Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QueBeeEmmBeeTee
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74927
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: QueBeeEmmBeeTee Reply with quote

QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson waves to the crowd and lightly jogs into team meeting rooms, where wide receivers routinely remind him to stop throwing the ball so hard, he says. Quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson calls Bethel-Thompson a "flamethrower," which makes for the perfect training camp story. Who doesn't love a fourth-string quarterback who delivers bullets?

He left Sacramento State in December 2010 with no money, no draft prospects, no scouts calling. His father offered to support him for six months if he lived at home in San Francisco while pursuing football. In the ensuing 12 months, he wore helmets for four different teams, making life work on $296 a week while a backup for the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League. He's still trying to understand his football journey, and why doors keep opening.

With Joe Webb entrenched as the primary backup and third-stringer Sage Rosenfels signing a two-year deal in March with sizable guaranteed money attached, earning a roster spot with the Vikings will be a steep climb for Bethel-Thompson. The Vikings' practice squad is a logical stop, assuming he's cut and clears waivers. The practice squad minimum is around $5,700 a week, an income Bethel-Thompson said he would certainly welcome for 17 weeks.

MBT: "There are so many reasons I shouldn't be here and very few reasons I should. I never thought a career would even begin. Hopefully, it continues."
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5,700 a week Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48344
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has an interesting story but there are always one of these type of players who the fans fall for, but in the end, he is probably nothing but camp fodder. There could be a chance he makes the practice squad. No team is going to claim him for there 53 man roster given how raw his passing skills are.

I think Sage Rosenfels is a lock for a roster spot, that was probably clear by him not getting any reps against the 49ers. Webb probably isnt going anywhere either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
He has an interesting story but there are always one of these type of players who the fans fall for, but in the end, he is probably nothing but camp fodder. There could be a chance he makes the practice squad. No team is going to claim him for there 53 man roster given how raw his passing skills are.

I think Sage Rosenfels is a lock for a roster spot, that was probably clear by him not getting any reps against the 49ers. Webb probably isnt going anywhere either.

If he sits on the practice squad and develops for two years he could take Sage's spot once his contract is up. I don't think he will ever be a starter, but it seems like he has the talent to hang around as a #2/#3 guy. Better than nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sparkyjoe1


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 1084
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
$5,700 a week Shocked


My thoughts exactly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 23163
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
If he sits on the practice squad and develops for two years he could take Sage's spot once his contract is up. I don't think he will ever be a starter, but it seems like he has the talent to hang around as a #2/#3 guy. Better than nothing.


If MBT makes the practice squad this year, potentially, I see him as the primary backup next year, if Ponder solidifies the job (since he's more similar to Ponder than Webb is).

Sage will be let go, and my thoughts are wavering on Webb...he might be a backup to Ponder, or he just might be let go or traded. Either way, I definitely can't see him returning in 2014.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48344
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
If he sits on the practice squad and develops for two years he could take Sage's spot once his contract is up. I don't think he will ever be a starter, but it seems like he has the talent to hang around as a #2/#3 guy. Better than nothing.


If MBT makes the practice squad this year, potentially, I see him as the primary backup next year, if Ponder solidifies the job (since he's more similar to Ponder than Webb is).

Sage will be let go, and my thoughts are wavering on Webb...he might be a backup to Ponder, or he just might be let go or traded. Either way, I definitely can't see him returning in 2014.


I kind of feel that is why it should be fairly urgent to move Webb to WR if he shows little to no progression in pre season. MN only has him under contract through 2013, MN needs to find a position for him if they ever intend on getting production from Webb. I cant see any team offering him a chance as a QB given what we know to this point and he would probably have to take on a Brad Smith type role for his new team.

If MN is able to get Bethel-Thompson on the PS that should help the team overcome the potential losses of Rosenfels and Webb. Again, I just dont see anyone claiming MBT to their 53, he is simply too raw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48344
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: What is your plan for quarterback on Thursday night?

A: Were probably going to play Joe [Webb] at least through the first quarter and then well get Sage [Rosenfels] in there. Probably in the second half, the plan right now is to spend more time with Bethel-Thompson, just giving him more opportunities to show what hes capable of doing. We kind of feel like we know where Joe is at this point, Sage with all the years of experience he has, we kind of think we have a pretty good feel of where he is. We need to get a better feel for Bethel so were going to give him the majority of the playtime.

Q: Can McLeod play himself to the top three if he plays well?

A: I dont know, the doors not shut, we would like to see how he does. Hes done a good job in practices from the time weve had him back in the spring through the preseason so wed like to see how he does again in a game situation.


http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Quotes---Leslie-Frazier---August-28/f866dbaa-6a85-4c44-bb20-2a477f0bb94f

Interesting to note that MBT still has a chance to be the third QB. Of course that could just be the usual coach chatter, it will be interesting to see him get extended playing time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74927
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Interesting to note that MBT still has a chance to be the third QB. Of course that could just be the usual coach chatter, it will be interesting to see him get extended playing time.

i think it's coach chat.

how well would the guy do in a preseason game if he reads his coach saying to the press, "No, our top 3 QB's are set. There's no way MBT can crack in to the lineup."
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74927
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta think MBT and his family are hip hip hooraying tonight.

let's see an analysis of the guy, strengths and weaknesses.

first of all, how football savvy is he on the field? what's his learning potential?
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lil Uno


Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 7917
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
gotta think MBT and his family are hip hip hooraying tonight.

let's see an analysis of the guy, strengths and weaknesses.

first of all, how football savvy is he on the field? what's his learning potential?


Well, my personal opinion is that there is something to work with here.

After watching the 2nd half of yesterday's game 3 times already this is what I came away with.

Obviously the kid has the size and the arm. The biggest arm on the team. He can sling it anywhere on the field. Even though he was playing the 3rd team he was still making reads. He does stare down occasionally, but less than what I've seen from Webb. He has also displayed solid pocket awareness. The best part about MBT in my opinion is the decision making. He is making the right reads most of the time and going to the right places. However, he misses more often than not. Which, leads us to his biggest issue. The kid has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen. How he got this far with his mechanics is beyond me. As a result, he is wildly inaccurate. I'm talking WAY off. He really struggles mid-deep because of his footwork. He also had trouble with the short ball as well missing a wide open Burton/Arceneaux several times. I can't tell if his accuracy dilema is soley because of his footwork, but if he can get his accuracy even up to average then look out.
_________________

Maxx Williams For Mackey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7220
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I feel like MBT is going to have a Kurt Warner moment at some point with us. Though it could just be that I need to stop listening to PA.

If Ponder got hurt longterm, I might even rather put MBT in over Webb. The season would likely be lost anyways, give the guy a shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I don't know why, but I feel like MBT is going to have a Kurt Warner moment at some point with us. Though it could just be that I need to stop listening to PA.

If Ponder got hurt longterm, I might even rather put MBT in over Webb. The season would likely be lost anyways, give the guy a shot.


I couldn't disagree more on this. Webb is far more deserving of that playing time than MBT.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48344
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Klomp wrote:
I don't know why, but I feel like MBT is going to have a Kurt Warner moment at some point with us. Though it could just be that I need to stop listening to PA.

If Ponder got hurt longterm, I might even rather put MBT in over Webb. The season would likely be lost anyways, give the guy a shot.


I couldn't disagree more on this. Webb is far more deserving of that playing time than MBT.


Agreed, Webb clearly should be the #2. That really isnt debatable at this point. MBT is still raw and needs a lot of work. Potential is there, any QB with a big arm like he has deserves a shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7220
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Klomp wrote:
I don't know why, but I feel like MBT is going to have a Kurt Warner moment at some point with us. Though it could just be that I need to stop listening to PA.

If Ponder got hurt longterm, I might even rather put MBT in over Webb. The season would likely be lost anyways, give the guy a shot.


I couldn't disagree more on this. Webb is far more deserving of that playing time than MBT.


Agreed, Webb clearly should be the #2. That really isnt debatable at this point. MBT is still raw and needs a lot of work. Potential is there, any QB with a big arm like he has deserves a shot.


Yes, I'm aware Webb is better right now. But Sage is too probably, and what did that get him? Sometimes, when your starting QB is down and your season is likely lost, it makes most sense to go with the developmental guy.

I know this will get debated, but I feel MBT has more of a starting QB potential than Webb does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group