Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JC2832's Pre-Season Team Analysis Jacksonville Jaguars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: JC2832's Pre-Season Team Analysis Jacksonville Jaguars Reply with quote

Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)

Much to our surprise, David Garrard was released right before the season started due to a back injury which left the team with Luke McCown and raw first round pick Blaine Gabbert. After winning week 1 vs Tennessee, McCown was benched after throwing 4 INTs against the Jets. The offense was stagnant at best last year, but the defense kept the team in almost all of their games. The team added Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson to the offense while not losing any major players on defense. The team should improve on both sides and could fight for a wildcard spot, but it all hinges on Gabbert.

Offense:

All accounts from camp and OTAs is that Gabbert's footwork is much improved but those practices are far from a game. He looked anxious in the pocket and didnt step up nearly enough in the pocket to deliver a strike. He has the arm strength to make alot of throws, but his mechanics and footwork have made his accuracy look below average. Gabbert's OL and targets didnt do him any favors though. The WRs couldn't get open and Marcedes Lewis couldnt catch the damn ball. The Jaguars signed Laurent Robinson in the offseason to a hefty contract, but if he is healthy he might be worth that deal, but its unlikely. The Jaguars then traded up 2 spots for Justin Blackmon who soon-after got arrested for aggravated DUI and is still not in camp yet. Even as a rookie, Blackmon is better than any WR Jacksonville had last year. Mike Thomas is supposed to be our slot WR, but his hands have been awful this offseason and he might actually miss the roster if he isnt careful. Cecil Shorts should have himself a good second year for us, especially with Thomas faltering. Marcedes Lewis is among the leagues best blocking TEs, but he wasnt paid all that money last offseason to block, his hands have got to get better for him to be remotely worth that contract. Zach Miller is a mismatch but a very inconsistent target. MJD had a great season last year leading the league in rushing and almost amassing 2000 yards as well despite seeing 9 men in the box due to the poor passing attack. MJD is not in camp though because he wants a new contract so Rashad Jennings is taking the 1st team looks. Jennings has big-play ability, but hasnt had experience carrying the full load more than a handful of times in the NFL. For the OL, Eugene Monroe is our best. He is a Top-15, borderline Top-10 LT in the NFL. Eben Britton needs to come back fully healthy because if Guy Whimper starts another game, Blaine Gabbert might as well put himself on IR. Will Rackley and Uche Nwaneri man the guard positions and perform well, but Rackley has alot to improve on his rookie season and Nwaneri needs to get more push in the run game. Finally, our most proven man on the line: Brad Meester is on his last legs, but is still a reliable Center for the Jaguars. There are way too many question marks about this offense to feel comfortable right now, but if some guys get in camp, I'll feel better.

Defense:

The Aaron Kampman experiment is over due to his inability to stay healthy, but Jeremy Mincey had his best season last year despite having no help opposite him. John Chick and Austen Lane are probably the front-runners for the other DE spot while Andre Branch works himself into the rotation. Tyson Alualu and Terrence Knighton are among the league's best yound duo at DT. Alualu's knee is now healthy and Knighton should also be 100% after being struck in the eye with a bottle at a bar in the offseason. The Jaguars dont have alot of proven depth at DT right now though. Mosley is just a rotational guy, D'Anthony Smith albeit talented is always hurt and Jeris Pendelton is just a 7th round pick from Ashland. The linebackers are a very good trio when healthy, but Clint Sessions once again got hurt last year and the backup OLB Russell Allen had to take over. Brandon Marshall is looking to make an impact on STs while fighting for Sessions spot if he decides to retire due to his concussions. Paul Pozluszny was a major acquisition for the Jaguars and was a huge reason why the front 7 improved last year. Finally, OLB Daryl Smith had himself another great year and is still among the league's best 4-3 OLBs. The Jaguars secondary went from 30th to 7th in just one offseason due to major changes at Safety. Dawan Landry and Dwight Lowery were added and it allowed the Jaguars to front the WRs more rather than give them a 10 yard cushion. The Jaguars dont have much depth at S though. However, at CB, the Jaguars are incredibly deep. Derek Cox is the #1 CB and was on his way to a pro-bowl caliber season before getting hurt. The Jaguars added Aaron Ross and still have Rashean Mathis to fight for the #2 spot. William Middleton is the nickelback and a good one at that. When Mathis, Cox and Middleton got hurt last year, there was a lot of concern but Kevin Rutland and Ashton Youboty added alot of starting experience and actually played very well most of the time. This defense very well could be Top-10 again, and if someone helps out Mincey with applying pressure, they could go even higher

Questions:

1. Will Gabbert take the next step in his development or will the team be looking for a QB at the top of the 2013 draft?

2. Is Justin Blackmon the real deal, and is he going to stop being a problem for the Jaguars?

3. What happens with Maurice Jones-Drew, his holdout and his play after he gets paid or doesnt?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nothing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
What nothing?

Hard to comment without repeating something you stated.

Good post.

Blackmon and MJD, in my opinion, are going to basically be a wash - both have to overcome a lot to be productive, and history tells us neither have much of a chance to do a whole lot (at least early).

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
MightyRx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Mularkey said on his show last night that defensive tackle if the deepest position on the team.
Defensive back is next deepest.
That's why he converted Drew Nowak from DT to Guard and he's looked decent so far. (had a pancake this morning)
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
Coach Mularkey said on his show last night that defensive tackle if the deepest position on the team.
That's why he converted Drew Nowak from DT to Guard and he's looked decent so far. (had a pancake this morning)

I dont see how we are so deep at DT. Other than the starters there isnt alot to be excited about, RIGHT NOW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:

I dont see how we are so deep at DT. Other than the starters there isnt alot to be excited about, RIGHT NOW

I'm just relaying information.
They love the quickness D'Anthony is showing in camp.
C.J. Mosley versatility can pay dividends (he can play DE in certain packages)
Pendleton is a mountain of a man and plays with a mean streak.
The bodies are there. They just have to remain healthy.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:

I know the guys, I'm just saying that Pendleton is unproven, Smith is always hurt and always looks incredible in camp, plus Mosley is a rotational guy and a good one, but the other 2 dont make me think this is a position we are deeper in

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:

I know the guys, I'm just saying that Pendleton is unproven, Smith is always hurt and always looks incredible in camp, plus Mosley is a rotational guy and a good one, but the other 2 dont make me think this is a position we are deeper in

its kinda deep, but could be thin really quick. just like at corner.
were deep. but mathis an cox both were hurt last season. so it could be thin quick as well. are season is all bout bein healthy.

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
MightyRx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:

were deep. but mathis an cox both were hurt last season. so it could be thin quick as well. are season is all bout bein healthy.

Behind Cox and Mathis, you have Ross, Middleton, Youboty, and Harris.
We have very good depth there.
But at DE...
McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
McMorrow_922 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:

Behind Cox and Mathis, you have Ross, Middleton, Youboty, and Harris.
We have very good depth there.
But at DE...

well hope noone gets hurt but its been mentioned beforee, that Alualu could possibly bump out to DE.

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Alualu goes outside, I think we have a problem inside imo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE: Jeremy Mincey, Andre Branch, Austen Lane, Aaron Morgan, George Selvie, (potench) Ryan Davis

They would probably kick D'Anthony Smith outside if they needed to before they would do that with Tyson Alualu.

CB: Derek Cox, Rashean Mathis, Aaron Ross, William Middleton, Kevin Rutland, Mike Harris

I don't think John Chick or Ashton Youboty make it.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
DE: Jeremy Mincey, Andre Branch, Austen Lane, Aaron Morgan, George Selvie, (potench) Ryan Davis

They would probably kick D'Anthony Smith outside if they needed to before they would do that with Tyson Alualu.

CB: Derek Cox, Rashean Mathis, Aaron Ross, William Middleton, Kevin Rutland, Mike Harris

Chick and Youboty were great for us last year while Morgan and Selvie havnt really proven much for us

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

Chick and Youboty were great for us last year while Morgan and Selvie havnt really proven much for us

Chick hasn't made a ton of progress with his injury and is much older with less potential than Morgan and Selvie.

With Youboty, it's a numbers game.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, such a shame we would lose him though, he can be a great depth player and played well last year for us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: