Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.


Kelly + Rivers = no bueno.

Either give us a defensive HC or Chud. Sign a Coryell disciple of some sort as well.


He doesn't need a mobile QB. He obviously wont run the spread option anymore, but will impliment a lot of the same plays out of standard formations. He'll have a lot of 3-5 step drops with his QB getting the ball out of his hands quickly, even if its on a fade or go rout. The one thing i would be concerned with is that he would most likely bring a zone blocking scheme with him, that really wouldn't fit any of our linemen save hardwick and maybe Green.

For GM i still like the NYG Dir College Scouting Marc Ross, his name was brought up a lot last year, and he seems like a real solid candidate.
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24479
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.


Kelly + Rivers = no bueno.

Either give us a defensive HC or Chud. Sign a Coryell disciple of some sort as well.


He doesn't need a mobile QB. He obviously wont run the spread option anymore, but will impliment a lot of the same plays out of standard formations. He'll have a lot of 3-5 step drops with his QB getting the ball out of his hands quickly, even if its on a fade or go rout. The one thing i would be concerned with is that he would most likely bring a zone blocking scheme with him, that really wouldn't fit any of our linemen save hardwick and maybe Green.

For GM i still like the NYG Dir College Scouting Marc Ross, his name was brought up a lot last year, and he seems like a real solid candidate.

I'll say the same thing I said over at Bolttalk... who in their right mind honestly believes that Spanos will hire an up-and-comer GM?

There's really better chance that Norv wins COTY this year than that happening. Look at Spanos' track record in GM selection, he either recycles guys who "had great success" elsewhere in the past (Beathard, Butler) or in the rare occasion he goes for an up-and-comer he completely goes out of left field and we get some clueless schmuck like Steve Ortmayer. Furthermore, a young(er) up-and-comer is going to stand in John-Boy's path to the GM/VP of Player Personnel spot and Daddy A.G. and Uncle Deano aren't going to do that.

I'll be honest, at this point, I don't want Chud back unless it's as an OC (and unless Rivera gets canned I don't see the Panthers "pulling a Marty" and letting him take a lateral hire). I want someone who brings a perspective from entirely outside this organization who can bring a much needed fresh culture and vision; Chud as THE guy leaves too much room for just slipping back into the old mold and repeating the same mistakes. The players need to know that "continuity" is the furthest thing from the mantra of this new staff.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/17/acee-chargers-showing-j-smith-same-thing-theyre-sh/?page=2#article

And now the plot thickens...... Confused
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.


Kelly + Rivers = no bueno.

Either give us a defensive HC or Chud. Sign a Coryell disciple of some sort as well.


He doesn't need a mobile QB. He obviously wont run the spread option anymore, but will impliment a lot of the same plays out of standard formations. He'll have a lot of 3-5 step drops with his QB getting the ball out of his hands quickly, even if its on a fade or go rout. The one thing i would be concerned with is that he would most likely bring a zone blocking scheme with him, that really wouldn't fit any of our linemen save hardwick and maybe Green.

For GM i still like the NYG Dir College Scouting Marc Ross, his name was brought up a lot last year, and he seems like a real solid candidate.

I'll say the same thing I said over at Bolttalk... who in their right mind honestly believes that Spanos will hire an up-and-comer GM?

There's really better chance that Norv wins COTY this year than that happening. Look at Spanos' track record in GM selection, he either recycles guys who "had great success" elsewhere in the past (Beathard, Butler) or in the rare occasion he goes for an up-and-comer he completely goes out of left field and we get some clueless schmuck like Steve Ortmayer. Furthermore, a young(er) up-and-comer is going to stand in John-Boy's path to the GM/VP of Player Personnel spot and Daddy A.G. and Uncle Deano aren't going to do that.

I'll be honest, at this point, I don't want Chud back unless it's as an OC (and unless Rivera gets canned I don't see the Panthers "pulling a Marty" and letting him take a lateral hire). I want someone who brings a perspective from entirely outside this organization who can bring a much needed fresh culture and vision; Chud as THE guy leaves too much room for just slipping back into the old mold and repeating the same mistakes. The players need to know that "continuity" is the furthest thing from the mantra of this new staff.


Hey i can hope right? He could come TOTALLY out of left field and pick a well qualified up and comer like Ross... Pray
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 18042
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/17/acee-chargers-showing-j-smith-same-thing-theyre-sh/?page=2#article

And now the plot thickens...... Confused


Another loss with a lead going into the 2nd half, within the next 3 games, and Norv is gone. No question. AJ will follow at the end of the season.

As much as we all think Spanos doesn't car at all, the truth is that he cares just enough to keep the stands mostly full. Collapses like the last two kills the fans, and the team loses TV time, merchandising, and ticket sales. So, he's either going to fire everybody, or sell the team. Only way to keep making money.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/17/acee-chargers-showing-j-smith-same-thing-theyre-sh/?page=2#article

And now the plot thickens...... Confused


Another loss with a lead going into the 2nd half, within the next 3 games, and Norv is gone. No question. AJ will follow at the end of the season.

As much as we all think Spanos doesn't car at all, the truth is that he cares just enough to keep the stands mostly full. Collapses like the last two kills the fans, and the team loses TV time, merchandising, and ticket sales. So, he's either going to fire everybody, or sell the team. Only way to keep making money.


Its actually been pretty well documented that there's only like 1 or 2 teams in the whole NFL that actually make money on a yearly basis. The Cowboys might be the only one, but thats mostly due to owning their own stadium and profitting off all events there. The value of owning an NFL team comes from the fact that the team as a whole is SUPER valuable to sell and the value of owning an NFL team goes up year by year.

And in the scheme of things all those types of things other than Ticket Sales dont matter. Merchandising, and TV time, reguardless of prime time games and such are taken as a whole plot and split evenly between the teams, so he doesn't care if the team sells more stuff and gets more TV time.

I dont know why i had to let all that out, but at least a little bit of my college learning is getting used... Laughing
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 18042
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/17/acee-chargers-showing-j-smith-same-thing-theyre-sh/?page=2#article

And now the plot thickens...... Confused


Another loss with a lead going into the 2nd half, within the next 3 games, and Norv is gone. No question. AJ will follow at the end of the season.

As much as we all think Spanos doesn't car at all, the truth is that he cares just enough to keep the stands mostly full. Collapses like the last two kills the fans, and the team loses TV time, merchandising, and ticket sales. So, he's either going to fire everybody, or sell the team. Only way to keep making money.


Its actually been pretty well documented that there's only like 1 or 2 teams in the whole NFL that actually make money on a yearly basis. The Cowboys might be the only one, but thats mostly due to owning their own stadium and profitting off all events there. The value of owning an NFL team comes from the fact that the team as a whole is SUPER valuable to sell and the value of owning an NFL team goes up year by year.

And in the scheme of things all those types of things other than Ticket Sales dont matter. Merchandising, and TV time, reguardless of prime time games and such are taken as a whole plot and split evenly between the teams, so he doesn't care if the team sells more stuff and gets more TV time.

I dont know why i had to let all that out, but at least a little bit of my college learning is getting used... Laughing


That can't be right. They're all making money, some not too much. Last I saw the Chargers had revenue of $220-$230mil, operation costs were around $40mil, and salaries were around the cap number.

Bad teams don't get prime time games. Average teams get one, average teams get 1-2, good teams get a lot. Keeping a couple MNF's/SNF's is enough to make changes. Nobody wants their team to go a season without any.


*I was off

$246mil Revenue, $22.5mil operating costs. Team value of $936mil, 13% debt. They're making money.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/san-diego-chargers/
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 504
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatsup guys. Even though I'm not a Chargers fan I know what you guys are going through with "Norvitus." Heck he got his first head coaching gig here in Wash.

Good luck with the rest of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Whole HCing options just got a LOT more interesting....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8592214/sean-payton-deal-new-orleans-saints-voided-nfl-sources-say

This situation has voided Sean Payton's contract and he no longer has to be the NO saints HC. He's free to sign with whatever team he wants. I CHOOSE HIM.

AJ and Spanos refuse to take risks. He's about as low risk a HCing option as you're gonna get right about now...SIGN HIM UP
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iLikeDefense


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 2567
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Our Whole HCing options just got a LOT more interesting....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8592214/sean-payton-deal-new-orleans-saints-voided-nfl-sources-say

This situation has voided Sean Payton's contract and he no longer has to be the NO saints HC. He's free to sign with whatever team he wants. I CHOOSE HIM.

AJ and Spanos refuse to take risks. He's about as low risk a HCing option as you're gonna get right about now...SIGN HIM UP


would be a great HC signing for y'all but I think teams like Dallas may want him just as much.
_________________

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 26451
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Our Whole HCing options just got a LOT more interesting....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8592214/sean-payton-deal-new-orleans-saints-voided-nfl-sources-say

This situation has voided Sean Payton's contract and he no longer has to be the NO saints HC. He's free to sign with whatever team he wants. I CHOOSE HIM.

AJ and Spanos refuse to take risks. He's about as low risk a HCing option as you're gonna get right about now...SIGN HIM UP


No they didn't. Laughing

There's no chance he leaves NO, and if he did, he's Dallas bound.
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19328
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.


Kelly + Rivers = no bueno.

Either give us a defensive HC or Chud. Sign a Coryell disciple of some sort as well.


He doesn't need a mobile QB. He obviously wont run the spread option anymore, but will impliment a lot of the same plays out of standard formations. He'll have a lot of 3-5 step drops with his QB getting the ball out of his hands quickly, even if its on a fade or go rout. The one thing i would be concerned with is that he would most likely bring a zone blocking scheme with him, that really wouldn't fit any of our linemen save hardwick and maybe Green.

For GM i still like the NYG Dir College Scouting Marc Ross, his name was brought up a lot last year, and he seems like a real solid candidate.
You wouldn't want Chip (I hope he stays at Oregon personally)?
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8291
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Our Whole HCing options just got a LOT more interesting....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8592214/sean-payton-deal-new-orleans-saints-voided-nfl-sources-say

This situation has voided Sean Payton's contract and he no longer has to be the NO saints HC. He's free to sign with whatever team he wants. I CHOOSE HIM.

AJ and Spanos refuse to take risks. He's about as low risk a HCing option as you're gonna get right about now...SIGN HIM UP


No they didn't. Laughing

There's no chance he leaves NO, and if he did, he's Dallas bound.


I know, i just got excited about the prospect of Payton coaching the Chargers.

As for Chip Kelly, i would really like him to coach the bolts, but as has been said, its probably not gonna happen, as the Spanos' are SUPER low risk when it comes to HC and GM's. As a video that LBC posted here, he's scared to make a change that doesn't work out, and everyone hates him for it....and doesn't buy tickets anymore.
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24479
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerruh is the only one stupid enough to try and go all-in for Payton, which is literally what you'd have to do considering he couldn't be hired in an official capacity until such a time as his suspension was up (April 16th).

So you're talking about potentially going through free agency and most of your draft prep while still uncertain that you'll actually get "your guy" at HC... and past that, how many assistants are going to be willing to sign on on the come that Payton might be their boss?

Throw on top of that that Payton, particularly if he leaves NO, would be getting the largest contract ever issued to an NFL coach.

There are just so many reasons why Sean Payton coaching the Chargers is just not going to happen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Cat


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2752
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a SD fan, but I've watched a few of your games. What sticks out to me is how much time Matthews sits on the bench. He is a dynamic player and needs the ball to get rolling. Taking carries from him reduces your chances of winning exponentially. Ray Charles can see this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group