Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 1 GDT: Houston Texans vs Carolina Panthers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write-ups from game via chron.com

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-wishes-come-true-in-win-over-panthers-but-they-find-plenty-room-for-improvement/

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/former-uh-star-keenum-and-former-am-kicker-bullock-earn-praise-in-debuts/

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/arian-foster-fumbling-again/

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-holliday-knows-highlight-reel-td-will-not-be-enough/
jargin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First preseason game done.

I'm just impressed with the depth of talent.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
First preseason game done.

I'm just impressed with the depth of talent.

+1
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure nobody saw this, but Shaun Cody

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-nose-tackle-cody-suffers-back-disk-injury-needs-further-evaluation/

Quote:
The only notable injury the Texans suffered in their 26-13 preseason victory at Carolina involved nose tackle Shaun Cody.

Cody suffered a back injury that involved one of his disks, according to coach Gary Kubiak. Cody received an epidural to get some relief for the pain in his back.

Its a disk issue, Kubiak said at his Sunday news conference. Its going to be evaluated. Obviously, hes going to miss some time.

They didn't really talk about the Cody injury during the broadcast. I wonder how long long he will be out for? Come on down Mitchell!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Not sure nobody saw this, but Shaun Cody

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-nose-tackle-cody-suffers-back-disk-injury-needs-further-evaluation/

Quote:
The only notable injury the Texans suffered in their 26-13 preseason victory at Carolina involved nose tackle Shaun Cody.

Cody suffered a back injury that involved one of his disks, according to coach Gary Kubiak. Cody received an epidural to get some relief for the pain in his back.

Its a disk issue, Kubiak said at his Sunday news conference. Its going to be evaluated. Obviously, hes going to miss some time.

They didn't really talk about the Cody injury during the broadcast. I wonder how long long he will be out for? Come on down Mitchell!

Disk injury is serious. It derailed my high school career. If Cody gets IRed, I wonder if we're going to keep Harris/Fangupo on the roster or sign a guy late from another team.
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and my brief thoughts after watching the game twice:

Offense:
- Schaub looked, dare I say, spry. Aside from the unfortunate turnover which was mostly just a well-designed blitz, Schaub looks set to have his best year yet.
- I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to see Grimes take Forsett's roster spot. Forsett may be looking great in practice, but he looked a lot like Steve Slaton out there. Grimes had good patience, vision, and power -- not unlike a smaller Ben Tate.
- Jean and Martin ought to be valuable assets. Martin appeared to have a good feel for the offense already and may be exactly what the coaches had always hoped Jones would be. Jean continues to make impressive plays. I'd like to see both Jean and Posey get real snaps against first team defenses.
- Carolina's defense is bad, but I didn't notice a significant difference between Caldwell and Brooks. Newton was significantly worse than Butler, though.
- Graham. Casey, and Daniels look identical out there on the field. Daniels is also sporting some new ink. I like it.

Defense:
- Our defense is really, really good.
- Our top three outside linebackers are excellent, but Reed really looks the part. Comfortable in coverage and impossible to handle in pass-rush situations. Barwin's arms also appear to be roughly twice as big in diameter as the were last year.
- Tim Dobbins should, perhaps, start instead of Bradie James.
- Kareem Jackson looked good. Had some agility that he displayed when he broke on that pass. Maybe, just maybe, he plays like a first round pick this year? Would that be too much to ask? None of the rest of the secondary stood out in any particular way. The PI calls were bogus, Harris had a great tackle, and I don't remember the safeties doing much of anything besides Nolan's INT. Also McCain needs to stick to Nickel.
- Cody is hurt. If it's a serious issue, I hope Fangupo gets more looks.

Special Teams:
- I find the idea of Holliday making the team repugnant, but if he returns like that, he ought to. Wow.
- Bullock nailing that kick was incredible. He had to have removed just about any doubt with that. He wasn't even THAT good at A&M.
- When does Hartmann get back? Jones was awful.
CAS22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin reminds me of Santonio Holmes when he was a rookie. Holmes ought to be his ceiling with a more likely career path being a very solid slot WR and weapon.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quick hit" thoughts, courtesy of ET:

- First up: Trindon Holliday has NOT earned himself a roster spot. Now, I know he looked good on that KR TD, and he even looked good on the 2nd return, but the return game isn't what we're looking for now. It's great, but in his 3rd year, we were hoping for more of a presence on his maturation as a WR. The KR TD has given him a stay of execution, but he has GOT to make himself known.

- Speaking of WRs...that Martin kid is starting to impress me. I've always taken coachspeak with a grain of salt, but Martin looks like he's quite the player. Made some nice catches, and...dare I say, a nice 12 yard gain on a reverse? When was the last time we saw this team run a reverse? Martin might not rack up a lot of receptions and yards (but he very well COULD do so) however I see him becoming a Percy Harvin-esque player, someone the team starts getting creative with in getting the ball in his hands. Gi five wide, motion Martin in the backfield and give it to him on a delayed sweep, screen passes out of the slot...heck, even some Wildcat for Martin. Interestingly enough, you know what impressed me the most about Martin? The Arian Foster fumble. Foster was making some good yardage out of the play, the ball came spurting out, chaos ensued...and while we didn't recover, Martin was sitting right there amidst the chaos. That tells me that he playes with his head on a swivel; Even though he's a rookie and has a million assignments swimming through his head, he's got enough to know what is going on and will quickly react when things go sour. That is going to help out a LOT when Matt Schaub feels pressure and the play breaks down. Martin has that mindset to break off his route and give Schaub a quick read to check down on when the heat is on. Very much a need for any team...

- Don't, don't, DON'T...tell me we have a QB controversy. We don't. Reason I say this is because I heard Fred Davis and Ted Johnson talking about the bevy of texts they got, calling for TJ Yates to start with the ones next week. OK, so Schaub threw an INT - against some fierce defenders in his face. He tried to sneak a pass in the middle of coverage, and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. That happens; I'm sure the play called for a different option, had Matt not had a hand right in his grill. While Matt doesn't deserve a pass for the errant throw, he surely doesn't deserve to be busted down to the twos with it. Outside of that one pass, Matty looked pretty darn fierce out there, with a BIG throw to OD on a third down play. Great presence to make a critical throw early on, and he made it. Remember - guy hasn't seen live action since November, there's bound to be some rust. Even then, looks like the rust was minimal at best.

- For some reason, if Matt were to go down this season - or if he were to get a $120MM deal from Seattle this offseason - the team is in GOOD hands with TJ Yates. Por que? Weren't you just telling us that there IS no QB controversy? Yes. But, lemmie splain...just because we don't doesn't necessarily mean that we don't have to be concerned at the QB position for the next 20+ weeks, along with the few months after the season. Matt could get hurt...Matt could have an MVP season and entertain a massive offer for his services. One way or another, we have a solid QB behind him, someone who could take over if Matty is not a Texan next year. Yates is showing me stuff that has really caught my eye - the game isn't too big for him, he's composed and can make big throws when the opportunity presents itself. The WORST case scenario for our QB situation is that Yates gets in due to a Matt injury, and that would probably lower some expectations - from a projected 12-4 season to a projected 10-6 season. Still playoff bound, still poised to make noise in said playoffs. It's a good problem to have, quite honestly.

- Boy oh boy, does that right side of the OL need some work. I am going to chalk it up as overthinking the whole process this time, but that right side did not look good in this game. Neither Rashard Butler or Derek Newton showed the required foot speed to play in pass protection, and both were getting beat at the point of attack. Now - before I throw my hands up and tell everyone the sky is falling, I will say that Eric Winston didn't show that either...yet we managed to survive. Both of our RTs need to step it up big time and distance themselves from one another. Right now, Butler would probably get the nod - not because he earned it, but because he didn't suck as bad as Newton, who was something awful out there. I say light a fire under their behinds, give all 2nd/3rd snaps to Nick Mondeck. SOMEONE has got to step up, and if ButtNewt ain't gonna do it, maybe Mondeck would like a chance to get some PT.

- Ladies and gentlemen, we have a red zone issue. Again. The team had kinda-sorta quelled the past RZ issues with Joel Dreessen, a bloodhound for the marker. Now that he's gone, nobody has really stepped into that void. Sure, James Casey and Garrett Graham has STEPPED into the role, but they haven't STEPPED into the role...get what I'm saying? It takes a sense to know where the hole is going to be when you get into the 20, and Joel D had that; He just saw the lanes open up, and he'd sit down a few inches from the end zone, catch a pass and bulkl his way for the score. Nobody on this team can do that...yet. Hopefully, Graham can find that eye, but if not...we might have to get a bit sneaky down there, or bite the bullet and see if Plax can do his jump ball routine for us...that is, if Miami or New England doesn't sign him, that is.

- We have THE best defense in the NFL. That's it. Nothing more to say. There is not a single weakness you can point at...save for ONE guy...

- Alan Ball. My oh my, is this guy bad. Dallas fans tried to warn us, but wow...you gotta see that level of suck firsthand to really understand how bad he is. We were quick to point out the resurgance of former Dallas CB Jacques Reeves when talking about Ball, and truth is - Ball IS like Reeves (A bigger, more chiseled Reeves, but Reeves nonetheless). He can hang with a WR, stick stride-for-stride with a guy...but he couldn't locate the ball if you painted it bright yellow with a soundbox attached to it that screams "ALAN BALL, THE PASS IS HEADED YOUR WAY! LOOK UP, SON! LOOK UP!" Ball has the same issues that Reeves had. Now, when your CB depth looked like Dunta Robinson and Fred Bennett, Jacko's skill was just that - a skill, one that was needed. Now, with one of the top three CBs in Jonathan Joseph, an ever improving Kareem Jackson (more on him later) and two young pups in Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris (more on HIM later) and that skill is nothing more than a burden. If Ball makes this team, I am charging this to cronyism - courtesy of Wade Phillips.

- Ok, more on those other two guys. Dare I say...Kareem looked pretty damn good out there. Maybe we tailored coverage to where Kareem could focus on that 0-15 yard area where he is adept at, but no matter what we tried, Jackson lived up to his billing. He had one of the best TD creators in Steve Smith to account for, in man coverage. Now, Smitty has made a career of making folks look dumb in this situation, and Kareem has made a career of looking dumb in this situation...but Jackson played that as well as you can expect, letting Smitty clear wide over the top, and sealing out the out route, right as Newton made the throw. Very vet move by the young CB, and a sign of some improvement. We shall see if this is the exception or the norm...but I'm impressed for now. Next up, the kid from the U, who was all over the place for the team. Kubs and company said the light went off for Harris, and it certainly looked like it - guy was quick to the ball regardless of run or pass. Played physical, played the ball well, played the WR well. A very well rounded game that showed what he can do, and I can't wait to see him on the field more often. Guy is a gamer.

- There are about 16 teams that would KILL to have Bryan Brahman and Whitney Mercilius starting for them at OLB. Good teams, at that. Non-stop motors, get after the ballcarrier and show now mercy when they get there. They both were something explosive off the snap of the ball, and both of 'em were getting free lanes when they had a chance to strike. Mercilius will see the field a lot, but I'm a bit sad for Brahman - guy is just stuck underneath a pile of OLB, and unless he starts Kevin Greene-ing it with his time, there aren't enough snaps to get him out there. I still believe that we need to IR Brahman, put him on a strict muscle building diet, work him with our DE unit and trot him out next season as a 5-Tech; I think that would be the best way to get him on the field, bulk him up and let him get into the Antonio Smith/JJ Watt rotation. Guy NEEDS to be on the field, but with murderer's row at OLB, who do you take OFF of the field?

- The Panthers are my unofficial 2nd team (thanks to Winslow Oliver from Kempner HS in Sugar Land, TX...as well as Mr. fretgod99). It would be remiss of me to not give them some praise, and OLB Luke Kuechly makes that easy for me. That guy is going to be a superstar one day; Seems like he was in on any major play, stripping the ball from Foster, stonewalling Tate at the LOS, playing some good coverage - I can see why the guy is amongst the top 2 in all time tackles in the NCAA, guy is a machine out there. He's the "safe" pick for DROY, given his position and propensity to make splashy plays. Unless Morris Clayborn/Mark Barron can pick off 10 passes, or DE Chandler Jones/OLB Courtney Upshaw can rack up 10+ sacks, Kuechly will have all of the numbers and highlight reel plays to walk away with the award.

Feel free to pick up stuff that I left off...Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with ET. I'm not advocating starting Yates (at all. That's NOT what I want), but Yates looked comfortable in his skin as a backup and I have to believe that Houston has one of the better backup situations in the league. The dude is cool as ice under pressure.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot (and am now advocating amongst the rest of the site via NFL General):

- Brooks Reed is the BEST OLB in the NFL. Calling it now. People will be saying the same thing come week 6, when Reed has 10 sacks and has a bead on Michael Strahan's sack record. I don't think I have ever seen such a quick, brutal first step as I see with Reed, and he finally has a grasp of being what is asked of him, coming into a season where he's had a full year's worth of tutoring at OLB. Guy is Kevin Greene, reborn.

It's moreso than him being the best OLB on this team - he's the best OLB in the NFL, and will show it firsthand this upcoming season.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

- We have THE best defense in the NFL. That's it. Nothing more to say. There is not a single weakness you can point at...save for ONE guy...

- Alan Ball. My oh my, is this guy bad. Dallas fans tried to warn us, but wow...you gotta see that level of suck firsthand to really understand how bad he is. We were quick to point out the resurgance of former Dallas CB Jacques Reeves when talking about Ball, and truth is - Ball IS like Reeves (A bigger, more chiseled Reeves, but Reeves nonetheless). He can hang with a WR, stick stride-for-stride with a guy...but he couldn't locate the ball if you painted it bright yellow with a soundbox attached to it that screams "ALAN BALL, THE PASS IS HEADED YOUR WAY! LOOK UP, SON! LOOK UP!" Ball has the same issues that Reeves had. Now, when your CB depth looked like Dunta Robinson and Fred Bennett, Jacko's skill was just that - a skill, one that was needed. Now, with one of the top three CBs in Jonathan Joseph, an ever improving Kareem Jackson (more on him later) and two young pups in Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris (more on HIM later) and that skill is nothing more than a burden. If Ball makes this team, I am charging this to cronyism - courtesy of Wade Phillips.

Matts4313 wrote:
Step 1 - Sign Alan Ball

Step 2 - Cut Alan Ball

Step 3 - .......

PARTY

ET80 - Whats funny is you and Slam have an exchange here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13511944#13511944

Its awfully prophetic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When was the last time we saw this team run a reverse?

4 times last year with Jacoby Laughing

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I would love to see Holiday get some time at WR or RB too. I remember last season he got some playing time during the preseason on offense. But I don't think it would be fair to cut Holiday because he can't play WR if we don't even let him play it in the preseason. It is also understandable as to why he wouldn't get reps at WR because we have so many young WRs who need to get those reps to gain experience who come as a bigger priority than Holiday. I for one would be perfectly fine keeping Holiday as a 6th WR if he continues to return kicks and punts like he did on Saturday. I also wish our offense was a little more aggressive in letting Holiday get the ball, I feel like other teams would definitely want to see what he could do on offense especially in the preseason. Why not try doing a toss to Holiday and seeing him try to get to the outside turning up field faster than a bullet or try a screen to him and maneuver his way up field. He is so quick and, for being a little guy, very hard to tackle.

I am really excited to see Kareem play again. He improved last year and he seems to have improved again and he wasn't facing any slouch of a WR or QB either. If he can keep up that play that he showcased on Saturday JJo and him will be a top CB tandem this year. JJo presence here has really helped him a lot I think.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Matts4313 wrote:
Step 1 - Sign Alan Ball

Step 2 - Cut Alan Ball

Step 3 - .......

PARTY

ET80 - Whats funny is you and Slam have an exchange here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13511944#13511944

Its awfully prophetic.

Meh. Not too worried about it. Seems like our 1-5 is pretty set, it would take a bus crash to get Ball on the field for extensive time. At the most, he'll top out as a ST guy, someone who plays as a gunner. Our top 3 is set, and Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael will be duking it out for the 4-5 spots.

Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see how long of a leash Schaub has if he blows up this year considering we have a more than capable backup.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
It would be interesting to see how long of a leash Schaub has if he blows up this year considering we have a more than capable backup.

As long as he wants it to be, IMO. Providing he is healthy, he will start all 16 games. I don't see a reason why to introduce an element that can negatively affect a team that is poised to make the playoffs and do some damage in the playoffs. When was the last time you saw a QB lead his team to the playoffs while having to look over his shoulder at the backup?

Matt Schaub is the starter at QB, unless he gets hurt or signs elsewhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: