Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Choice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chris Williams or J Webb nation
CHris Williiams
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
J Webb
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 28

WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to vote for other, but John Tait seems to be happy retired.

Webb has more physical potential and this is his first year at LT with an offseason. The fact he showed up lighter and in better shape is also a positive sign.

Webb starts and is on a very short leash.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raq11 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
raq11 wrote:
Voted Webb. CW's value is as a 4-5 position backup, which is quite valuable. Webb's potential is thru the roof, but this is the year he has to prove it. 2 years under his belt, full offseason, time to shine

Uh....what?

Pro-typical LT height, weight, arm length. Potential thru the roof. DH23 is right too, could straight out bust, just hope it's not a case of lesser of two evils

He has a better chance of being a bust than reaching his through the roof potential.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
51to54

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
tgmxd wrote:
I think we should be rooting for J'Marcus Webb to turn out to be the better tackle because he has an extra year left on his rookie contract. Next offseason we have to pay Melton, Urlacher, and probably Cutler.

Chris Williams will be a free agent after this season.
My guess is the Bears extend both.

It is unlikely Chris will start at LT.

Next off season, if we are worried that Williams may leave in FA then that's a better scenario than if we don't care or notice. One of two would have to really bomb this season not to both be on the short re-sign list.

I expect Webb to start, but would not mind if Williams wins the job. Give Webb another year to develop and then at the end of the year decide if you need to sign CW or go with Webb and re-sign him early.

Best most realistic scenario for me is that the Bears are covering their bet on Webb by giving Williams one more shot at OLT before he becomes as stated earlier, a guy who can back up 3-4 positions. I don't think that they would give CW a shot at OLT if they didn't think he had a legit chance to be better than Webb, no matter how low that bar is.

I am surprised he's getting a legit shot as I consider him a bust as a 1st round OLT, but not as a Olineman. It's entirely possible that it's taken him this long to really recover from his rookie season killing back injury.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb is lazy and inconsistent and he needs competition. It is not a shock that he came into camp in the best shape that he has ever been.

This is Webbs job and Williams is simply the fire under his [inappropriate/removed].
ak06max

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
tgmxd wrote:
I think we should be rooting for J'Marcus Webb to turn out to be the better tackle because he has an extra year left on his rookie contract. Next offseason we have to pay Melton, Urlacher, and probably Cutler.

Next off season, if we are worried that Williams may leave in FA then that's a better scenario than if we don't care or notice. One of two would have to really bomb this season not to both be on the short re-sign list.

I expect Webb to start, but would not mind if Williams wins the job. Give Webb another year to develop and then at the end of the year decide if you need to sign CW or go with Webb and re-sign him early.

Best most realistic scenario for me is that the Bears are covering their bet on Webb by giving Williams one more shot at OLT before he becomes as stated earlier, a guy who can back up 3-4 positions. I don't think that they would give CW a shot at OLT if they didn't think he had a legit chance to be better than Webb, no matter how low that bar is.

I am surprised he's getting a legit shot as I consider him a bust as a 1st round OLT, but not as a Olineman. It's entirely possible that it's taken him this long to really recover from his rookie season killing back injury.

Very true point. CW starts game 1. His contract year he has to play is butt off and stay healthy if not he will be starting for the same team Benson is on now..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with CWilliams. I like his experience and I also saw JWebb trying to block Jared Allen week 17 last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm STUNNED that there are eight votes for Webb AND people are admitting to voting for him. Last season, that was enough to get you blacklisted on this forum. I'm pretty sure people were blasted in unrelated threads for saying things that could have been vaguely construed as supportive of Webb.

Now, onto the topic. Tice always talks about playing the best five guys. So who makes the best five: Webb/Williams/Garza/Louis/Carimi or Williams/Spencer/Garza/Louis/Carmi?
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
First of all, I'm STUNNED that there are eight votes for Webb AND people are admitting to voting for him. Last season, that was enough to get you blacklisted on this forum. I'm pretty sure people were blasted in unrelated threads for saying things that could have been vaguely construed as supportive of Webb.

Now, onto the topic. Tice always talks about playing the best five guys. So who makes the best five: Webb/Williams/Garza/Louis/Carimi or Williams/Spencer/Garza/Louis/Carmi?

Agree 100% and it is BY FAR the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeppers90 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Agree 100% and it is BY FAR the latter.

I'm gonna go

Williams/Louis/Garza/Spencer/Carimi
.....but would love to add a proven vet, LT is such an important position and could sway the balance as to whether we get to SuperBowl and win or not
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Webb is lazy and inconsistent and he needs competition. It is not a shock that he came into camp in the best shape that he has ever been.

This is Webbs job and Williams is simply the fire under his [inappropriate/removed].

If they have an equal showing then it's probably Webb's job, but if Williams outplays him then he will be in there. Webb has been Tice's pet project but he was SO BAD last year that Tice would have to be insane to come in ready to hand him a job so long is he is not terrible in TC and preseason. Williams may only be the competitor for LT with him because he was already on the roster in Tice's eyes but that doesn't in any way mean he isn't capable of winning the job.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in practice No. 1 in pads, J'Marcus Webb can sleep soundly Saturday night.

In seven-on-seven running plays, Webb was physical up front and even getting to the second level, twice putting solid hits on linebacker Nick Roach.

Not a big surprise there because Mike Tice has indicated that both Webb and Chris Williams can show flashes of dominance in run blocking. But where Webb stood out was pass blocking, seeing a whole lot of Julius Peppers. Either Peppers was uninterested in going all out or maybe Webb has taken strides, because the offensive tackle held up well.

As for Williams, he appeared to be beaten twice by rookie Shea McClellin in one-on-one drills.

For one evening, at least, Webb seemed to be the

Thought this would go better in here.

I cannot link it right now on my phone.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
At least in practice No. 1 in pads, J'Marcus Webb can sleep soundly Saturday night.

In seven-on-seven running plays, Webb was physical up front and even getting to the second level, twice putting solid hits on linebacker Nick Roach.

Not a big surprise there because Mike Tice has indicated that both Webb and Chris Williams can show flashes of dominance in run blocking. But where Webb stood out was pass blocking, seeing a whole lot of Julius Peppers. Either Peppers was uninterested in going all out or maybe Webb has taken strides, because the offensive tackle held up well.

As for Williams, he appeared to be beaten twice by rookie Shea McClellin in one-on-one drills.

From all accounts I saw last year Webb was fine in practice. Doesn't change that HR still stink in games. Until I see him show it several weeks in a row in games I will remain skeptical. Same goes for Williams too.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

From all accounts I saw last year Webb was fine in practice. Doesn't change that HR still stink in games. Until I see him show it several weeks in a row in games I will remain skeptical. Same goes for Williams too.
That's actually a Sean Jensen post, in it's entirety

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/07/left_tackle_update_jmarcus_web.html

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
raq11 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
raq11 wrote:
Voted Webb. CW's value is as a 4-5 position backup, which is quite valuable. Webb's potential is thru the roof, but this is the year he has to prove it. 2 years under his belt, full offseason, time to shine

Uh....what?

Pro-typical LT height, weight, arm length. Potential thru the roof. DH23 is right too, could straight out bust, just hope it's not a case of lesser of two evils

He has a better chance of being a bust than reaching his through the roof potential.
I would say starting almost every game his first two years shows he will never be a bust. For such a low draft pick he has been remarkably successful.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
tgmxd wrote:

That is entirely possible. My feeling though is that there was never any real expectation that he could beat JW out. Claiming CW was a bust at LT is not fair since he was not that bad and actually played well in some of the few games he played there. He was better there than at RT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: