Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Military II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-jax39

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:
Just wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions. Dads a huge military guy, asked me how i felt about signing up and getting them to help me with college. I have plans to go to college, but right now I was looking for a job to save up money to help me pay for it. I have a little bit of money in scholarships.

How much do they help you?

What do you get to do during your free time on base?

How much free time do you have?

I like watching all the new movies, practicing my guitar, playing games and watching football. Do you still get to do this stuff?

Free time depends a lot on what branch you join and what job you have.

My experience in the Air Force has been thats its like any normal job for most of the time. You still get to do plenty of things when you are not at work.

Currently Tuition Assistance pays all of your tuition if yout take classes while serving. GI Bill pays for most of your school and books after you seperate/retire.

How would taking classes while im serving work? Would they pick a college or would it just be a base near the college i pick?
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:
Just wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions. Dads a huge military guy, asked me how i felt about signing up and getting them to help me with college. I have plans to go to college, but right now I was looking for a job to save up money to help me pay for it. I have a little bit of money in scholarships.

How much do they help you?

What do you get to do during your free time on base?

How much free time do you have?

I like watching all the new movies, practicing my guitar, playing games and watching football. Do you still get to do this stuff?

Free time depends a lot on what branch you join and what job you have.

My experience in the Air Force has been thats its like any normal job for most of the time. You still get to do plenty of things when you are not at work.

Currently Tuition Assistance pays all of your tuition if yout take classes while serving. GI Bill pays for most of your school and books after you seperate/retire.

How would taking classes while im serving work? Would they pick a college or would it just be a base near the college i pick?

Again, the information I am giving you is from my Air Force experience so I can only speak for the AF... but most bases will have a few colleges that have programs and classes on base available to you that you can take. But you can take online classes if the college you want is not local. They will pay for whatever you wish to take as long as you are trying to earn a degree you don't have yet... Associates, Bachelors or Masters. I have been taking classes off and on for 7 years now both in residence and online.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Neumatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Again, the information I am giving you is from my Air Force experience so I can only speak for the AF... but most bases will have a few colleges that have programs and classes on base available to you that you can take. But you can take online classes if the college you want is not local. They will pay for whatever you wish to take as long as you are trying to earn a degree you don't have yet... Associates, Bachelors or Masters. I have been taking classes off and on for 7 years now both in residence and online.

From my experience, this is exactly how it is in the Army as well.

Jamison. on the sig
S-jax39

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would i be able to take with me?

Also, thanks. This obviously is a big decision and i appreciate all the help and insight.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:

take where? not exactly sure what you mean...

To basic training I would just take some clothes, toiletries, maybe some things near and dear, cell phone... you wont have access to any of it but you will have it when you graduate.

After basic you will probably go to some sort of schooling (you do in the AF). School could be anywhere from a few weeks to many months.

After basic and your schooling you will go to your permanent base/fort/camp... and at this point you can get your stuff from home shipped to you at your permanent location.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I cannot get into any Physical Therapy programs it seems. I have a BS in Biology, would the military have a Doctorate program I could apply for? I really don't know how it works.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little brother is joining the Marines and goes to boot camp in January.

To be honest, I'm thinking about joining him. I have an Associates Degree, and I'm three semesters away from a Bachelor's Degree in Physics. Does this help me at all in joining, and if so, how much?
rAmFan39

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:

Also, thanks. This obviously is a big decision and i appreciate all the help and insight.

I am in the Air Force right now and have an OPs (office) job its not the best and if I ever decided to stay in I would def. switch, but its perfect for me right now because I get to do all the schooling I want. They have schools on our base (small schools) that teach certain classes. I personally prefer to do online classes (American Military University). The air force gives you 4500 dollars in tuition assistance a year and then i get around the same from financial aid. online classes are 750.00 a class. So thats 12-14 classes a year free. Plus once you hit your three year mark you can start using your G.I bill. It has worked great for me so far and I will be done with my bachelors degree in about a year. So a 4 year degree will have taken me 2 and a half years. I personally think the military is a great stepping stone in preparing people for life. If I were you I would really consider it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
So I cannot get into any Physical Therapy programs it seems. I have a BS in Biology, would the military have a Doctorate program I could apply for? I really don't know how it works.

Anything?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Anything?

The Army has the HPSP Scholarship
Quote:
The U.S. Army Medical Department can help take away the worry of how you'll pay for school. The F. Edward Hébert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program is available to qualifying students who wish to earn professional degrees from accredited medical, dental, optometry, veterinary, psychiatric nurse practitioner, clinical or counseling psychology programs. We will pay 100 percent of your tuition, plus we will also pay for required books, equipment and most academic fees. Qualifying medical and dental students are also eligible to receive a $20,000 sign-on bonus.

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ricky. I don't think that covers PT though. Sad
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent in my Navy OCS application. Little nervous, little relieved, little bit wondering what in the heck I'm thinking.
RickyG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

They have this program. I don't know anything about it, but you can contact the recruiter for your state to find out more info.

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickyG wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

They have this program. I don't know anything about it, but you can contact the recruiter for your state to find out more info.

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028

Mean GPA is 3.67

My GPA is 2.92

This is my problem. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another step closer. Did my phase 1 physical today and also turned in my paperwork to get my ETS orders. Still a lot more stuff to do, especially since I will be having surgery which will leave me unable to do anything for 2 weeks.

Jamison. on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: