Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norv is gone and now the question remains when do you let him go. He should have been let go last year. Spanos is cheap so he will keep him until the end of the year. I have seen high school coaches have more urgency and game awareness than Norv. The second half of the Broncos game sealed the deal.
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put: that 2nd half was the worst half of football I've ever seen a team play, high school, college or pro.

Ive never been happier to have a bye week.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
Norv is gone and now the question remains when do you let him go. He should have been let go last year. Spanos is cheap so he will keep him until the end of the year. I have seen high school coaches have more urgency and game awareness than Norv. The second half of the Broncos game sealed the deal.

Norv won't be let go until the end of the season because there is no one else on the staff capable of actually calling an offensive game. Have you seen our offensive staff? The only one aside from Norv with any remote play-calling experience is Steve Fairchild (still a figurehead OC when he was in Buffalo and St. Louis as he was working under offensive-minded coaches). Hal Hunter certain hasn't got it. John Sullivan, Ollie Wilson, none of these guys can run a full offense... hell, we can even see them effectively run their own individual positional units.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... 2nd week in a row I've gone to bed at half time with the team leading by double digits expecting a good win... only to wake up to utter disappointment. HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU BLOW A 24 POINT LEAD?!?

"According to ESPN Stats & Information, entering this game, 442 teams had led by 24 or more points in the Super Bowl era. Only three teams had ever blown such a lead. And according to ESPN Stats & Information, the Chargersí win probability percentage was 98.5 at halftime. "

Horrible... just horrible. Just playing a safe 2nd half in the last 2 games and we'd be 5-1 3 games up in the division and tied for first in the conference... but no, they decided to leave their ability/drive/whatever in the locker room at half time and now sit at 3-3.

Its time for a change, no take that back... its BEEN time for a change. Lets bring someone in who is a hard nose SOB, lets change up this offense so we dont rely totally on the deep ball or screen plays, get some O-Line beef to make some holes and keep our QB upright. Our D looks promising, well except CB/SS, so lets build on that.

Ugh!! Also... Rivers... WTH are you doing?! I go into last night with my main FF team up 2 points, I have Rivers playing and my opponent has Gates... I'm thinking, "Easy win since for Gates to score, Rivers needs to"... Only to wake up with a 17 point loss!! Damn you Rivers!
Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norv shouldn't be on the next plane the team takes.

That 2nd half was the worst Charger performance I've ever seen... this tops that AFC game against NE and the 300 yards to AP....

There was no excuse for such a bad performance overal, not just the 2nd half, we were getting LUCKY with all the TOs going our way.

I can't understand why there was no adjustment as the Broncos marched down and gutted our blitzes...
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Coach Norv Turner emphasized Tuesday that turnovers will be "eliminated" even if it means scaling back the Chargers' offense.
"Yes, we are going to limit some things we're doing, and I've got to do a better job and make sure we put things in there, and then we're calling things that have less risk," said Turner. "They may not have as big of a reward. We may not be quite the same big-play team, but we're not going to turn the ball over." Philip has shown a curious mix of hesitation and careless aggression behind a subpar offensive line the past two years. Throttling down the offense is obviously a bad omen for his already struggling fantasy value.

Can't scale back the offense when your secondary is letting you get behind. Not going to cut down on the turnovers when your OT's are letting everybody that asks nicely to get to the QB. Can't run the ball too much when your RB hasn't figured out that he has 2 hands.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's Denver comeback reminded me of the ones the Chargers had in 2006-2009, even to some extent 2010. But for some reason this team has just not looked right out there for the past 22 games. They have shown flashes of what we expect, and they are capable of dominating the bottom feeders of the league, but when it comes down to clutch situations these past 2 seasons, you know the Chargers will find a way to screw it up.

Shaun Phillips is the only OLB able to get his hands on the QB. Tell me, where has Antwaan Barnes gone? Can Melvin Ingram start making a name for himself in the right way?

Then the secondary, boy is it worse than any of us imagined. We all knew Cason was bad, but he has been unable to do anything right. He was handed the starting corner spot after Cromartie got his way out of town and has played like garbage since. No one has any sense to bench him though. Gilchrist and Carr and Wright are probably no better, but at least they are probably more physical and don't have to play 10 yards off the line every play. Jammer just looks slow and lost out there. Bibgy hasn't been any worse than other safeties we have had to start opposite Weddle, but is that a positive or a negative?

Then the offense: U-G-L-Y. It seems Ryan Mathews is the only player held responsible for his mistakes on this team. Clary has played like absolute trash year after year but keeps his job, yet Mathews fumbles once this year but gets on the bench? Eddie Royal runs poor routes, Rivers throws terrible passes, Floyd has big drops, but no one gets held accountable. Sickening that this staff can do what it does to some players and not others.

I fully believe with the right players, Norv's scheme can do wonders. I saw that in 2007, 2009, and parts of 2008 and 2010. But he severely lacks as a coach in every other way possible. Gameplan, adjustments, personnel control, player development, etc.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of John Pagano? I haven't been impressed to be honest, his blitzes are not working and he plays conservative at times but the killer has to be his adjustments, they aren't there. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
What do you guys think of John Pagano? I haven't been impressed to be honest, his blitzes are not working and he plays conservative at times but the killer has to be his adjustments, they aren't there. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

I like him, its just our D isn't very talented outside a few players, and they can't do everything. Our main problem is our corners. Our pass rush stable isn't that good right now, but they are very solid. But Cason and Jammer and Gilchrist have all been awful at coverage. I don't know if Wright is the cure all, but I really want to see him, he was great in preseason.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Last night's Denver comeback reminded me of the ones the Chargers had in 2006-2009, even to some extent 2010. But for some reason this team has just not looked right out there for the past 22 games. They have shown flashes of what we expect, and they are capable of dominating the bottom feeders of the league, but when it comes down to clutch situations these past 2 seasons, you know the Chargers will find a way to screw it up.

Shaun Phillips is the only OLB able to get his hands on the QB. Tell me, where has Antwaan Barnes gone? Can Melvin Ingram start making a name for himself in the right way?

Then the secondary, boy is it worse than any of us imagined. We all knew Cason was bad, but he has been unable to do anything right. He was handed the starting corner spot after Cromartie got his way out of town and has played like garbage since. No one has any sense to bench him though. Gilchrist and Carr and Wright are probably no better, but at least they are probably more physical and don't have to play 10 yards off the line every play. Jammer just looks slow and lost out there. Bibgy hasn't been any worse than other safeties we have had to start opposite Weddle, but is that a positive or a negative?

Then the offense: U-G-L-Y. It seems Ryan Mathews is the only player held responsible for his mistakes on this team. Clary has played like absolute trash year after year but keeps his job, yet Mathews fumbles once this year but gets on the bench? Eddie Royal runs poor routes, Rivers throws terrible passes, Floyd has big drops, but no one gets held accountable. Sickening that this staff can do what it does to some players and not others.

I fully believe with the right players, Norv's scheme can do wonders. I saw that in 2007, 2009, and parts of 2008 and 2010. But he severely lacks as a coach in every other way possible. Gameplan, adjustments, personnel control, player development, etc.

That's really debatable. He's a stronger tackler (for the most part) than anyone we've had since Rodney (with the possible exception of Kevin "Codeine Kid" Ellison), however his coverage is horrid. He hasn't me a play-action fake he has been able to resist biting on and biting hard. At least when Gregory got beaten deep he was getting out muscled/jumped for balls and was at least within a few feet of the receiver making the catch... Bigby's been closer to the LOS than he has the receiver on those token deep bombs we're giving up weekly.

Pagano needs to open things up a bit more TBH, at least we saw that in the 1st half, then it completely disappeared in the second half. We blitzed guys in the 2nd half, sure, but we blitzed LB's, not DB's. Here's my question... why exactly are we utilizing zone, heavy cushions, and pass-offs inside of 10 yards from boundary corner to safety if we're not blitzing a DB on the given play? You blitz any extra LB or two, fine... man the damn safeties up on the cursory receivers (TE's and RB) and trust that the blitz is going to do what it intends to do which is get to the QB or force him to make a mistake before he a receiver can shake his coverage. Proper zone-blitz from a 3-4 actually drops off a lineman as extra linebackers (beyond the standard 2) are added to the blitzers. If Pagano was responsible for playing a key part in the strategies that thwarted Peyton in the past he certainly wasn't paying attention to his own notes, because jailbreak blitzing Peyton doesn't work, delayed blitzes up the middle do. We found success with that in the 1st half, we kind of forgot the delay part in the 2nd half and we were leaving guys uncovered and were playing our secondary 10 yards off where the underneath passes were being made (easy connections on 7 and 8-yard comebacks because they know our cushions were at 10 yards).

I realize he's getting a lot of his advice and feed from the headset in his helmet, but I do think a fair amount of blame for lack of adjustments on the field falls on Weddle. What's usually a strong-suit for him, just wasn't. When he did audible we kept going into Cover-1 because he'd call his own number, sort-of get a decent read, and then let the tackle slip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Just curious for those who know more about this stuff than i do, what are some names to look out for as HC candidates if Norv does get fired this offseason? Of the few names i can think of (praying that we dont sign Gruden for the spot), Bisaccia is interesting, but i'm not all that confident in him, the only other guy i can think of is Chud. I thought of Pete Carmichael but i dont know how good he is. I know this is gonna seem like a Joke but Chip Kelly is an interesting guy, though maybe not the best option, he's a guy who's found a way to have success (and will change a lot of his gameplan in the NFL, he came out and said that he will use similar concepts but will run an NFL set last year), and is definitely one of those guys who players fight for.

Kelly + Rivers = no bueno.

Either give us a defensive HC or Chud. Sign a Coryell disciple of some sort as well.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absent a change in ownership I am about to abandon football entirely. We are committed to being mediocre and the ceiling being entrance to the playoffs. I hate the lack of killer instinct our ownership instills into this organization but given my way.

New General Manager:: Eric Decosta
New Head Coach:: Wade Phillips
New Offensive Coordinator:: Hudson Houck
Defensive Coordinator:: John Pagano

I'd instantly have more confidence in this team.

EDIT:: You can replace our training staff with Girl Scouts for all I care and I'd still think it'd be an improvement. I'd love to bring Lorenzo Neal in as our new strength and conditioning coach.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Absent a change in ownership I am about to abandon football entirely. We are committed to being mediocre and the ceiling being entrance to the playoffs. I hate the lack of killer instinct our ownership instills into this organization but given my way.

New General Manager:: Eric Decosta
New Head Coach:: Wade Phillips
New Offensive Coordinator:: Hudson Houck
Defensive Coordinator:: John Pagano

I'd instantly have more confidence in this team.

EDIT:: You can replace our training staff with Girl Scouts for all I care and I'd still think it'd be an improvement. I'd love to bring Lorenzo Neal in as our new strength and conditioning coach.

Wait.... Wade Phillips head coach? The guy worse than Norv? Hudson Houck, an Oline coach failing epically with the line in Dallas now, as OC?

Are you serious?

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houck converted Dielman from defensive line to pro bowl guard. We will run the ball down teams throats. Wade was handicapped in Dallas by the owner. We need a pass rush to compete in this league and while Pagano has earned a passing grade so far I don't want him as our next head coach. Wade has an extensive list of people willing to work for him. We haven't had that since Marty. The other option I toyed with was Fewell or maybe even Jay Gruden.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: