Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Pre-Season week 1 : Saints vs Patriots
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: GDT Pre-Season week 1 : Saints vs Patriots Reply with quote

Pre-Season Week 1
Thursday August 9th, 2012
Gillette Stadium, 8:30PM EST

**** New Orleans Saints vs New England Patriots ****

The day has finally come! We're just over a week away from real, live Patriots football against real, live NFL talent! Some people can't get themselves up for pre-season football, but after 6 months this feels like a playoff game to me. (We won't see that on the field obviously). But the fact that we will finally get our first pro looks at Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette, Dennard and all the other rookies and free agent acquisitions is pretty exciting!

Arrow It's near impossible to break down a pre-season match up, because lets face it, first teams will only see about 1 quarter of action max. But it will start to paint a more clear picture of what we have with the 2012 edition of the team. Here are a few things that I will personally be hoping to get a good look at.

- Defensive attitude: Did this team get tougher? We need to develop a more physical presence on the defensive side of the football. Teams are currently walking on to the field at Gillette with no fear in their hearts. (Offensively) That needs to change this year. With the young leaders we have at linebacker, I look to them in terms of setting the tone for how this defense is going to play this year. Mayo, Spikes and Hightower along with guys like Chung, Wilfork and Jones need to set an emotional precedence that the rest of the defense can feed off of.

- Young players becoming productive veterans: I'm looking at two area's specifically. Running back and defensive back. Ridley and Vereen have been handed the keys to a Ferrari. Tom's Ferrari. They just drive it on weekends, because lets face it. This is still Brady's offense. But the running game is primarily in their hands. I don't care which of them gets the title "starter" or who gets more carries, I'm fine with them both getting 10-14 a game each! As long as they prove productive in their primary talent area. Ridley will obviously need to hold on to the football everywhere, but specifically in the redzone. He has an opportunity to approach a double digit touchdown season if he can. Short yard will fall primarily to him, but now, unlike BJGE we know have a player that can go 50 yards for a touchdown on 3rd and 2. Vereen will hopefully flash as a runner on earlier downs but also in the passing game. He and Ridley should see an influx of screen passes this year with Josh McDaniels back in town. They had their seperate issues throughout their rookie seasons but they will be looked at to play at a high level entering their 2nd NFL seasons.

As for our defensive backs, Dowling, Wilson, McCourty and even Chung to some degree need to stabilize the position. We all know how volatile last season was. The fans, and team had very little confidence in what the secondary could provide the defense last year. With a new mix of young and veteran players back there, and new pieces added to the front 7 which should be improved, the opportunity is there. Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore and Steve Gregory will all play crucial rolls as well. It's yet to be determined whether someone can emerge from this group as a leader on the field, but my hope is that it will be Ras-I Dowling. Dowling is a guy that I saw quite a bit of in college, and had high hopes for him as a pro, but he has shown again that he has great difficulty staying healthy. If he is, he has been extremely productive. Even flashing in his limited NFL snaps. He has the talent to be a starting NFL cornerback, we will need that out of him this year.

As always, the only thing the ultimately matter is that we don't come away from this game with any major injury to key players. Win or lose, doesn't matter as long as we are seeing production from key area's where the team needed to improved. Hoyer and Mallet should see plenty of action of the next month. Some growth from Mallet would be a very welcomed sight as well!

GO PATRIOTS!

CP

Deadpulse on the sig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samgurl775

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First GDT in what feels like forevs, this is so exciting! Laughing Like last year I'm really excited to get a look at Ryan Mallett. Can't wait Very Happy

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jermaine Cunningham, Chandler Jones, and Ron Brace are the three players I'm particularly interested in seeing. Next tier is Dont'a Hightower, Brandon Bolden, and Kyle Love.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!!! I haven't felt this good about a season in a long time (since that 2008 season... before Brady's knee got shredded) Mad

Mack on the sig
BostonZombie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for no injuries. Would hate to see someone like Jones , or Ras_I go down with a season ending injury.

ONE WEEK !

AAP: Kyle Love Machine - Tackles - 5
Nihc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonZombie wrote:
I'm hoping for no injuries. Would hate to see someone like Jones , or Ras_I go down with a season ending injury.

ONE WEEK !

bite thy tongue
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Jermaine Cunningham, Chandler Jones, and Ron Brace are the three players I'm particularly interested in seeing. Next tier is Dont'a Hightower, Brandon Bolden, and Kyle Love.

Curious why you don't have Hightower in tier 1, though I do agree with the other three selections in that tier, it seems odd to not have Hightower there. Where he plays on the field is a huge thing to watch for. He wasn't drafted to rot as backup ILB.

Bolden I'd be surprised if he was anything more than emergency backup behind Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead and got more than 20 carries this year.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

Curious why you don't have Hightower in tier 1, though I do agree with the other three selections in that tier, it seems odd to not have Hightower there. Where he plays on the field is a huge thing to watch for. He wasn't drafted to rot as backup ILB.

Bolden I'd be surprised if he was anything more than emergency backup behind Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead and got more than 20 carries this year.

Because there's not much of a storyline to Hightower. You know he's gonna be good. The others are wild cards.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

Can't see a reason why the Pats would carry a healthy Bolden on the roster if he isn't going to get reps. They seem inclined to carry a FB (based on them now having 3) and a 5th RB who won't dress most games is fairly useless. The only time that makes sense is if the guy is injured or a very high draft pick who needs work (or falls behind like Vereen last year).

If history has been any indication of the way Belichick manages his roster, Bolden will end up on the PS if he is only a "20 carry" type guy.

Of course, it's possible that Bolden carves out a niche on special teams or as a better backup option than Vereen in which case there will be a very tough decision on cut down day

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

Because there's not much of a storyline to Hightower. You know he's gonna be good. The others are wild cards.

This. I'm curious to see Hightower only because if he's as good as he has sounded so far in camp (taken with many grains of salt), the Pats LB corps goes from a mediocre group to a very solid (or better) unit.

However, even if Hightower is mediocre, the LB corps should still be about average - depending on Spikes' development.

To me, the keys to the Pats fortunes in 2012 are McCourty/Dowling, Cunningham/Jones and Ridley/Vereen. We know pretty much what the rest of the units offer with some room for disappointment or surprise. But if those guys, even a few of them, can step up and play to their potential - the Patriots will be nearly impossible to beat.

Brace isn't as important to the team's success but it would be nice to see an interior DL which wasn't Wilfork and a bunch of scrubs.

Chandler Jones doesn't particularly interest me in a "need to watch him" sense because I have fairly low expectations for him this year. I don't expect him to see the field much other than in situational duty or until the end of the season. I expect that he, like Seymour, Warren and Wilfork (and Meriweather etc) will be slowly worked into the lineup. I'm more interested in seeing how he develops in-season than in August. In other words, I don't think we'll get to see much other than flashes of what he can offer because he's a very unfinished product.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Chandler Jones doesn't particularly interest me in a "need to watch him" sense because I have fairly low expectations for him this year. I don't expect him to see the field much other than in situational duty or until the end of the season. I expect that he, like Seymour, Warren and Wilfork (and Meriweather etc) will be slowly worked into the lineup. I'm more interested in seeing how he develops in-season than in August. In other words, I don't think we'll get to see much other than flashes of what he can offer because he's a very unfinished product.

I wasn't expecting much out of Jones after i watched his college games on youtube, but...
1. it looks like he'll be relied on early
2. he's supposedly ahead of schedule, both physically and from a technique standpoint

Those two make him must-see-TV for me.

Nihc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are the roster cuts?
Nihc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler Jones is very likely to have a starting spot by week 6. He only has to beat out one of Nink, Scott, or Cunningham
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
When are the roster cuts?

August 28th is the 80-man deadline now that they've expanded the summer rosters to 90.

September 2nd (the day before labor day) is the 53 man cutdown date.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Finally!!! I haven't felt this good about a season in a long time (since that 2008 season... before Brady's knee got shredded) Mad
Really? For some reason I'm not excited about the prospects of this season like in the past. Call it maturity, or bitter feelings over the Super Bowl loss, but I just look at the playoffs as a time for disappointment. With this team I could care less about the regular season. I'm going to sound spoiled when I say this, because I kind of always have been since 2001, but the regular season hasn't meant much to me the last couple of years and has progressively meant less to me since 2008. I don't know if I'm just down or if I'm being pessimistic.

BTW I'll be watching everyone. Whoever stands out I will rave about the most. My expectations are high for Donta Hightower, Julian Edelman, Ryan Mallett, Shane Vereen, James Ihedigbo, and Donte Stallworth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: