintenance records. But this car is the exception not the rule.
Completely agree with all of this. Not everyone has the knowledge and skills to repair vehicles, nor the resources to find reasonably priced parts instead of being raped by the dealer.

Once a car is around 7 or 8 years old, the manufacturer doesn't even produce new engine parts any longer, so you have to either buy overpriced rebuilt (starters, alternators, etc.) from the dealer, or have the resources to find one of the locations that the dealer actually buys it's rebuilt parts from (which is not easily attained).

I know a little, but my time is money. It's just not worth it to me, but I can see why it may be for Phreak. It comes down to how much time you have on your hands, and how vital it is for you or you're spouse's vehicle to be operational every time you turn that key (or in my case, push that button).
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Completely agree with all of this. Not everyone has the knowledge and skills to repair vehicles, nor the resources to find reasonably priced parts instead of being raped by the dealer.

Once a car is around 7 or 8 years old, the manufacturer doesn't even produce new engine parts any longer, so you have to either buy overpriced rebuilt (starters, alternators, etc.) from the dealer, or have the resources to find one of the locations that the dealer actually buys it's rebuilt parts from (which is not easily attained).

I know a little, but my time is money. It's just not worth it to me, but I can see why it may be for Phreak. It comes down to how much time you have on your hands, and how vital it is for you or you're spouse's vehicle to be operational every time you turn that key (or in my case, push that button).

That's exactly right. Not to mention the modern models are very backyard mechanic unfriendly. The diagnostic equipment required for new cars can run 250k which is certainly beyond what I could afford.

Knowing phreak older cars are right up his alley. Since we first spoke he has always loved tearing them apart and fixing them. If he could get full mobility I could see him taking an old caddy and doing a full restore on it and loving every busted knuckle and every part discovery.

I don't have the patience. Laughing

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Like I said, in alot of cases the new car requires more repairs than the new one. In that case your entire post supports the Bonneville over the DUMB car.

My best running, most trustworthy vehicle has 288k miles. Only urban myth states that high mileage cars will fall apart. Take your local mechanic with you and he will be able to tell you(if he is any good) if the car is in good repair or not. A brand new car has no more reliability than a used car in proper condition and myself and my father before me have proven that 100s of times over.
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Tigers!!

This forums not very active today =|
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever wonder what a conversation between elite quarterbacks would look like?

http://fauxjohnmadden.lockerdome.com/articles/101270738
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
Go Tigers!!

This forums not very active today =|
I'll be with ya come game time.

Go Tigers!!!
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
Ever wonder what a conversation between elite quarterbacks would look like?

http://fauxjohnmadden.lockerdome.com/articles/101270738

That was pretty funny IMO.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 102, 103, 104  Next
Page 95 of 104

Jump to: