Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs' Offensive Line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Chiefs9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Chiefs' Offensive Line Reply with quote

First question, how many offensive lineman can the Chiefs have on their 53 man roster, is there a limited number by the NFL? Second, what would you do in regards to keeping the lineman? Right now our starters are; Albert, Lilja, Hudson, Asamoah, Winston. Possible reserves; Allen, Stephenson, Ugoh, Mims, Holland. I will be very cautious about dropping Holland to the practice squad as I see him being picked up. He has had a great camp so far and will be interesting.... Again it all depends on how many O-lineman we can have. Allen and Stephenson may be locks because of how high they were drafted... Thoughts?
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Holland, Mims and Ugoh are all in a competition for the last roster spot. My money is on Holland to get that spot, but I really hope Ugoh can stay healthy and make it. That's probably just the Hogs homer in me saying that, though.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see Ugoh eventually let go. That would tell me that the team is pretty confident that a combination of Stephenson, Mims and Allen have shown enough in camp to allow us to drop Ugoh. I am definitely hoping Holland makes the team as our interior swing guard/center. Mims was raw coming to the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia Union but has alot of potential as a right tackle. He is young enough that if he can show enough progress, I would like to keep him around to backup Winston.

Allen is versatile enough he could be the primary backup to Lilja at left guard and also provide some additional depth at left tackle along with Stephenson, who I would really like to see show enough to warrant being Albert's primary backup.

Branden Albert
Jeff Allen (R)
Jon Asamoah
Cam Holland (R)
Rodney Hudson
Ryan Lilja
David Mims
Donald Stephenson (R)
Eric Winston

LT Branden Albert, Donald Stephenson (R), Jeff Allen (R)
LG Ryan Lilja, Jeff Allen (R)
C Rodney Hudson, Cam Holland (R)
RG Jon Asamoah, Cam Holland (R), Jeff Allen (R)
RT Eric Winston, David Mims

Depending on how long we would keep Ugoh in this scenario, I could see us being able to sign him during the season if there was an issue with injuries.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past we've typically kept 8 linemen on the 53, with one usually being inactive on game days. Obviously at least 4 are set in Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, and Winston, with Lilja being a near certainty, and then high investment picks in Allen & Stephenson rounding out the guys that will be on the 53 for sure. Then it's a battle between Holland, Ugoh, Mims, and apparently the forgotten man, Darryl Harris, as well as fringe possibilities like Rob Bruggerman, Justin Cheadle, and Rich Ranglin.

IMO, the highest chance is for the following to happen in regards to the final 53:
LT Branden Albert, Donald Stephenson (R)
C Rodney Hudson, Darryl Harris/Asamoah
RG Jon Asamoah, Darryl Harris
RT Eric Winston

PS:
David Mims
Cam Holland

^ryknowssd on the sig
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigs, I don't think anyone has forgotten about Harris, I think it's more about what he brings to the team in the long term. Harris is decent to sub-par depth, but can't really be trusted as a full time starter. Holland has shown more potential. Therefore, since we have stacked depth at this point, who offers more value? For my money, I'm taking Holland.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Bigs, I don't think anyone has forgotten about Harris, I think it's more about what he brings to the team in the long term. Harris is decent to sub-par depth, but can't really be trusted as a full time starter. Holland has shown more potential. Therefore, since we have stacked depth at this point, who offers more value? For my money, I'm taking Holland.

+1
I would also add to that the potential versatility Holland could provide in backing up both center and guard positions. At this point I think Harris is who he is, like ry mentioned sub-par depth without a ton of upside. Like I mentioned about Ugoh, I think we could have a decent chance of re-signing Harris should a rash of injuries hit us during the preseason or regular season.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys follow college football metrics at all, its a paid subscription so I'm too cheap to fully buy in but they gave free blurbs about the players they like and didn't and this is what they said about Holland.

Quote:
Konz is a universal top Center for the 2012 NFL Draft, so we look pretty foolish with our computer naming Cam Holland. Either we are mad geniuses on this, or just plain "mad.". We think there is an interesting case to be made for Holland as at least a serious prospect, virus the ignored on he currently is. To see why our computer scouting models fell in love with Cam Holland, click the link below.

I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to post it since they gave it for free.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
I don't know if you guys follow college football metrics at all, its a paid subscription so I'm too cheap to fully buy in but they gave free blurbs about the players they like and didn't and this is what they said about Holland.

Quote:
Konz is a universal top Center for the 2012 NFL Draft, so we look pretty foolish with our computer naming Cam Holland. Either we are mad geniuses on this, or just plain "mad.". We think there is an interesting case to be made for Holland as at least a serious prospect, virus the ignored on he currently is. To see why our computer scouting models fell in love with Cam Holland, click the link below.

Yeah, this is fine, but add a link to it, just to be safe.

Also, what language is this - "virus the ignored on he currently is"

It sounds like Yoda mixed with pig latin or something.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, this is fine, but add a link to it, just to be safe.

Also, what language is this - "virus the ignored on he currently is"

It sounds like Yoda mixed with pig latin or something.

LOL!
Yeah, that caught my attention also.

Laughing
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:

+1
I would also add to that the potential versatility Holland could provide in backing up both center and guard positions. At this point I think Harris is who he is, like ry mentioned sub-par depth without a ton of upside. Like I mentioned about Ugoh, I think we could have a decent chance of re-signing Harris should a rash of injuries hit us during the preseason or regular season.

I'm not lobbying for Harris necessarily, but for a UDFA rookie o-linemen to make our opening day roster, well, I think that'd be a first under Pioli, at least here.

A ZBS takes time to learn, and I don't think anyone, aside from a 1 in 1 Million type of player can come in as a UDFA and actually make the roster. It's good to have developmental guys in your depth ranks, but Harris is potentially our only vet line depth, as everyone else is either a rookie or 2nd year player with zero experience. At least Harris has been with us for 3 years now. Oh, and unlike say Mims or Holland, Harris has potential to play both inside and outside (played all 5 spots at Ole Miss).

I'd be willing to bet Harris is on the 53 this year.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:

+1

I'm not lobbying for Harris necessarily, but for a UDFA rookie o-linemen to make our opening day roster, well, I think that'd be a first under Pioli, at least here.

A ZBS takes time to learn, and I don't think anyone, aside from a 1 in 1 Million type of player can come in as a UDFA and actually make the roster. It's good to have developmental guys in your depth ranks, but Harris is potentially our only vet line depth, as everyone else is either a rookie or 2nd year player with zero experience. At least Harris has been with us for 3 years now. Oh, and unlike say Mims or Holland, Harris has potential to play both inside and outside (played all 5 spots at Ole Miss).

I'd be willing to bet Harris is on the 53 this year.

Cased closed it is. It hath been spoken.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
In the past we've typically kept 8 linemen on the 53, with one usually being inactive on game days. Obviously at least 4 are set in Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, and Winston, with Lilja being a near certainty, and then high investment picks in Allen & Stephenson rounding out the guys that will be on the 53 for sure. Then it's a battle between Holland, Ugoh, Mims, and apparently the forgotten man, Darryl Harris, as well as fringe possibilities like Rob Bruggerman, Justin Cheadle, and Rich Ranglin.

IMO, the highest chance is for the following to happen in regards to the final 53:
LT Branden Albert, Donald Stephenson (R)
C Rodney Hudson, Darryl Harris/Asamoah
RG Jon Asamoah, Darryl Harris
RT Eric Winston

PS:
David Mims
Cam Holland

Pretty much this. #8 may be determined by versatility - and I think Ugoh has the edge here with real life experience at both Tackle and Guard. They'll need to develop a backup plan in case Hudson goes down in a game - but I don't think they'll keep a dedicated backup Center on the roster.

The PS guys will be ready to be called up any day - and most likely they'll have one inside and one outside guy there. Having someone who is capable to fill in in both roles (like Ugoh on the active roster) may help saving a PS spot.

The big question is who'd be the backup Center in any scenario? BTW: Who was last year??
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We HAVE to have a backup C. Whoever wins that job makes the roster. It could be Lilja, Harris, or someone like Bruggeman. However, that is also a clear path for Holland to make the roster.

J

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying on Chiefs Live that Berry was shutting down both Baldwin and McCluster in 1 on 1 drills yesterday.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Saying on Chiefs Live that Berry was shutting down both Baldwin and McCluster in 1 on 1 drills yesterday.

Berry shutting down the whole OL!

GEEEEESSHH!!

Oooopss .. wait ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: