Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Will Win: Hasselbeck Vs. Locker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

2012 Starting QB
Matt Hasselbeck
31%
 31%  [ 13 ]
Jake Locker
68%
 68%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 41

VYoung10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whoever plays best in the first two preseason games will win the spot. I think it will be neck to neck all camp long, but in the end, Locker wins out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, to play on what everyone is already saying. If there is a clear winner that person will start at qb. if its close, it will likely be given to hass. But the FO will do everything in their power to keep talk of a qb controversy non existent.

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would be shocked if Hasselbeck is not the starter. I know that the coaches are saying that it is truly an open, 50/50 competition, but I have a hard time believing that. Locker has to prove that he is CLEARLY the better QB by a good margin in TC...it still seems to me that it is more Matt's job to lose rather than either of theirs' jobs to win.

Hasselbeck played pretty well for the most part last year, we won 9 games, and were on the brink of the playoffs. All that with a super-short offseason to prepare. Given we open up with some tough teams, I think that the coaches are going to look at what he did last year and give him the nod.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Locker to start, but Hass will get it initially. It is easier to go from the vet to the 2nd year player than vice versa. With that stated, Locker will be the starter at some point this season for good.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titans fan 617 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
Wont matter what happens Hass starts

Anyone who knows anything about the Titans says it's a true competition. Don't believe the [inappropriate/removed] that random media tells you.

Munch is too loyal to the Vet nothing prooved that more than the Indy game from last year

One instance in one game proved that? Laughing

Bill Belichick made a bad decision vs the Colts going for it on 4th down.

That must mean he always makes bad decisions.

If you want Locker to start an he chooses Hass im prob gonna hear what a bad decision it is

I want the best QB to start, I don't care if it's Hass or Locker.

People preferring one over the other is quite silly if you ask me. They want their favorite instead of the better of the two.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOneWayRoad wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
I dont i think its Hass until injury or a terrible record

Then why did Munchak even say it was an open competition to begin with? To just hear himself talk?

If he has every intention of going with the incumbent, then why not just say that from the get go? What possible gain is there by announcing a QB competition, when there actually isn't one? I don't understand your logic there. Seems to me that if Munch was dead set on Hasselbeck, it would make things much more convenient for everyone if he had just said so; Because there literally isn't a team in the league that likes going into the offseason and training camp not knowing who their QB will be.

Plus, I mean it's not just Munchak saying these things. Seems like everyone close to the organization agrees that it is, indeed, a competition.

This, to me, is a key point. The idea that the quarterback competition isn't really a quarterback competition is baffling to me.

What are the benefits of telling the players, media and fans that it's a completely open race when you have no intention of making it one? If Locker comes out and looks better in every practice and you then hand the job to Hass, all you're going to do is [inappropriate/removed] off the fans and likely [inappropriate/removed] off the guy that you view as the future at the most important position in football.

Beyond that, Palmer is installing a fairly new system and whoever is the QB would likely be better off gaining chemistry with the receivers and working on the playbook with the ones day in and day out rather than having the two players switch reps.

Will Locker win the job? Maybe. But I just don't see why some believe that Hass has such a significant leg up.

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Will Locker win the job? Maybe. But I just don't see why some believe that Hass has such a significant leg up.

I am a Locker fan to be sure. I want him to get the Locker era underway as soon as possible. But to address your question:

1. 3500 yrds last year with basically no off season. He can sling it.

2. Longtime Vet in the league. Has not only football smarts..but has football experience. Going into our first stretch of the season, starting with NE, experience is huge.

3. Attitude. Chip on the shoulder. After the Payton chase debacle, Hass has stated that he took the situation "to heart." I believe that puts a fire in him to prove himself yet again. How long into the season that fire lasts? Who knows.

4. Indy game proved Munch shows loyalty to him.

2013 Adopt-A-Titan RYAN FITZPATRICK 4
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanTuff wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

I am a Locker fan to be sure. I want him to get the Locker era underway as soon as possible. But to address your question:

1. 3500 yrds last year with basically no off season. He can sling it.

2. Longtime Vet in the league. Has not only football smarts..but has football experience. Going into our first stretch of the season, starting with NE, experience is huge.

3. Attitude. Chip on the shoulder. After the Payton chase debacle, Hass has stated that he took the situation "to heart." I believe that puts a fire in him to prove himself yet again. How long into the season that fire lasts? Who knows.

4. Indy game proved Munch shows loyalty to him.

For the most part, the statement was simply referring to the fact that I don't think Hass has the advantage heading into camp, not that he can't win the job.

Anyways, I'll just hit on your points. Laughing

1. 14 quarterbacks threw for over 3,500 yards, really not much of an achievement at this point. He was also 16th in QB rating and 19th in YPA. Pretty much the definition of an average quarterback (and that is with the four game start that made his numbers look a lot nicer than the final 3/4 of the season).

2. His football experience and smarts led to a number of poor performances while we were trying to make the playoffs.

3. I suppose. Though if, after this many years in the league, he still needs something to push him to be his best, than I'm more than a little disappointed.

4. And he was rewarded with one of the most embarrassing losses in this organization's history and a game that, in the end, kept us out of the playoffs.

You're going to have a lot of fun with your adopted Titan. Laughing

TitanTuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Titans/Oilers haven't seen a 3500+ passing yard season in 20 years. 1993 to be exact (Moon). So it is a distinguishing new phenomenon for the Titans.

titans0021 wrote:

You're going to have a lot of fun with your adopted Titan. Laughing

Lol I already am. He will make me or break me Twisted Evil Hell I even photo shopped a new sig.

2013 Adopt-A-Titan RYAN FITZPATRICK 4
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanTuff wrote:
The Titans/Oilers haven't seen a 3500+ passing yard season in 20 years. 1993 to be exact (Moon). So it is a distinguishing new phenomenon for the Titans.

I'll definitely give you that. Part of me was real surprised to see that McNair never hit 3,500 yards. Then again, football has changed and Fisherball is gone so it shouldn't be too surprising.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim Wyatt‏@jwyattsports
Titans QB Jake Locker getting first reps with first team today at camp

Quote:
TitanInsider‏@TitanInsider247
Taylor Thomoson drops perfect deep throw from Matt Hasselbeck in 7 on 7

Quote:
Terry McCormick‏@terrymc13
Locker threads the needle with a 7 on 7 pass to Nate Washington

Quote:
Locker with two nice completions to Damian Williams

Quote:
Jordan Babineaux jumps route on a Locker pass for Nate Washington but drops the sure pick

Quote:
Jim Wyatt‏@jwyattsports
Locker has been mostly sharp today but just threw a bad pass that should've been picked off by Jordan Babineaux #titans

Quote:
Ryan Mouton with his 2nd pick of the day, this one off Hasselbeck in team drills

Quote:
John Glennon‏@glennonsports
Rough series for Hasselbeck, three drops - two by CJ - and one by Thompson, followed by Mouton pick. #Titans

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim Wyatt‏@jwyattsports
Hasselbeck finished the day 5 of 11 with 1 INT in team drills while Locker was 7 of 11 for #titans

Locker wins Day 1 & 2 so far. Very Happy
s_camp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
Wont matter what happens Hass starts

Anyone who knows anything about the Titans says it's a true competition. Don't believe the [inappropriate/removed] that random media tells you.

Munch is too loyal to the Vet nothing prooved that more than the Indy game from last year

One instance in one game proved that? Laughing

Bill Belichick made a bad decision vs the Colts going for it on 4th down.

That must mean he always makes bad decisions.

If you want Locker to start an he chooses Hass im prob gonna hear what a bad decision it is

I want the best QB to start, I don't care if it's Hass or Locker.

People preferring one over the other is quite silly if you ask me. They want their favorite instead of the better of the two.

Uh, all of us want the better QB to start. Some of us are convinced that one or the other is better. That's all.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, even though Hass is the vet and our schedule starts out rough I can see Locker starting. Palmer has got more weapons to implement his vertical attack, run and shoot offense and Locker has a much better arm than Hass does. It's hard to run and shoot when you don't have a gun. Cool

While our first few weeks look very tough, it's the offenses that run those teams, not incredibly tough defenses.

Week 1 NE - 31st in total defense last season.
Week 2 SD - 16th best/worst. Very avg defense.
Week 3 DET - 23rd in total defense. The DL is a little scary but the secondary certainly isn't as of right now.
Week 4 HOU - 2nd best total defense - it will be a very tough game.
Week 5 MINN - 21st in defense.

In the first five weeks we face 4 teams that had defenses ranked 16th or worse in total defense. Our main goal will be to put up points and keep pace with the opposing offense. I think Locker gives us the better option in that regard. You can't dink and dunk down the field and beat Brady. You have to take chances and stretch the field. With Palmers offense and Locker's arm I think Locker is the better choice.

Props to "Peppers90" on the sig
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
You know, even though Hass is the vet and our schedule starts out rough I can see Locker starting. Palmer has got more weapons to implement his vertical attack, run and shoot offense and Locker has a much better arm than Hass does. It's hard to run and shoot when you don't have a gun. Cool

While our first few weeks look very tough, it's the offenses that run those teams, not incredibly tough defenses.

Week 1 NE - 31st in total defense last season.
Week 2 SD - 16th best/worst. Very avg defense.
Week 3 DET - 23rd in total defense. The DL is a little scary but the secondary certainly isn't as of right now.
Week 4 HOU - 2nd best total defense - it will be a very tough game.
Week 5 MINN - 21st in defense.

In the first five weeks we face 4 teams that had defenses ranked 16th or worse in total defense. Our main goal will be to put up points and keep pace with the opposing offense. I think Locker gives us the better option in that regard. You can't dink and dunk down the field and beat Brady. You have to take chances and stretch the field. With Palmers offense and Locker's arm I think Locker is the better choice.

Agreed with everything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: