Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Avril ends holdout
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Avril ends holdout Reply with quote

Pretty much self explanatory... Cliff ended his holdout today and signed his tender.

As far as I'm concerned, this pretty much ends all the drama... Up until this offseason, at least. I'm extremely glad this holdout didn't go into the season. Hopefully he can at least replicate his 2011 season and get the contract he really wanted all along... and hopefully it's with us. Laughing

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8235834/detroit-lions-de-cliff-avril-ends-holdout-reports-camp

Apparently it's also in the TC thread, so in case people find this deserving of it's own thread, I'll give credit to the guy that broke it first;

Maverick12 wrote:
Look who's back.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/08/detroit_lions_de_cliff_avril_r.html

Per Tim Twentyman:
Quote:
Lions defensive end Cliff Avril ended his holdout this morning and reported to Lions training camp.

Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. put up or shut up time cliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:

In one of many articles I read Mayhew stated that he liked that Cliff was confident in himself and wanted to prove his worth for a bigger contract. So he is either going to earn it or be much cheaper next year.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gots a question... what if avril were to get hurt this year is he still worth what he is asking for? asking more toward the people who would pay him that. OR what if he doesnt do as good as last but he knows he will still get big bucks if he hits FA. sounds/seem like a no win forthe lions..if he sucks his trade value is gone but he knows some sucker in FA pays him. i would have still tried to trade him. bc you never nohow someone elses mind works. avril probably will get his either way..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

In one of many articles I read Mayhew stated that he liked that Cliff was confident in himself and wanted to prove his worth for a bigger contract. So he is either going to earn it or be much cheaper next year.
why would he play cheaper? hes a FA right? some team would overpay,you know it. only one losing anything in this will be the lions if it gets ugly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

why would he play cheaper? hes a FA right? some team would overpay,you know it. only one losing anything in this will be the lions if it gets ugly

If he dosnt perform at the level of the top DE's, he won't get paid like one. People saw the Charles Johnson contract last year and then see his production decrease. If he proves to be a good but not great DE, his price will come down.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he held out until after his kid's birthday.

Hate to say it. I can't really blame him. Might be a bit selfish, but time with the kids is irreplaceable. Good man.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

If he dosnt perform at the level of the top DE's, he won't get paid like one. People saw the Charles Johnson contract last year and then see his production decrease. If he proves to be a good but not great DE, his price will come down.

I fully expect his price to rightfully go up at the end of the season.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

I agree, but it will be due to having a great season. If he dosnt, his price won't go up.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

I agree, but it will be due to having a great season. If he dosnt, his price won't go up.

I should have been a bit more clear, my bad. That's what I meant with bolded.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

glad you think so. big money gets thrown around in FA. no way hes taking something less and you already know this..how much money do top DEs get? cant be to much more than hes already asking for...lions lose value on ther product either way imo. thats why i trade now, so overpay even more after thisseason or lose trade value. no win imo. i cant see where the lions make out good on thisone if they wait.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

glad you think so. big money gets thrown around in FA. no way hes taking something less and you already know this..how much money do top DEs get? cant be to much more than hes already asking for...lions lose value on ther product either way imo. thats why i trade now, so overpay even more after thisseason or lose trade value. no win imo. i cant see where the lions make out good on thisone if they wait.

That sounds like a very biased statement. Big money gets thrown around in free agency but if a player is coming off a down year, they aren't going to get paid for their best year previous to it. He will take less than he is asking for if he has fewer sacks and impact plays because teams won't pay what he asked for this year.

The Lions can win in a couple ways however. 1. Cliff has a slightly down year and he signs for what we offered this year. We win because we get a very good DE at a price that we feel is fair. 2. He blows up and we franchise him again at 13 mil. His trade value would be at an all time high or we can then decide to sign him long term, which isn't a loss when he obviously wanted that kind of money this year and we would have more than one breakout year to go off of. 3. He flops and Young or Lo Jack have big years, we decide not to resign him and save the money.

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Avril. Hit the field play the games and see what happens.

I found this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=476068&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I found this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=476068&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wow. Very interesting. A lot changes when the players stop playing.

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
just to bad if we do get nothing. they should have saw this coming if he had a good year. i still think they should of trade him last year knowing they might be gun shy about signing him. imo we could / would be sitting on a nice pick right now. and could make a move up in the draft if we wanted.
And we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs, being that we wouldn't have had our top play-maker on the defensive side of the ball.

I think there's a great chance we re-sign Avril for a reasonable price. As good as he was, there were a bunch of DE's around the league that were even better. This forum panics about overpaying any halfway decent player, just like they did with Tulloch and Houston a year ago.

Avril isn't any better than KVB was when we acquired him, and I expect us to re-sign Avril for around the same amount we got KVB for.

Mmmmm. Golden.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: