Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Pre-Season week 1 : Saints vs Patriots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back and watching the defensive snaps, I don't think Cunningham is anywhere near the bubble. I may be way off base, but when he was in with the other first team guys, he was getting the edge more consistently than anybody out there, and was stout as heck setting the edge.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on Steve Gregory & Chung?
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:

Chung still takes too many bad angles for my liking. Gregory was very steady. Always seemed to be in position, was there to fill and make a tackle when the Saints broke contain and got to the second level in the running game. I think he might end up being a sort-of rich man's James Sanders - not a great athlete, but in position and ready to make a play when one presents itself, and with more range than Sanders had. Wilson was active, too. Not ready to declare the safety position fixed, but it's far less of a problem at the moment than it has been in past years.
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

Chung still takes too many bad angles for my liking. Gregory was very steady. Always seemed to be in position, was there to fill and make a tackle when the Saints broke contain and got to the second level in the running game. I think he might end up being a sort-of rich man's James Sanders - not a great athlete, but in position and ready to make a play when one presents itself, and with more range than Sanders had. Wilson was active, too. Not ready to declare the safety position fixed, but it's far less of a problem at the moment than it has been in past years.

Im not seeing where chung is taking bad angles.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
Richter wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

The worst was the long completion on 3rd and 22 where Sterling Moore was in coverage. He was the safety help on the play, and he took a really shallow angle to the sideline that prevented him from breaking up the play. Looked like if he took a better angle, he'd have been there in time to at least break up the pass, or possibly intercept it. He also had a poor angle on a running play of the first series with Chase Daniel at QB, where the edge was sealed and he came up to fill the hole, but took too steep an angle and had to flatten out and run down the line of scrimmage before turning back up field to help with a tackle on Pierre Thomas.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chung was pretty disappointing in my eyes. He wasn't horrible, but he doesn't look like he's really developed at all. For a guy entering a contract year and looking to prove he's a guy we can count on, not very promising.

Obviously just preseason game #1, but safeties shouldn't be impacted by that much. You still have to cover the man in your zone.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
AsantePats22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to my first game, sitting on the 30 yard line? Man that place is incredible...and huge.

Impressive, it was fun despite it seemingly as if no one really played well.

I liked that they gave the ball to Ridley alot though, or from what I saw at least, he seemed like he's a pretty good RB and had some nice runs.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
*Didn't see anything to suggest one of the young DT guys (Love, Deaderick, Pryor, Brace) is gonna step up this year. We need that help.

Proyr and Brance didn't play... and i thought Love was pretty solid.

Eh, looked like the same player he did last year to me, which isn't taking a step forward. Solid but got gashed once and wasn't really distruptive either. Deaderick was very bad at defensive tackle. Not a welcome development...

I think that playing with Chandler is going to help him a bunch. If he lines up next to him on a regular basis, he'll cause a lot of disruption. There was a great play in the first quarter where Chandler held his POA, set the edge, and then Love was able to come through and make a big TFL.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
TKOhitter8737 wrote:
Richter wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

The worst was the long completion on 3rd and 22 where Sterling Moore was in coverage. He was the safety help on the play, and he took a really shallow angle to the sideline that prevented him from breaking up the play. Looked like if he took a better angle, he'd have been there in time to at least break up the pass, or possibly intercept it. He also had a poor angle on a running play of the first series with Chase Daniel at QB, where the edge was sealed and he came up to fill the hole, but took too steep an angle and had to flatten out and run down the line of scrimmage before turning back up field to help with a tackle on Pierre Thomas.

Personally, I think that was a miscommunication rather than simply on Chung. It seemed like Moore let his man up too quickly. Can't say that for sure, of course.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
BostonZombie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is ....Jones and Hightower.

Jones is able to twist his body , get good angels , and over-power linemen. One he gets used to the pace and feel of the NFL he is going to light some QBs up. Has awesome sizeand power but able to get under linemen like Freeney.

Hightower looked good as well. Dude was always around the ball. Needs to tackle instead of just smashing into the ball handler.

It was only a preseason game but you can already see that these guys should make an improvement to the defense. 80% of the time rookies are basically invisible . Maybe I'm just biased, but my expectations were surpassed.

AAP: Kyle Love Machine - Tackles - 5
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonZombie wrote:
All I can say is ....Jones and Hightower.

Jones is able to twist his body , get good angels , and over-power linemen. One he gets used to the pace and feel of the NFL he is going to light some QBs up. Has awesome sizeand power but able to get under linemen like Freeney.

Hightower looked good as well. Dude was always around the ball. Needs to tackle instead of just smashing into the ball handler.

It was only a preseason game but you can already see that these guys should make an improvement to the defense. 80% of the time rookies are basically invisible . Maybe I'm just biased, but my expectations were surpassed.

The thing that impressed me about Hightower was his movement. I never doubted that he was explosive going downhill in short areas to kill ballcarriers, but I was worried he doesn't have the fluidity and gears to play in space or get places fast moving sideways. In his college videos, he seemed to be stuck in second gear a lot. Last night he looked pretty mobile. It was good to see because I don't want him to end up being "a good player BUT..." like Spikes.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Going back and watching the defensive snaps, I don't think Cunningham is anywhere near the bubble. I may be way off base, but when he was in with the other first team guys, he was getting the edge more consistently than anybody out there, and was stout as heck setting the edge.

For me Cunningham was one of the bright spots. Early indications are that the camp reports were onto something - he really does look like a different player. I thought he did a better job containing the run than Ninkovich did at end.

The bad news is... he had 3 Cunninghams last night. Or 2.5, if you can split a Cunningham with someone else.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've seen 4-3 reg D, 4-3 over I believe, and 43 Leo (one of the DE is in a 2pt stance).
Richter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

For me Cunningham was one of the bright spots. Early indications are that the camp reports were onto something - he really does look like a different player. I thought he did a better job containing the run than Ninkovich did at end.

The bad news is... he had 3 Cunninghams last night. Or 2.5, if you can split a Cunningham with someone else.

Even though we joke about it, Cunninghams are valuable to a defense. Any time you can make the quarterback uncomfortable in the pocket, or better yet, move him off his spot, it's a win for the defense. Of course you'd rather have the sack, but forcing a bad pass or a throwaway can be every bit as good.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally caught the game on NFLN.

Jones looked really impressive. As did Ridley.

Mallett still needs a lot of work.

I thought I was going to die listening to the commentary, though.

ELRammy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: