Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Depth Chart
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenorClean2k0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Preseason Depth Chart Reply with quote

The Broncos released their first depth chart of the preseason. Thoughts?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html

Lance Ball 2nd at RB is somewhat surprising
Jason Hunter taking the early 1 at LDE
Carter and Moore are the 1s at safety

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get past the starters(where there are zero surprises), the order of the backups on pre-season depth charts at least on most positions is kind of arbitrary anyway. Some players like Matt Willis look higher than I would have expected and Julius Thomas lower, but really none of this is likely to matter because the actual positions will be determined in pre-season.

EDIT: That's a good point below poster about Wolfe. Guy is 2nd on the Defensive End depth chart behind Hunter. That's kind of weird. It wouldn't shock me if that stayed the same say if Hunter played well in pre-season but my guess is that wouldn't stay the same all season long(unless Wolfe sucks or something) and they would just be bringing the young guy along slowly. I want to see Hunter play this season because based on last year him being a starter at Defensive End would be a huge concern.

Mike Adams is also listed as a backup.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Carter and Kuper are first string.

Carter is definately out, but what about Kuper? Is he indeed so far along that he is able to play for a series or two on Thursday? Or is this depth chart more pro forma? The fact that DJ is still listed as the starter at SLB might indicate that.

- Wolfe listed at DE.

- Ball as the primary back up to Willis.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
- Carter and Kuper are first string.

Carter is definately out, but what about Kuper? Is he indeed so far along that he is able to play for a series or two on Thursday? Or is this depth chart more pro forma? The fact that DJ is still listed as the starter at SLB might indicate that.

- Wolfe listed at DE.

- Ball as the primary back up to Willis.

With DJ starting and Virgil at 3rd string I'm sure this is just a "We had to make one" depth chart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of curveballs as far as "depth" goes. Starters are pretty much true except Jason Hunter.

-Philip Blake 3rd at C, put to rest all the guys around here thinking hes even a starter right now.
-Mike Mohammed 2nd at MLB, interesting to see how that plays out the rest of the year.
-Nate Irving 2nd at SLB, this might actually be a good fit for him. He can fill the void in nickel too.
-The hurt/suspended players, Kuper/Carter/DJ, all starters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three surprising things to me:

Wolfe as a DE - maybe they're just trying him out at DE, but I thought he would be used mainly as a DT when he got his weight up to 300 or so and indications have been he's put on 10 more lbs since the combine which he weighed 295 at.

Adams backing up Carter - weird since Carter is injured and most of us had already pencilled in Adams as a starter.

Lance Ball 2nd string RB - imo Ball just isn't good.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Anti said, not many surprises among starters. I guess Hunter and Carter/Moore are mild surprises. Some of the backups though were interesting.
Defense:
Jackson as a DT and Wolfe as DE.
Ayers swapping sides to back up Doom
Irving as SLB leaving the MLB to Mohammed.

Offense:
Not much here, Harris backing up Franklin I guess since Clark has been taking most of the reps with Franklin out. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Weber move up and Hanie down. Not really too surprised about Ball, Moreno is really slow to rehab plus Ball is listed as our KR. Moreno needs to step it up if he wants to stick.

Be fun to keep a watch on. They'll probably re-release after the Bears game.

Is Franklin cleared to play then?
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Mike Mohammed 2nd at MLB, interesting to see how that plays out the rest of the year.

I'm pretty sure JDR has been using our MLB as part of our nickel base. If I remember correctly, Mohammed is a pretty good cover guy, big rangy and fast, and had excellent combine numbers in the shuttle, etc. Drills usually excelled at by DB's. Main knock on him was his ability to hold up against the run.

Maybe they're planning on tossing him into the mix instead of Mays on nickel situations. Just a thought.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except bizarrely against the Patriots last season, Mays didn't play in nickel anyway. Last year's nickel Linebackers were Woodyard and DJ and right now it will likely be Woodyard and Mohamed.
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

RB is a logjam. Plenty of depth, given our QB, and some raw talent. Would love to see McGahee, Ball, Moreno, and Hillman get the majority of carries this year but we'll see how it plays out. One of those guys could get cut.

Nate Irving as backup SLB? I like it. He's got the speed and straight-line quickness to the ball carrier. Could also serve for more playing time and experience as he grows into a future MLB for us.

WR's are a pretty set with a nice toss up as far as depth with a mix of unproven and wily veterans.

Julius Thomas I hope is not the surprise cut. I would love for him to see some action on Sunday's this year. He needs to work his way up the depth chart, now.

CB's look good. Should be able to contain the vast majority of QB's in the game because we should be getting a more than serviceable pass rush. Tony Carter/Syd'Quan is a toss up to me.

Derek Wolfe is going to get playing time at either position (DE/DT) because his spirit and motor is needed on the field. Would like to see Ayers starting opposite Doom but I think Hunter is underrated by most of the more critital posters around here. Not that much of a drop off between he and Ayers.

We should be able to get a decent push from our DT's this year. Hopefully we're playing with a lead in the 4th Quarter though.

Glad our starting safeties are two second-years in Moore and Carter. Both have shown enough to be given legit chances at perennial starters at their position. One, or both, could still fail though.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Except bizarrely against the Patriots last season, Mays didn't play in nickel anyway. Last year's nickel Linebackers were Woodyard and DJ and right now it will likely be Woodyard and Mohamed.

Yeah, I know. Thats why it surprised me that Mays has been starting in our nickle package. Swap him for Mohamed and that might be a nice group with WW.
PredomntlyOrnge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Moore and Carter prove themselves as the starting safteys, but I really think that 1st game of the season its Adams and Leonhard starting (if his knee is okay)

I think there is a good chance our 2 LB's in the nickel end up being Woodyard and Trevathon until DJ returns.
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:

Yeah, I know. Thats why it surprised me that Mays has been starting in our nickle package. Swap him for Mohamed and that might be a nice group with WW.

Mohamed was very consistant for Cal I used to watch him play. Since I live in California I watch Cal and Stanford games. He should be able to take over Mays spot if he actually breaks out of that shell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over all, the biggest surprises for me were on defense. Lots of re-shuffling. Changes in DTs, DEs, LBs, and Ss. Only the CBs seem to be stable.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Brock is ahead of Weber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: