Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The First (and last) Big Mistake of the Mayhew Regime
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should this be the end of the Mayhew regime?
Absolutely. Fire him now!
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Yes. Fire him tomorrow.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: The First (and last) Big Mistake of the Mayhew Regime Reply with quote

"Nobody knows, the trouble we've seen. Stanton went away and ended the pre season dream."
- diehardlionfan

We're one week into the 2012-2013 NFL (pre)season, and our Detroit Lions sit at the bottom of both the conference and league standings, currently tied for the worst in the NFL. This is Mayhew's fourth season as GM of the Detroit Lions; he has had plenty of time to build his roster and prove that he can make this team a contender. His team is one year removed from a playoff berth. This is a make-or-break year, and - so far - what we expect our team to be is shattering before our eyes.

And I know why. And it's all his fault.

He let Drew Stanton walk away.

In a league where wins are everything, and moral victories are reserved for the weak, Martin Mayhew allowed one of the greatest (pre)season quarterbacks in NFL history to take his greatness elsewhere, allowing Kellen Moore to take his all-important pre-season snaps. We saw the result: of Moore's seven drives, five ended in punts, and the lone point-producing drive was the result of hard running by emerging pre-season star Joique Bell.

That's not good enough, that's not acceptable, and that's Mayhew's fault.

I have defended Stanton relentlessly in the past, so it's fitting that his departure would lead to one of our worst pre-season winning percentages in Detroit Lions' history. This was completely avoidable: they could have paid Stanton hansomely to retain his rights (and these crucial wins), but they took a gamble by letting him test the market... and they lost. He went elsewhere. Greatness was a 2nd string QB-paycheck away, but apparently team success isn't worth it. As a result, we're winless.

And that's all Mayhew's fault. Fire Mayhew.

Team Stylish

Last edited by TL-TwoWinsAway on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:

Please treat my thread with the respect and dignity it deserves. I'm trying to start a movement here, not a meme war.

Team Stylish
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ya we have a bad 3rd string qb...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was stupid for giving megatron that huge contract when we could trade him for 3 1sts plus extras. Now we're crippled for years to come. And building the DL?'Clearly he should have concentrated his efforts on our DB's. Mayhew does not know how to build a team, and rides Staffords coattail to success. But didn't he draft stafford? Yeah, but it was an obvious pick so you can't give him credit. Since he can't build every unit into an elite unit, and he gives huge contracts to unworthy players, he deserves the shaft. Many people on theses forums can run a team better than him. Sign me up for the "fire Mayhew" bandwagon.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
He was stupid for giving megatron that huge contract when we could trade him for 3 1sts plus extras. Now we're crippled for years to come. And building the DL?'Clearly he should have concentrated his efforts on our DB's. Mayhew does not know how to build a team, and rides Staffords coattail to success. But didn't he draft stafford? Yeah, but it was an obvious pick so you can't give him credit. Since he can't build every unit into an elite unit, and he gives huge contracts to unworthy players, he deserves the shaft. Many people on theses forums can run a team better than him. Sign me up for the "fire Mayhew" bandwagon.
he is staffords beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very over exaggerated... We're fine.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:

This guy. He gets it.

I KNOW I voted you "Best New Poster" for a reason.

The OP is not an over exaggeration. I'm prepared to argue for 20+ pages in its defense.

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this supposed to be funny? Because its not.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:

I miss preseason Stanton. That's all.

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

I thought it was funny. I was just waiting for someone to get going. Where's footballphreak when you need him.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

I thought it was funny. I was just waiting for someone to get going. Where's footballphreak when you need him.

I am a little disappointed that he hasn't shown up yet. I have spent my share of time arguing about Stanton with TL. Since he's not on the team anymore my hearts not in it.

Crying or Very sad
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil

Last edited by Jrugges on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL, thanks for being man enough to clearly state what we are all thinking.

Stanton was the rudder of the Lions ship and without him the ship is adrift in a sea of field turf.

Not keeping Stanton and failing to upgrade the secondary when he has players like Stafford available for trade is inexcusable.

Just think the Lions could have had Stanton and a number one CB. Instead, no Stanton, no number 1.

Let's be honest. They should get rid of Mayhew and bring back Millen he had the sense to draft Stanton and recognize what a pre season power house looked like.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL, thanks for being man enough to clearly state what we are all thinking.

Stanton was the rudder of the Lions ship and without him the ship is adrift in a sea of field turf.

Not keeping Stanton and failing to upgrade the secondary when he has players like Stafford available for trade is inexcusable.

Just think the Lions could have had Stanton and a number one CB. Instead, no Stanton, no number 1.

Let's be honest. They should get rid of Mayhew and bring back Millen he had the sense to draft Stanton and recognize what a pre season power house looked like.

Who will lead Millens army?

Rod Marinelli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: