Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Captains
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Team Captains Reply with quote

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Hanson-Johnson-Stafford-Tulloch-Vanden-Bosch-and-Wendling-named-2012-captains/30c9a0d3-3cc1-42c5-8867-ab5075be20ad

Quote:
The Detroit Lions 2012 team captains are K Jason Hanson (special teams), WR Calvin Johnson (offense), QB Matthew Stafford (offense), LB Stephen Tulloch (defense) DE Kyle Vanden Bosch (defense) and S John Wendling (special teams). Team captains are determined based on player vote.

Quote:
ē Hanson, who is now in his 21st NFL season, was voted team captain for the sixth-straight season (2007-12). Hanson will wear a gold ďCĒ patch signifying four-or-more years as a team captain for the Lions.
ē This is Stafford's third year serving as team captain.
ē Vanden Bosch will serve as a team captain for the sixth straight-year, including three-straight with the Lions. He has been named a team captain each year since joining the club in 2010. He also served as a team captain with the Tennessee Titans from 2007-09.
ē The 2012 season marks the second time in Tullochís career he was named team captain and first with the Lions. He was a team captain with the Tennessee Titans in 2010.
ē Johnson and Wendling are team captains for the first time in their careers.

What do you guys think of this? Calvin Johnson is now a team captain? John Wendling was voted as a team captain? I believe this is the first year in awhile that Raiola was not voted team captain.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/09/05/johnson-on-being-a-captain-there-are-times-when-something-has-to-be-said-and-thats-my-duty-now/

Quote:
ďI was texted by Jim to tell me I was named a captain. It was good to get a text from him. It is cool because your teammates vote on it. Itís a hell of a responsibility, but at the same time Iím still going to do what Iíve been doing, but be even better Ė even more so Ė as far as setting a good example for the young fellas.

ďI donít want them see me doing anything wrong and then they feel itís okay and then they go on and get in trouble for it. Thatís the biggest thing is being a good role model for everybody on the team.

ďI tend to lead by example, but there will be times when something needs to be said, no doubt. At that point, I can say something. It would more than likely be within my receivers group, but there are times when something has to be said to the entire team and thatís my duty now."

Calvin is ready to lead this team.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awesome that Calvin is now a captain. I hope Raiola not wearing a C has more to do with Calvin's emergence, and not a "lack of leadership" on his part.

For as loud as he is, and for the immaturity he (at times) displays, he's still regarded as a good team leader. I hope that hasn't changed.

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiola not being a captain is surprising to me. He's been one for like six years, hasn't he? It's a little strange to me; Calvin doesn't seem like a captain type of guy other than the fact that he's the NFL's preeminent receiver and offensive weapon, but his humility and reservedness is atypical of a captain. Then again that was the case with Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom too, and they were both terrific captains (although I'm not sure the parallel between the two sports is relevant).

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
ironduke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Raiola not being a captain is surprising to me. He's been one for like six years, hasn't he? It's a little strange to me; Calvin doesn't seem like a captain type of guy other than the fact that he's the NFL's preeminent receiver and offensive weapon, but his humility and reservedness is atypical of a captain. Then again that was the case with Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom too, and they were both terrific captains (although I'm not sure the parallel between the two sports is relevant).

Calvin is a captain. If you look at the receiver drills, he is basically leading the charge on everything. And if coach Jefferson isn't around, he is running the drill.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Calvin leads. He isn't a run your mouth rah rah guy but a hard working, talk with your play and say something if needed but not publicly. They say he had his best offseason the year after signing a 160$ million contract, that has to inspire others to work harder.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
ironduke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I like how Calvin leads. He isn't a run your mouth rah rah guy but a hard working, talk with your play and say something if needed but not publicly. They say he had his best offseason the year after signing a 160$ million contract, that has to inspire others to work harder.

I think it does rub off. Earlier in the week, I read a tweet from Titus about being shocked that Patrick Edwards (who is on the PS) was at the practice facility at 5 AM!!!
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/09/05/johnson-on-being-a-captain-there-are-times-when-something-has-to-be-said-and-thats-my-duty-now/

Quote:
ďI was texted by Jim to tell me I was named a captain. It was good to get a text from him. It is cool because your teammates vote on it. Itís a hell of a responsibility, but at the same time Iím still going to do what Iíve been doing, but be even better Ė even more so Ė as far as setting a good example for the young fellas.

ďI donít want them see me doing anything wrong and then they feel itís okay and then they go on and get in trouble for it. Thatís the biggest thing is being a good role model for everybody on the team.

ďI tend to lead by example, but there will be times when something needs to be said, no doubt. At that point, I can say something. It would more than likely be within my receivers group, but there are times when something has to be said to the entire team and thatís my duty now."

Please tell me he's not talking about Schwartz texting him...a player referring to their HC by first name always bugs the hell out of me.

2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:

I love it.

I've always thought rah rah was ideal leadership, until I was exposed to Steve Yzerman. My opinion changed forever.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I love it.

I've always thought rah rah was ideal leadership, until I was exposed to Steve Yzerman. My opinion changed forever.

I've always felt Captains should set an example on the field and be vocal in the dressing room. Sometimes it needs to be rah, rah but other times it's a supportive, quiet comment to a team mate.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I love it.

I've always felt Captains should set an example on the field and be vocal in the dressing room. Sometimes it needs to be rah, rah but other times it's a supportive, quiet comment to a team mate.

Although true, I recall hearing details about Lidstrom's leadership. He would rarely say anything (of that regard), but, when he did, every player stopped and listened. It was almost a combination of pure respect and interest in his advice.

And I think that says a lot.

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I love it.

Although true, I recall hearing details about Lidstrom's leadership. He would rarely say anything (of that regard), but, when he did, every player stopped and listened. It was almost a combination of pure respect and interest in his advice.

I agree with both points, just that it dosnt have to come from the same place. I expect Stafford to be more of the let's get hype, vocal, lift peoples spirits type of Captain. Calvin is the Lidstrom/Stevie Y type that people will listen to when needed but more of just an example.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I love it.

I agree with both points, just that it dosnt have to come from the same place. I expect Stafford to be more of the let's get hype, vocal, lift peoples spirits type of Captain. Calvin is the Lidstrom/Stevie Y type that people will listen to when needed but more of just an example.

Hell yes.

Team Stylish
ironduke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

Please tell me he's not talking about Schwartz texting him...a player referring to their HC by first name always bugs the hell out of me.

What? These are grown men. You don't address your manager by their first name?

And in this case, "Jim" would get fired before Calvin does.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironduke wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

What? These are grown men. You don't address your manager by their first name?

And in this case, "Jim" would get fired before Calvin does.

I refer to all my old coaches as "coach," even though we are friends now. It doesn't bother me either way, however.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: