Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7-9 would be disappointing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John232

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Another article (Grantland) for the masochists. :wink:
The Niners Won't Strike Gold in 2012

Quote:
But even if Harbaugh's every bit as good as I think he is, it wouldn't be a surprise to see his team slip in 2012. I put Harbaugh in a class with two other head coaches tactically, and they each had a similar fall. Bill Belichick followed a 5-11 debut season with the Patriots by leading New England to a stunning 11-win season, one that ended with a Super Bowl win. The year after, Belichick's team went through a disappointing 9-7 campaign that saw them miss the playoffs. Sean Payton's Saints, meanwhile, pulled off their stunning 10-6 NFC South win during Payton's debut season with the team, one that ended in the NFC championship game. After that season, they retreated to 7-9 and spent two years in the wild before winning the Super Bowl in 2009. It's not like Payton was a terrible coach for those two years, either. This year, coaches will adjust a bit to Harbaugh. His bag of tricks the sneaky offsides move, the unexpected onside kicks won't work quite as well. The 2012 49ers can simultaneously have a great coach and still be disappointing.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8237657/san-francisco-repeat-last-season-greatness

Not like he brings up invalid points and we shouldn't be fooled, going 8-8 is a very realistic possibility. The biggest factor for that is not our TO ratio or regression on defense. It's the fact that we had the healthiest season in years.

Our brand of offense is not really based on gimmicks. People think it is because all of the sudden we will burst out and score off a simple PA. Those aren't gimmicks, that's very good play design that set up teams beautifully(at times). I think we can all agree that Roman had very Vanilla play calling at times(and WAY too vanilla at times) but he did have a talent for pressing the right buttons at the right time.

Also, the biggest difference between us and the Saints/Pats team is that we are much more wel rounded in all facets of the game. The Patriots had a pretty vanilla offense that lacked explosiveness. They weren't bad, but not good by any means. I think our team has demonstrated that our offense is above average at least and given our improvements could be VERY good. The other key distinction would be the defense...I mean..we probably had one of the top 5 defenses in the past decade last year. That just doesn't evaporate into thin air.

If we lose 8 games, it will be because of injuries, not talent or scheme.

xsaMainevent on the sig
Psychlone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I think a one week BAN for Mr. Psychlone is appropriate right about now...

Making amends
Another Grantland article about our beloved 9ers...
The Case for an Improved San Francisco 49ers Offense in 2012
Quote:
No one would've confused San Francisco's offense last season with the Greatest Show on Turf, but the Niners showed flashes of creativity and did enough to win a lot of football games. With another year of experience in Harbaugh's system along with an infusion of some solid, if unspectacular, talent the offense should only improve. Coaching is about putting your players in the best possible position to succeed, whatever their talent. In the NFL, it's sometimes easiest to blame failures on a lack of that talent, but in his brief head coaching career in college and the pros, Harbaugh has only known coaching underdogs. At each of his stops, hes quickly built winning teams from the ground up, and he seems to be doing the same thing in San Francisco. If he can still do it with a team expected to succeed, the Bay Area will be home to a very special team.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/34107/the-case-for-an-improved-san-francisco-49ers-offense-in-2012

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I think a one week BAN for Mr. Psychlone is appropriate right about now...

Making amends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: