Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Starting WR tandem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Starting WR tandem Reply with quote

For all the talk about Hartline and Bess, the starting WR tandem as of now, at least in camp, are Chad Johnson and Legedu Naanee.

Naanee is said to have beaten Vontae Davis in practice today for a big gain.

Johnson is said to be looking "crisp" and fresh.

Hartline continues to be hobbled.

The three rookie WR's Ireland brought in (2 in the draft and one in FA) are considered unlikely to make the roster according to Omar Kelly, and he points out that the best of the 3 so far seems to be Jeff Fuller the undrafted free agent.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Starting Safety Reply with quote

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mercury22 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Safety Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Thoughts?

My only thought is that I'm really depressed after reading that. I hate being a Dolphins fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Safety Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Thoughts?

My only thought is that I'm really depressed after reading that. I hate being a Dolphins fan.

My thoughts too.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually relieved. Anyone who thought Brian Hartline is a viable #1 WR is high as a kite. The guy is an EXTREMELY marginal #2, more like a #4 in a perfect world.

The fact that Chad Johnson appears to be stepping up makes me feel better. Naane has always had some promise, but I don't suspect he will remain a starter for long.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Chad of old is back that is huge for the team. The team needs to have him getting beyond DBs.

Who plays opposite him is trickier. If Hartline can get healthy soon and stay healthy - I won't feel too bad about the lineup. You have two WRs who can catch the ball that comes down over the top of the DB, while freeing up Bess underneath. You can then add in Naanee and a couple of the younger guys to contribute.

My main concern is who is going to catch TDs. If Garrard plays reasonably well we have the skill players to move the ball effectively. I think the key this year will be using the 3 TEs (Fasano, Egnew + Clay) effectively from within about 25 yards. Their different skills are going to have to be used well, I wouldn't be shocked if we see them combine for 15+ TDs this season.

Garrard has been a pro bowler with arguably less around him than he has this year.

^ Jamison on the sig.
patdt13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I'm actually relieved. Anyone who thought Brian Hartline is a viable #1 WR is high as a kite. The guy is an EXTREMELY marginal #2, more like a #4 in a perfect world.

The fact that Chad Johnson appears to be stepping up makes me feel better. Naane has always had some promise, but I don't suspect he will remain a starter for long.

I'm a big fan of Hartline, but you're right, Merc, he's a #2 at best.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
Mercury22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:

My main concern is who is going to catch TDs. .

This is an extremely valid concern. We had trouble with this in the past. Through in the fact that Bush, Thomas and Miller aren't exactly bruiser goal line guys, and we could have trouble, yet again, in the red zone.

Jerome Messam is the one unknown as I see it. He is a bruiser type, who might be an option at the goal line.

If you look at last year we started the season with goaline issues and Henne got benched. Once he got benched Moore went to Brandon Marshall with some regularity, and while Marshall had a couple of early drops in the red zone, throwing his way consistently caused teams to focus on him a bit more when we got near the end zone. That opened up opportunities for other people to score.

Unless someone can step up at the WR or TE position as a legitimate red zone target we could be in trouble.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ukdolfan wrote:

My main concern is who is going to catch TDs. .

This is an extremely valid concern. We had trouble with this in the past. Through in the fact that Bush, Thomas and Miller aren't exactly bruiser goal line guys, and we could have trouble, yet again, in the red zone.

Jerome Messam is the one unknown as I see it. He is a bruiser type, who might be an option at the goal line.

If you look at last year we started the season with goaline issues and Henne got benched. Once he got benched Moore went to Brandon Marshall with some regularity, and while Marshall had a couple of early drops in the red zone, throwing his way consistently caused teams to focus on him a bit more when we got near the end zone. That opened up opportunities for other people to score.

Unless someone can step up at the WR or TE position as a legitimate red zone target we could be in trouble.

And from the reports I've read Messam hasn't really appeared to be running with much power.

Hopefully Thomas starts to play up to his draft position and size, but when Bush was playing well last season he looked a lot more physical than anything I've seen of Thomas.

^ Jamison on the sig.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too scared guys. We are used to red zone woes, remember? haha

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're gonna see Wallace and Pruitt in the mix. Our rookies will likely be practic squad fodder. Obviously everything is subject to change, but if I had to guess right now I think it would be Ocho, Bess, Hartline, Wallace, and Pruitt.

Has anyone heard anything about Egnew? With his size he has the best chance to be a redzone target for us.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly look at it as there is a WR that is going to start for us that isn't on the roster yet. I see it being Johnson, ?, Bess, Naane as the top 4. Last year the Packers kept 6 WR so that leaves 2 slots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the TD concerns. I really hope Thomas steps up. Hes a big RB and should be able to move piles.

As far as passing my hopes are that Egnew becomes not only a seam threat but a redzone threat b/c hes a big athletic body who can jump over many DB's.

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
joeyL.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

providing he stays healthy, i think Wallace has a break out year of sorts. Im not saying pro bowl caliber, but def something thats gonna turn heads.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
Deets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not shocked at all. Those receivers were drafted so late. Also we knew that Bess was just a slot guy and Hartline was meh. Don't expect much from Wallace either, he always fools people in camp into thinking hes breaking out only to disappear with things get real.

FF Member #67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: