Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What aspect of the team will improve MOST in 2012?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: What aspect of the team will improve MOST in 2012? Reply with quote

Question is in the title. I'm looking for specifics. Players. Coaches. What'cha got?

Obvious options include the development of Christian Ponder, Matt Kalil's ability to protect the blind-side, a wide receiver stepping up - a la Sidney Rice circa 2009, etc.

While we may not be too good this year, there will be quite a few players and storylines worth keeping tabs on.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the secondary will be the most improved unit given they have the most room to grow. I legit like Chris Cook as a potential top 10 CB. I also like Mistral Raymond's potential, with a full offseason learning the system. Raymond seemed to have a knack for being in the right spot in the zone, eventually his instincs will take over where he will get in position to disrupt passes.

Throw in Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson, two prospects I like a lot too, I think there is a lot of potential for this unit to develop together. Even if only half of them pan out, that still isnt a bad hit rate and the team can use the 2013 draft or free agency to patch remaining needs. I havent felt this good about the secondary going forward in a long long time. Since 2010, MN has added some nice DBs with the speed, athleticism and the size to be successful NFL players. Now its just a matter of coaching them up and putting it all together.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. QB - Ponder has a year of experience, a full off-season and better surrounding talent
2. DB - Cook/Winfield are back, much better depth, added Harrison Smith
3. OL - Added Kalil, got rid of the declining guards, contract year for Loadholt
4. WR - Added Simpson/Childs/Wright, TE's will draw attention
5. LB - Griffen moving to LB, E.J. gone, Erin is more experienced
EvilNuff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most likely candidates are:
Ponder improving
The Secondary becoming not terribad
A WR, perhaps simpson, stepping up.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilNuff wrote:
I think the most likely candidates are:
Ponder improving
The Secondary becoming not terribad
A WR, perhaps simpson, stepping up.

I'd agree with this.

Also like to add:

Letroy Guion stepping up as the new NT
A more aggressive defense, a shift away from our normal cover 2
A split backfield, given AD's injury, and the emergene of Toby Gerhart.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Improvement of Christian Ponder (the obvious)
2. Significantly better secondary play (another obvious)
3. Interior Defensive Line
4. Wide Receiver play outside the hash marks and beyond 20 yds
5. Interior Offensive Line

Thx to Uncle Buck!
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on, my vote for improvement goes to the lack of drama!
-- Team has a full off-season.
-- By all reports, there's a level of accountability not seen in previous training camps . . . i.e.: Everyone's there to make each other better.
-- From the front office on down to the greenest of undrafted FA's the organization gets to focus on football -- no stadium issues, no Starcaps, no QB or WR or whoever commotions.

Although I'm not on site, seeing the practice field, what I like about what I'm reading and watching is the style of the apparent focus players and coaches have. They know the core vets on that team are good players. They think some of the younger vets can be great players. And the rookies appear to be filling roles well, if not pushing vets.

In the end, the lack of drama, the sense of accountability and the focus might well lead to a more formidable team.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm getting too excited over a rookie, but I think our kicking game will see a lot of improvement. Last year, Longwell was near the bottom of the league in both field goals and kickoffs. Blair Walsh will be an immediate upgrade in kickoffs, and will provide a stronger leg on long field goals as well.

Quote:
Rookie kicker Blair Walsh made seven of eight field-goal attempts from between 36 and 50 yards during the Minnesota Vikings' annual night practice†last Saturday and the 50-yarder would have been good from 60 yards.

This is exactly what the Vikings were hoping to see when they selected Walsh in the sixth round of the NFL draft in April and then jettisoned veteran Ryan Longwell.

"Blair Walsh, as everybody has seen in training camp so far, has a tremendous leg," Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said Monday during an appearance on "Reusse & Mackey" on 1500 ESPN. "If you saw him kick off the other day, he had six touchbacks and I think three of them went through the uprights.

"That's something that we definitely wanted to improve with from last year. Ryan Longwell is a great kicker, has been a great kicker for us, has had a great career and I'm sure his career may continue on here as he gets into the season. But we felt we needed to go in a different direction."

http://www.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sPL=zulgads_roundup_rookie_kicker_making_positive_early_impression080612
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interceptions and touchback by % increase

The bar was set very low last season.

This is my guess for "MOST"

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want a few last statistical nuggets on the productivity of the first team offense through two preseason games? Ponder and the first unit have been on the field for five possessions now. Those drives have averaged nine offensive plays and 59 yards. The Vikings have penetrated the oppositionís 35 yard line every time and havenít punted. Overall, Ponder is 14-for-22 for 216 yards and a touchdown. He has yet to turn the ball over and has been sacked twice. Those five series have ended with a touchdown, three field goals and a missed field goal.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/166624186.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: