Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battle: John Skelton Vs. Kevin Kolb
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Training Camp Battle: John Skelton Vs. Kevin Kolb Reply with quote

1. Kolb or Skelton?

It has to start at quarterback. It does for every team, and it will for the Cardinals. Everyone knew that as soon as the season ended. There is no clear-cut favorite. Kolb carries with him the investment, but also the pressure. Skelton did well to rally the team to multiple wins, and frankly, less is expected of him as a former fifth-round pick. This will come down to play in preseason games. (The battle between veteran Rich Bartel and rookie Ryan Lindley for a roster spot is also intriguing, but a story for another day.) Will someone obviously step forward? That’s what the coaching staff would like. If it plays out evenly, I’d think Kolb will get the first crack. Either way, the Cardinals desperately need better, more consistent quarterback play this season. No one is disputing that.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Top-10-Questions-For-Training-Camp/df684516-da06-4e8c-862c-955d56a2899f

Whiz has said this is a true positional battle (Though because of the contract Kolb has, you'd have to think he's got the leg up entering camp) and if anybody thinks he's not sincere about that, I direct them to 2008. Kolb vs. Skelton, it'll likely decide our season. Let the best man win.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself leaning more and more towards Kolb and warming up more and more to Kevin.

The major reason, turnovers. Outside of the Minnesota game (Which is one that completely turns me off Kolb at times, just some stupid, stupid throws), Kolb took pretty good care of the football, especially when contrasted with Skelton. The fumbles are a big issue with me, but when you go back and watch the Pittsburgh game you cannot help but get at least a little excited with what Kolb brings.

If the defense can perform as it did over the second half of the season and we see continued improvement from Kolb I will gladly eat some crow for writing off Kevin, because this team with a defense that plays as they did over the second half of last season and consistent QB play is a 10 win team even against the kind of schedule we face this season.

The two biggest things that point me towards more of Skelton are his fourth quarter performances (And how good he can be if he produces that sort of quality over the first three quarters of the game) and his willingness to force the ball to Fitz.

It is going to be very interesting to see how these two (And indeed Lindley and Bartel) perform in the preseason. With Kolb we need to see the presence in the pocket that he lacked last season, and most of his career. We need to see him playing efficient football, not turning the ball over and getting the ball to his playmakers. On the otherside with Skelton we need to see consistency and we need to see mental development.

Skelton at his best can make any throw in the NFL and make it look easy, however that does not come often and if he does make a throw that make your jaw drop it is usually followed by a few more in succession that make you cringe.

Kolb vs Skelton is going to be a big storyline this season, get used to it being a big ticket item.

I echo the "may the best man wins" sentiment, but I feel the best thing for this team going forward is that Kolb shows he can really be the guy the Cardinals thought they were trading for.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least it is never dull being a cards fan.

imagine how boring it would be if we won say 12 games a year every year.

where is the fun in that !

I think Skelton beats Kolb in TC and becomes an above average QB, like Flacco (cannot see the hype there) or a poor mans Big Ben.

I would be happy with that.

Running game of any sort, would make us a better team.
DRCLanceLong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Khodder you were one of the biggest Skelton supporters interesting to see you cheering for Kolb. I said I would not judge Kolb until he had a full off season with the team to show us what he's made of. I too hope he pans out to be what we thought he'd be.

Daboyle250: Sig
KCWolf1: Avatar
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khodder...saying he wants Kolb to win the job...

am I still on Earth?

sig made by mike23md
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khodder pretty much nailed down my thoughts on each players strengths and weaknesses, strengths especially.

I'm not gonna lie, Skelton force feeding the ball to Larry goes an awfully long way with me. Larry is our best player. We need the football in his hands if we want to get back to the playoffs, end of story.
x0x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on Kolb.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough call, but I'll go with Kolb.

I liked him before we dealt for him mainly because of his personality.

He's a laid back guy who wants to be great and will take responsibility if things go poorly.

He's got his work cut out for him after cashing in on that deal with little to show for it, but I do believe he will perform well in the preseason.

I think we are all underestimating the potential impact of Frank Reich. This guy demands great things from his quarterbacks and is well respected around football. He'll get in your face.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:

He's a laid back guy who wants to be great and will take responsibility if things go poorly.

He's got his work cut out for him after cashing in on that deal with little to show for it, but I do believe he will perform well in the preseason.

I think we are all underestimating the potential impact of Frank Reich. This guy demands great things from his quarterbacks and is well respected around football. He'll get in your face.

That'd be great if he were our quarterbacks coach. But he's not.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

But hey hopefully our WR's play out of their minds then.

JohnnyV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Don't know how I missed that. EDIT john mcnulty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give the nod to Kolb as well. His numbers were on pace to be a top 15 qb. He had no time to get on the same page as the rest of the team either. We will have better O-Line play, our running game will be better and i think Kolb will come out this year on point. He should be the starter, and we will know what we have in him by week 4

Amazing thank you going to MoJo122-b-21 for this sick signature!!!
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyB80 wrote:
I have to give the nod to Kolb as well. His numbers were on pace to be a top 15 qb.

Not even close. His numbers were on pace to be in the 20-25 range of NFL starters.

He basically played and started 8 games (He was out very early in on of the SF games) he was on pace for;

292 completions (17th)
506 attempts (16th)
57.7% completions (25th)
3910 yards (11th)
18 TD's (15th =)
16 INT's (25thish)
3.5 TD% (25th)
3.2 INT% (20th)
7.2 YPA (12th)
81.1 QBR (17th)

The only things he really rates well in are the bulk numbers which is going to happen when you throw as much as we do. In key indicators such at Completion Percentage, Touchdown Percentage and Interception Percentage are all in the lower third of the league.

I have a lot of apprehension about Kolb, there are bright spots, but there are also dark spots.

Quote:
He should be the starter, and we will know what we have in him by week 4

I think he starts, but there is no way in heck we know what we have by week four.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Skelton and Kevin Kolb prepare to square off in a training camp competition to become the Cardinals’ starting quarterback, one report suggests that the locker room is rooting for Skelton.

Former NFL linebacker Willie McGinest, who now works at NFL Network, said on Total Access that he has friends on the Cardinals and that they’ve told him they prefer Skelton over Kolb.

“Talking to some of my buddies down there, it seems like they’re gravitating toward Skelton a little bit more,” McGinest said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/25/report-cardinals-teammates-prefer-skelton-over-kolb/

No clue as to whether or not this is even credible but it is out there.
imani

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
My money is on Kolb.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: