Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Military II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Throttle Jockey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIKENATOR2 wrote:

2. What have you heard about the ROTC program?

That it's [REMOVED] and they make you do incredibly stupid [inappropriate/removed], but you get commissioned. What specifically do you want to know about it?

VIKENATOR2 wrote:
3. When it comes to active vs. reserve what would suit me better (since I plan on getting my bachelor's degree)?

That's for you to decide, but keep in mind a bachelor's degree means the square root of [inappropriate/removed] anymore in the military (or that's just true for AD) and you need a master's to get anywhere.

- Please don't use "gay" as a pejorative.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just applied for Army ROTC at USC. I only have a 3.0 for my undergrad but I have an ace up my sleeve...
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start school next month for the tanks we are going to be getting. I can't wait, because for 2 months i don't have to deal with all the BS at the motorpool and with the company. And once we finish with the school it will be a few weeks before I start all my appointments to ETS Laughing.

Jamison. on the sig
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering joining the U.S. Military after I finish my degree and I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of jobs there are for journalists in the military. I'm just starting to do some research, but I still have a ways to go because I'm taking a year off to "serve" with Americorps. I know there are some programs for communication in the Army and in the Navy, but I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience.

Basically, the situation is that I already have professional experience as a journalist, but I'm still getting my degree. Once I have that, the field is very limited and competitive and the starting salary is just awful. A commissioned officer in the military would make a lot more then a journlist who isn't in a Top 20 market (and very few start in the Top 20). So I'm starting to do my research, because I think that this could be a great opportunity to not only help me pay back my loans, but in some way serve my country other then doing volunteer work with Americorps.

Thanks.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Just applied for Army ROTC at USC. I only have a 3.0 for my undergrad but I have an ace up my sleeve...

The best officers I ever dealt with in the Military were ROTC graduates. Best of luck to you!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:

The best officers I ever dealt with in the Military were ROTC graduates. Best of luck to you!

I've seen great from both ROTC and Academy but I would give the edge to USAFA grads.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:

Thank you sir! It's either back to Marine OCS for me or Army ROTC. I should have a more clear plan in a couple months
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never taken a ROTC class, but potentially plan on joining the USMC or Army after HS, for a potential start to a career as a cop.

Am I being naive or do I have the right idea here?I can do the minimum standards for the PFT, but the boot camp will definitely be tough, if I do join.

Kempes

#JDI
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkman98272 wrote:
I've never taken a ROTC class, but potentially plan on joining the USMC or Army after HS, for a potential start to a career as a cop.

Am I being naive or do I have the right idea here?I can do the minimum standards for the PFT, but the boot camp will definitely be tough, if I do join.

Brother you will save yourself a lot of grief if you arrive in good shape. In bootcamp there's enough to worry about that you can't control, but you can definitely control your level of fitness.

When I went to Marine OCS I ran a 292 on the initial PFT. About halfway through I got really sick (bacterial pneumonia) and it really sapped my endurance. But because I was in good shape I was able to gut it out and finish. If I had been in worse shape though I don't think I could've hacked it
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
hawkman98272 wrote:

Brother you will save yourself a lot of grief if you arrive in good shape. In bootcamp there's enough to worry about that you can't control, but you can definitely control your level of fitness.

When I went to Marine OCS I ran a 292 on the initial PFT. About halfway through I got really sick (bacterial pneumonia) and it really sapped my endurance. But because I was in good shape I was able to gut it out and finish. If I had been in worse shape though I don't think I could've hacked it

For basic/bootcamp yes but if you plan on joining the Marines or Army it is a lifestyle you need to adopt quickly. The Air Force has made fitness important (or more important) but you can still get by without being "fit", (I am AF BTW) and maybe the Navy is the same way IDK... but we have a lot of Marines and Army on my base and those guys are out at the track, and in the gym at all times of day working out and killing it on a daily basis.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
hawkman98272 wrote:

For basic/bootcamp yes but if you plan on joining the Marines or Army it is a lifestyle you need to adopt quickly. The Air Force has made fitness important (or more important) but you can still get by without being "fit", (I am AF BTW) and maybe the Navy is the same way IDK... but we have a lot of Marines and Army on my base and those guys are out at the track, and in the gym at all times of day working out and killing it on a daily basis.

Yeah it's a big culture shock when you get there. I think being in great shape allows you to stay sharp mentally and it gives you confidence. You don't want to be the guy that's falling out of runs constantly. The staff preys on guys and gals that come up short consistently
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm currently 1 week through a police academy, and I'm having some trouble with marching and running in cadence. Was wondering if y'all had any tips to stay on pace? I think my strides are too inconsistent and long.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo18287 wrote:
Guys, I'm currently 1 week through a police academy, and I'm having some trouble with marching and running in cadence. Was wondering if y'all had any tips to stay on pace? I think my strides are too inconsistent and long.

Aw dingo, I wish I was somewhere near ya. I could get you jammed up and jelly tight.

The answer is practice. Plain and simple. If you have a friend nearby who knows how to keep cadence, practice with him. If not, there are cadence tapes/cds/mp3s. Look around on the web. Download some cadences and strike out on your own.

Walking/running/marching in cadence comes very naturally for most people. Others struggle a bit. I think it has a lot to do with overthinking the whole thing. Dont overthink it. Get the pace, adjust your stride, and roll out.

By the time you are done with it, if its anything like the military, you will catch yourself walking in time with people around you. It was kinda funny and kinda obnoxious. Like 4 of us Joes would go to the mall and we would realize we were all walking in time like a bunch of idjits. We would be like, "Stop it!"

CK on the sig
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
By the time you are done with it, if its anything like the military, you will catch yourself walking in time with people around you. It was kinda funny and kinda obnoxious. Like 4 of us Joes would go to the mall and we would realize we were all walking in time like a bunch of idjits. We would be like, "Stop it!"
Im really bad at doing that, due to the fact that I have bad hearing I normally have to go off of what the person in front of my is doing since I can't hear the cadence most of the time. So I tend to walk at the same pace as others lol

Jamison. on the sig
googoodan1980

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Im really bad at doing that, due to the fact that I have bad hearing I normally have to go off of what the person in front of my is doing since I can't hear the cadence most of the time. So I tend to walk at the same pace as others lol

I was in the same situation for a while - bad hearing, running in formation with guys who can't keep cadence.
I agree with the other guy - practice, practice. Somehow, I am able to "tune in" now while filtering the steps of people running out of cadence. As far as having long strides, its a pain. Shinsplints may be in your future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: