Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:
I'm not a SD fan, but I've watched a few of your games. What sticks out to me is how much time Matthews sits on the bench. He is a dynamic player and needs the ball to get rolling. Taking carries from him reduces your chances of winning exponentially. Ray Charles can see this!

Him improving his pass-blocking would get him on the field more. Problem is, our RB coach is a hack who has made his name off of being the "coach" for LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles, neither of which really needed much coaching by the time he was brought in.

If the coach was worth anything, don't you figure that by now, Mathews' 3rd season, he'd have gone over something as simple as not carrying the ball like a loaf of bread with him (i.e. not swinging it away from his body when he's running through traffic with him)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hated the Norv hiring when they fired Marty. May have been cause I thought Marty could have finished the job. You don't go 14-2 not knowing how to win games. He just needed to transform his strategy during the playoffs. That said. I actually like Chip Kelly but don't see that ever happening. He has a type A personality and I don't think that the Chargers Brass want anyone who could make waves. But Kelly would bring excitment to the NFL. 4th down attempts/2 pt conversions/fake kicks. Kinda like the way I play Madden. I might be bias though, Ducks fan and all. I read an article on how he uses percentages to decide his "risky" decisions. And that all are based on chances to win the game. Kinda like a "moneyball" scheme of playing football. Wish I could find that article and attatch it. It talked about how Kelly would change the NFL kinda like the wildcat did. Yeah, it was a fad but 50% of NFL teams now/still have a wildcat package in thier system that if nothing else creates another thing that teams have to prepare for.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fine with Marty being let go because the writing was on the wall for anyone who actually tracked Marty's past coaching stints. In every previous gig once the highly successful coordinators moved on to greener pastures Marty either promoted from within (typically with success, in the past instances) or he hired from outside (which was almost every time his brother Kurt, whose hiring was the perpetual death knell of every one of Marty's prior gigs). Ironically, this was the one time in recent memory that Dean made a proactive move to try to stem bleeding before things started really get bad. Unfortunately the full scope of the decision he made wasn't a sound one... that being Norv.

I'll be quite literally shocked if Dean hires any new coach that doesn't have prior pro-level head coaching experience - as I stated before part of this is his own ultra-conservative nature and part is the fact that he still approaches this club from a business standpoint first... and his core demographic (the casual Chargers fans - as opposed to the die hards) have far greater name-recognition of former coaches (the Grudens, Nolans, Billicks, and so forth) than they do the up-and-comer coordinators.

Now there are "re-treads" who I think can be successful here, despite the fact that people don't like to believe that rebooted coaches can have success unless they had it before. I'm actually on board with either Mike Nolan or particularly Eric Mangini (yeah, I know, but has the guy really gotten a fair shake yet?), though some of that may also be because I'm sacred to death Dean's going to go out and give Wade opportunity number 5 or Cam number 2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so who is replacing Norv next year, and who will be the GM?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HC: Vic Fangio
OC: Someone who can work well with Rivers (Zampese is who LBC said is a Coryell disciple right?)
DC: John Pagano

GM: Marc Ross/Eric DeCosta

Please make it happen Spanos. Crying or Very sad

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if Norv doesn't even get fired. I can totally see this team winning 4-5 games in a row and Dean would sight "progress" and then we will have to deal with this all over again in 2013.

Maybe I am just jaded, but it wouldn't surprise me.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Norv doesn't even get fired. I can totally see this team winning 4-5 games in a row and Dean would sight "progress" and then we will have to deal with this all over again in 2013.

Maybe I am just jaded, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It sadly wouldn't surprise any of us.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the rumors begin...

Rotoworld wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said on Total Access Tuesday night that he "keep(s) hearing" San Diego as a potential landing spot for likely outgoing Eagles coach Andy Reid.
Rapoport expects Reid to be "a pretty coveted candidate," and pointed out that Reid is from California. The Chargers also have a quarterback Reid might be able to "fix" in Philip Rivers, whose performance has fallen off the past two years under Norv Turner. Rivers has played his entire career in the "Air Coryell" style vertical offense. Reid would bring a West Coast system to San Diego.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Rivers excel in the WCO? I don't think Reid is the right fit for this team but if he kept Pagano then maybe it would work out. How is Reid as a motivator or disciplinarian? We lack those two things and need someone to bring an attitude with them.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
HC: Vic Fangio
OC: Someone who can work well with Rivers (Zampese is who LBC said is a Coryell disciple right?)
DC: John Pagano

GM: Marc Ross/Eric DeCosta

Please make it happen Spanos. Crying or Very sad

Bengals QB Coach Zampese? The two assistant coaches that Bengal fans liked most were Kevin Coyle and Ken Zampese. Coyle is doing pretty well in his first season as the Dolphins new DC now that he finally got a chance. Would be interesting to see how Zampese would do as an OC...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so up in the air with a future head coach. Today I convinced myself that Hue Jackson would be an improvement.

I hope we at least talk to the Saints Carmichael though.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I am so up in the air with a future head coach. Today I convinced myself that Hue Jackson would be an improvement.

Crazy... I thought about him some myself. He was doing well in Oakland, turning the team around.

Dont really like Andy Reid as HC though, sure he has had some success but look at all the talent Philly had and they are pretty bad as a team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid has had success with a ton of QB's but I just don't like him. Something about it screams wrong. I can't put my finger on it but I don't want Reid.

I've got it. Reid abandons the run faster then Norv. A balanced offense is a happy offense.

EverythingSF wrote:
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Reid has had success with a ton of QB's but I just don't like him. Something about it screams wrong. I can't put my finger on it but I don't want Reid.

I've got it. Reid abandons the run faster then Norv. A balanced offense is a happy offense.

Other reasoning being that when Reid's teams started to go from perennial Super Bowl contender to likely-but-not-given playoff contenders coincided with two things: The drop-off of Donovan McNabb and the, more specifically, the loss of Jim Johnson at DC (obviously you can't fault them for their DC dying, but Andy just could not seem to find an adequate replacement... ever).

Why do I feel like this is another Norv waiting to happen - except this one insists on personnel control and about the only major perk is that he has a proclivity for big, heavies (but if they rarely get developed... what's the point?). Even with him being a "name" coach, he's a name coach who's coming off a season where his team is as run into the ground as ours has. How exactly does Dean intend to explain replacing the coach of a 4-5 win team with the fired coach of 5-6 win team? Is having gotten to a Super Bowl, but never actually having won it really worth THAT much to the casual fan?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

Part of being a good HC (a major part) is bringing in a competent staff. Hue's biggest mistake, other than the Carson trade, was bringing in Chuck Bresnahan as the DC. So as good as Hue is at putting his players in right position to succeed, he failed miserably at picking coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

If you guys bring in a good GM and Hue gets his ego in check in order to put together a solid roster and coaches, then he would be a great fit. Until then I would be weary of Hue...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: