Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vilma offered deal to drop suspension to 8 games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saintsfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Vilma offered deal to drop suspension to 8 games Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8238319/sources-jonathan-vilma-suspension-reduced-withdraws-civil-suit

Quote:
The NFL has offered to reduce New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma's year-long suspension to eight games as part of ongoing settlement talks involving the league, the NFL Players Association and legal representatives for the four players who were suspended for their alleged participation in the team's bounty program from 2009-2011, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

The league's offer was made late last week but it is conditional upon Vilma dropping a civil lawsuit charging commissioner Roger Goodell with defamation of character, sources said. Vilma has expressed his strong feelings about his tainted reputation.

Well here comes our first break. Hopefully this leads to more with some of the other players.

Adopt-A-Saint 2013
Keenan Lewis 41 tackles 10 PD 3 INT 1 FF
Pierre Thomas 136 car 521 yds 71 rec 503 yds 4 TDS
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046175/article/source-jonathan-vilma-saints-lb-has-no-nfl-settlement-offer?module=HP11_headline_stack

NFL denies it, but I think it came from somewhere.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the report is true, I doubt Vilma takes it.

1) He's lost his starting job. Our LBers looked great and Spags has RAVED about them.

2) He wants to clear his name, taking this deal does the opposite of that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:

1) He's lost his starting job. Our LBers looked great and Spags has RAVED about them.

Not to mention, if this was really offered, then the NFL is definitely scared.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Not to mention, if this was really offered, then the NFL is definitely tired of this thing dragging out.

fify.

Legally, Vilma can do NOTHING to the NFL. They aren't scared of anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless the more details come out that show the NFL falsify information, mishandling evidence, or what happens if coach Payton is called to the stand on behalf of Vilma? Shocked does the gag order from Godell stand in court? Scared? no of course not. But nervous? well why throw that deal out then? Laughing
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint-Anger_13 wrote:
unless the more details come out that show the NFL falsify information, mishandling evidence, or what happens if coach Payton is called to the stand on behalf of Vilma? Shocked does the gag order from Godell stand in court? Scared? no of course not. But nervous? well why throw that deal out then? Laughing

Who says they did actually throw a deal out? An unnamed source for ESPN? Vilma's lawyer? Neither of them are real quality sources. Why would they offer Vilma a deal, just to deny it later?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely honest, I'm tired of seeing some Saints fans (nobody in particular) playing the victim card, or grasping at crazy theories about how the NFL is just out to get us or how they handing out punishments with no evidence. It makes us as a fanbase look whiney and as a whole, we are all losing credibility.

It's a forum, and you're free to express yourself in any way you wish within the rules of the forum, I'm not trying to censor anyone in any way. I just ask you all to try your best to look at this in the most objective way you can. If it were the Falcons or Panthers, would you even consider that the NFL may have brewed up their own evidence or added a little extra to strengthen their case?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Not to mention, if this was really offered, then the NFL is definitely tired of this thing dragging out.

fify.

The judge can lift the suspension... Which would lead to everyone being unsuspended. Which means that there essentially is no penalty for the bounty program besides the loss of draft picks & Payton being suspended.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

The judge can lift the suspension... Which would lead to everyone being unsuspended. Which means that there essentially is no penalty for the bounty program besides the loss of draft picks & Payton being suspended.

The judge is not deciding whether or not there was a bounty system or not. So many Saints fans are forgetting this.

The judge is deciding on whether or not Vilma's public image was hurt because Goodell intentionally misused information or spread lies about him.

1) Goodell will win the case, easily.
2) Even if Goodell lost that case, the judge likely wouldn't touch the punishments or suspensions, other than maybe Vilma.

Unless the NFL actually offers a deal to Vilma and he takes it, I don't see any other suspensions being changed.

Everyone needs to quit grasping at straws. The Saints had a bounty system, the Saints got caught, the Saints are now facing the music.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

The judge is not deciding whether or not there was a bounty system or not. So many Saints fans are forgetting this.

The judge is deciding on whether or not Vilma's public image was hurt because Goodell intentionally misused information or spread lies about him.

2) Even if Goodell lost that case, the judge likely wouldn't touch the punishments or suspensions, other than maybe Vilma.

Unless the NFL actually offers a deal to Vilma and he takes it, I don't see any other suspensions being changed.

Everyone needs to quit grasping at straws. The Saints had a bounty system, the Saints got caught, the Saints are now facing the music.

Maybe you've let it been beat into you so much that you just accept it, but I still don't accept that we had a bounty system. We had a pay for play system which we were told to stop and didn't and lied about, which we are paying the piper for, but I still haven't seen a single piece of hard evidence that showed a Bounty system as the league would like to portray it.

If Vilma continues to fight and there becomes true transparency, due to the lawsuit requiring the NFL to turn over any and all possible evidence they might have, the court can actually overturn the NFL's decision to suspend him if there is not sufficent evidence, much like the Starcaps situation originally.

The biggest issue if there is a lack of or even weak evidence is that Goodell could be found guilty of defamation and of manufaturing a case to try and appease the head trauma issue.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

Quote:
With Judge Helen G. Berrigan posing questions during a July 26 hearing that suggested she may be leaning toward lifting linebacker Jonathan Vilma’s suspension — and possibly overturning all of the suspensions later — the league reportedly has offered a middle ground.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/report-league-offers-to-cut-vilmas-suspension-in-half/

That is all.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

Quote:
With Judge Helen G. Berrigan posing questions during a July 26 hearing that suggested she may be leaning toward lifting linebacker Jonathan Vilma’s suspension — and possibly overturning all of the suspensions later — the league reportedly has offered a middle ground.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/report-league-offers-to-cut-vilmas-suspension-in-half/

That is all.

1) That was 2 weeks ago, a LOT has changed since then.

2) LMAO. Did you even read what I said? That article pretty much supports what I said. Laughing

Either you didn't comprehend what I wrote, you didn't read what I wrote, or you just quoted a single line of an article, without reading the rest.

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

Maybe you've let it been beat into you so much that you just accept it, but I still don't accept that we had a bounty system. We had a pay for play system which we were told to stop and didn't and lied about, which we are paying the piper for, but I still haven't seen a single piece of hard evidence that showed a Bounty system as the league would like to portray it.

If Vilma continues to fight and there becomes true transparency, due to the lawsuit requiring the NFL to turn over any and all possible evidence they might have, the court can actually overturn the NFL's decision to suspend him if there is not sufficent evidence, much like the Starcaps situation originally.

The biggest issue if there is a lack of or even weak evidence is that Goodell could be found guilty of defamation and of manufaturing a case to try and appease the head trauma issue.

So what do you think cartoffs and knockouts mean? You honestly believe they were just metaphors for big hits? Even if a "cart off" is only making someone sit out for a few plays, that's still an intent to injure. That's a bounty.

You guys are in such bad denial. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

fify.

So what do you think cartoffs and knockouts mean? You honestly believe they were just metaphors for big hits? Even if a "cart off" is only making someone sit out for a few plays, that's still an intent to injure. That's a bounty.

You guys are in such bad denial. Laughing

Like I said, Bounty system as they put it. Did you research the one "cart off" that happened? It was a fluke play where the tackle that was carted off was hit by accident. That really shows intent to injure...

Did they get paid a little more if they had a big hit that knocked someone out? Yes. Did they have a direct intent to injure a player? No? Why would you have an intent to injure when the fines from such a play would be more than a bounty would pay out?

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: