Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Training Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed he would start the season on the PUP list, just because we are in preseason and he hasn't been playing. I don't know if his career is over. I just think he'll start on PUP.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
Also, I find it unlikely that the Lions "know he is done". I just find it hard to believe they would have paid him do nothing other than create media attention.

Right. I mean he's not making a ton of money, but he's still making enough to where William Clay Ford isn't going to sit back and write checks to a guy he knows isn't going to play. They are allowed to cut him.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the PUP list the first six weeks or the first six games?? If it's six weeks, Best would be back for the game @Chicago, if it's six games, he'll be back for a home game against Seattle. Either way, adding a spark like Jahvid wouldn't be bad for the middle stretch of the season when injuries start to pile up and teams are pushing for the playoffs.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
El Duderino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Whiffleballtony wrote:
Also, I find it unlikely that the Lions "know he is done". I just find it hard to believe they would have paid him do nothing other than create media attention.

Right. I mean he's not making a ton of money, but he's still making enough to where William Clay Ford isn't going to sit back and write checks to a guy he knows isn't going to play. They are allowed to cut him.

The front office isn't like that though. A few years ago they could have cut Jared DeVries when everybody knew he was finished, instead they put him on IR so he could still collect a pay check.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
I really do not find this a surprise. Best is a dynamic player who brings a lot to this team. I figured they would hold him on PUP as long as possible to ensure he is as healthy as possible when it counts, the play-offs.

There isn't a chance the Lions are placing him on PUP to save him for the playoffs. The Lions are a better team with him in the lineup and they are far from a lock to make the post season so there is zero chance that's what they're thinking.

I suspect the Lions have concerns about Bests future with the team but they won't discard him until absolutely sure. There is so much negative attention focused on the NFL and concussions the league simply has to ensure the franchises take the high road. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see him on the PUP until his contract expires.

The fact he still hasn't been cleared to play after ten months is significant and clearly demonstrates the severity of the concussion he suffered. He is far beyond what would be considered a normal recuperative period.

He has previously stated that he feels fine which is odd. Either he is being less than truthful or there is some type of damage that will prove permanent.

Other players with high profile concussions like Chris Pronger and Sydney Crosby publicly stated they didn't feel well. Apparently Pronger still suffers significant headaches and light sensitivity that basically keeps him house bound.

While I would love to see Best take the field again I suspect we won't ever see him break a long one again.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they are saving him for the second half of the season. Hes been hurt early every year, but is very effective when healthy. Saving him for week 7 or 8 would give him more time to recover and get into shape as well as having him when we're pushing for a playoff spot.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
My guess is that they are saving him for the second half of the season. Hes been hurt early every year, but is very effective when healthy. Saving him for week 7 or 8 would give him more time to recover and get into shape as well as having him when we're pushing for a playoff spot.
ya, thats what im thinkn too. depending on were our record sits too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I love how this is being discounted as a possibility. People are just jumping straight on the "he's done forever" bandwagon (not just here, but it seems to be the prevailing attitude elsewhere too), all because Schefter says he will "likely" start the season on PUP. That could mean several things:

1) The "unlikely" happens and he will not be placed on PUP or miss any games

2) He will not be placed on PUP, but will be inactive for some period of time (think Kevin Jones in 2007)

3) The report is accurate and he will be placed on PUP, missing six games

4) He'll come off PUP and continue to miss games as an inactive player thereafter (this is what they did last year; he was on the roster for a while before they finally put him on IR)

5) He'll be put on IR

6) He's done

Everyone's jumping straight for the doomsday scenario and eschewing the other five possibilities.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^right. Detroit has no problem releasing a player if they know his career is over. They did it with Follett when they were committed to developing him.

DeVries was different. I dont believe the FO knew he was done because the still resigned him.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
^right. Detroit has no problem releasing a player if they know his career is over. They did it with Follett when they were committed to developing him.

DeVries was different. I dont believe the FO knew he was done because the still resigned him.

Do you think Follett was different though because it was a terrible neck injury?

I agree with you on DeVries. Did he try to make a team out of camp after we let him go or am I making that up? I can't remember.

With Best the situation is different than both of those guys though. You never really know the time frame in regards to a closed head injury. I could go into all that but I don't want to write an essay on it right now.

Hopefully they just play up the injury with him on the PUP list for 6 games and then unleash him on the league for the tail end of the season and deep into the playoffs!! ... on the way to a SUPER BOWL!! Forward down the field...! Cool
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

Different scenario. Follet knew he was done and had to retire. He also accepted it and knew it wasn't in his best interests. He announced it on Facebook prior to me reading about the Lions waiving him.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

I love how this is being discounted as a possibility. People are just jumping straight on the "he's done forever" bandwagon (not just here, but it seems to be the prevailing attitude elsewhere too), all because Schefter says he will "likely" start the season on PUP. That could mean several things:

2) He will not be placed on PUP, but will be inactive for some period of time (think Kevin Jones in 2007)

4) He'll come off PUP and continue to miss games as an inactive player thereafter (this is what they did last year; he was on the roster for a while before they finally put him on IR)

5) He'll be put on IR

6) He's done

Everyone's jumping straight for the doomsday scenario and eschewing the other five possibilities.

I'm not jumping anywhere.

I would be surprised if he plays again and have felt that way since his last concussion. The play where he suffered the conclusion was pretty mild and in most people wouldn't have had this type of effect.

I don't believe for a moment they are saving Best for later in the season. If and when Best is cleared he will participate in workouts and practices and will play when ready. It just isn't a likely scenario for a team that isn't a lock for the playoffs and lacks a running game.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

5) He'll be put on IR

6) He's done

I would be surprised if he plays again and have felt that way since his last concussion. The play where he suffered the conclusion was pretty mild and in most people wouldn't have had this type of effect.

I don't believe for a moment they are saving Best for later in the season. If and when Best is cleared he will participate in workouts and practices and will play when ready. It just isn't a likely scenario for a team that isn't a lock for the playoffs and lacks a running game.
That play was weak as hell.

Best is a cracked jar with a marble inside. He's gonna break with the slightest shake.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

5) He'll be put on IR

6) He's done

That play was weak as hell.

Best is a cracked jar with a marble inside. He's gonna break with the slightest shake.
why would they keep him then if thats the case? if they aint gonna play the guy they need to moveon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

Considering your constant criticism of Stafford's durability, I think this is great news for Best. It appears he'll be fine after all.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: