Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Will Win: Hasselbeck Vs. Locker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

2012 Starting QB
Matt Hasselbeck
31%
 31%  [ 13 ]
Jake Locker
68%
 68%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 41

TitanLegend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
-Munch- wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
-Munch- wrote:
If we want a chance to beat Tom Brady and the Pats we better just go with Hasselbeck at least we know what we're getting with him and we won't have to go through sophomore growing pains.
Yes...because if there's one way to beat a strong offense it's with a quarterback that is unable and unwilling to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

People are all over the map with this competition. Two weeks ago Matt was a respected player but now people are acting like he's Kerry Collins 2.0. He might not be able to stretch the field like Jake but he's not going to toss up a floater down the middle of the field off his back foot. That set the Bucs up inside the 5 yard line, that's the kind of play that can completely decide a game. Bottom line with Hass is he can get the ball into the hands of our playmakers and make good decisions. I say start the season with the more reliable option and trust the running game and defense. Nothing at all laughable about that.
My thoughts on Hass haven't changed since about Week 8 of last season. What people seem to have forgotten is the fact that he was a bad quarterback throughout the majority of last season. Not good, not slightly above average, hell, not even mediocre. Bad.

You don't think he'll throw a floater down the middle of the field? Go take a look at the Colts game from last season. Or the lob he threw into double coverage to Damian Williams last week. There's this idea that he is a great decision-maker that clearly comes from the fact that he checks down a lot, thus "taking what the defense gives him." Really, he finished last season with an average completion percentage and an average interception rate, things that are unacceptable when you check down as often as he does.

Is he a better decision-maker than Jake at this point in his career? Sure, but he also brings a hell of a lot less to the table than Jake does in nearly every other aspect of the game.

As for relying on the defense and running game, I'm simply not prepared to believe that our running game is suddenly right back to where it used to be. I have faith in CJ, God knows I have faith in Fernando Velasco, but this isn't 2008. We have questions about our pass rush, questions in our secondary and questions about the run game. We can't sit back, be satisfied with run, run, pass, punt and then hope that our defense can get stops.

And it's for that reason that we don't need a glorified game-manager under center for the first few weeks. We're playing elite offenses, we can't expect to win with the old formula. I love our defense and think it can be a very good unit, but take a look back at some of the games we lost against explosive teams last season. Our defense did what it could, but the offense couldn't put the points on the board necessary to pull out the win. It doesn't make sense to send Hass out there again this year so we can watch him once again come up short in similar situations.

I like Hass. I really do. He seems like a genuinely great guy, great teammate and he once was a very good quarterback. But he doesn't help the team at this point. Yes, I understand we were a win away from the playoffs last season, but the one of the biggest reasons we fell short is because of some of his absolutely hideous performances down the stretch.

I think we have a shot to win games with either quarterback. But I'll take my lumps with a quarterback that can make plays rather than with an aging, inconsistent decision-making quarterback whose arm is deteriorating with every throw. He may not be Kerry Collins yet, but he could be very shortly.

Most of Matt's problems last year stemmed from injuries...I mean, yeah, his arm has obviously weakened, healthy or not, but that stretch of terrible play he had was when he was injured.

Now that's obviously still a problem, given we had one of, if not the best pass-blocking line in the league and he still managed to get injured that frequently, but when healthy, Hasselback is still an above average QB in the league. He showed that when healthy last year and in the playoffs for Seattle in his last year there.

I don't think his skills have diminished to the point of making him a bad QB..just how injury prone he is.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanTuff wrote:

My optimum scenario: Jake is ready to go against NE and we begin a new era. Im just pleased we have Hass as an option.

This.

I'm just ready to begin this new era of Tennessee Titans football. Enough with this "limbo" stage. I'm ready to ride with Locker through the good AND the bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locker won, he has been named week 1 starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all knew he was the guy but I guess I'm just surprised.
Baseball: Cincinnati Reds

Tennessee Titans (FFMD 2014) Offensive Coordinator
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has not proven it already, Munch is definately not Fish. Not surprised that it went this way. Locker was the 1st pick of his tenure as head coach. H might as well give him the keys to the car and see what he has now. Hass will be ready if needed.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: