Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans must draft a QB at 2.... Must .....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FutureIsWhite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Titans must draft a QB at 2.... Must ..... Reply with quote

After months of being on the Mettenberger bandwagon , and realizing its in the Titans best interest to draft defense/cooper because of the amount of holes the Titans have, i have changed my mind set. To win in the NFL you need a qb look at all 12 playoff teams from last year and what they all have in common is a qb who can play and succeed in the NFL. Brady,Manning,Big ben,Flacco,luck, dalton (him being the worst), rodgers,romo,stafford,wilson,Newton, and matt ryan. Out of those 12 there is a total of 10 superbowls. Mettenberger showed flashes and has what you like in a QB with his swagger and mindset to go along with a NFL size frame and a rocket arm, and although its tough to give up on him by drafting a QB , if we pass on one of these 2 qbs i think it will haunt us.

1. Its so hard to find the QB of the future in todays NFL. Titans have been searching for the last 10 plus years and the draft really is the only way to find that qb. Free agent star qbs are a needle in a hay stack, finding gems later in the draft is nearly impossible but can happen and franchise qbs only come a couple times a decade and i think this year theres 2.
2. Whens the next time we actually have a top 2 pick, with labeu there and money to spend i see them finishing 7-16 next year.
3. What happens when we pass on a qb and mett isnt that guy, where do they go from there? Whisenhunt will be out, the new coach will want his guy and with a mid draft pick he has the cards stacked against him.
4. Whisenhunt is in the hot seat and that is what scares me is we will pass and grab williams or someone, although i like williams if we didnt draft a qb id like to trade and again whisenhunt cant wait for the future. iF he sticks with mett and it doesnt work out the next 5 years we will see the jets in the playoffs with mariotta more then likely.
5. Yes one of the 2 qbs could be a flop but as of now they both look good and there hasnt been qbs like them since luck. We have to go QB , if it fails then ill be alright im used to the Titans sucking but you have to take a chance on a guy that will not only put butts in the seats but will put us in the best position to win.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Titans must draft a QB at 2.... Must ..... Reply with quote

FutureIsWhite wrote:
5. Yes one of the 2 qbs could be a flop but as of now they both look good and there hasnt been qbs like them since luck. We have to go QB , if it fails then ill be alright im used to the Titans sucking but you have to take a chance on a guy that will not only put butts in the seats but will put us in the best position to win.

Two of the two QBs could be a flop and I'm predicting they both will be. There is no point in setting the organization up for another 4 years of failure.

We should pass on this years QBs for the same reason we should have passed on Jake Locker. You cannot overdraft someone who is not going to succeed based on your current team needs.

Zach Mettenberger has nothing to do with my decision not to draft a QB and this years choices have everything to do with it.

We have a very high pick for the first time in a little while and I want to draft dominance not potential.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz does not like running QB's. Winston is going first and there is no way Whiz would change his system for anybody including Mariota. It is that simple. Williams or Fowler is the pick. Maybe a trade down. Sorry.

You act like both QB's are sure things and they are not. If Mett fails miserably we get another high pick next year. Drafting a bust at 2 sets u back even further. We are more than just a QB away anyway.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 112 TKLS, 3 SACKS, 2 INTS, 5 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 13 TKLS, 0 SACKS
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Agreed except for the last sentence.
2.) 7-16? Did we move to 23 games and I'm not aware of it.... I think you mean 7-9 at least I think. If we go 7-9, I'd be highly impressed and that means Mett probably did a solid job. Or do you mean with a new QB we don't have yet?
3.) Very simple, we move on.... At least the rest of the team will be better around the next QB, HC, and GM(at least I hope). The whole team is garbage and needs added talent everywhere. None of these QBs in this draft(especially Mariota) is going to change that. We'd have to have another pretty bad season next year for Whiz to get fired IMO. He's here at least for another 2 years. We can still be picking(and probably will be) in the top 10 next year. We'll be able to find a QB....
4.) The hype on Winston and Mariota is getting ridiculous tbh. Winston is somewhat of franchise QB. Mariota better land in the right offense for him to succeed(and that's certainly not here). We can't take Winston if he goes one pick in front of us and why would we draft a QB that doesn't fit in the offense like Mariota? That would make him bust and we're back to where we are right now with Locker. You can't just draft guys and expect them to fit into any scheme. Mariota is going to need a offense exactly like Oregons to be successful. So the Eagles would be his best destination.
5.) I've pretty much answered this in the previous 4.

We don't "have" to take a QB. Actually, let's just say, we don't have to take Mariota because I highly doubt TB goes in a different direction than Winston. So Mariota is the guy you want? Let's draft a guy who doesn't even come close to fitting a pro-style offense and has played in a fluky spread-offense his whole college career. You say you see the risk and that's ok with you because he's a QB. That logic is beyond flawed. So let's pass on a talent like Williams or Fowler or any of the OLBs with top 10 talent for a QB who doesn't fit in many NFL offenses? QB is the most important position on the field obviously but reaching for QB with scheme limitations just isn't smart to me. If we're talking Winston, it's a whole different story(although I really don't want him either), but like I said, I highly doubt TB passes on him. Mett in his time last year had his moments. Not going to say he's a franchise QB(yet anyway) but he's certainly better than his 6th round draft status. Bring a vet in for competition(like Bradford if he's cut), and then the best man wins.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get your hopes up. If Tampa somehow takes Mariota, then QB is certainly a possibility. If they go with Winston, no chance Whiz takes a QB that doesn't fit his rigid and awful system.
FutureIsWhite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
1.) Agreed except for the last sentence.
2.) 7-16? Did we move to 23 games and I'm not aware of it.... I think you mean 7-9 at least I think. If we go 7-9, I'd be highly impressed and that means Mett probably did a solid job. Or do you mean with a new QB we don't have yet?
3.) Very simple, we move on.... At least the rest of the team will be better around the next QB, HC, and GM(at least I hope). The whole team is garbage and needs added talent everywhere. None of these QBs in this draft(especially Mariota) is going to change that. We'd have to have another pretty bad season next year for Whiz to get fired IMO. He's here at least for another 2 years. We can still be picking(and probably will be) in the top 10 next year. We'll be able to find a QB....
4.) The hype on Winston and Mariota is getting ridiculous tbh. Winston is somewhat of franchise QB. Mariota better land in the right offense for him to succeed(and that's certainly not here). We can't take Winston if he goes one pick in front of us and why would we draft a QB that doesn't fit in the offense like Mariota? That would make him bust and we're back to where we are right now with Locker. You can't just draft guys and expect them to fit into any scheme. Mariota is going to need a offense exactly like Oregons to be successful. So the Eagles would be his best destination.
5.) I've pretty much answered this in the previous 4.

We don't "have" to take a QB. Actually, let's just say, we don't have to take Mariota because I highly doubt TB goes in a different direction than Winston. So Mariota is the guy you want? Let's draft a guy who doesn't even come close to fitting a pro-style offense and has played in a fluky spread-offense his whole college career. You say you see the risk and that's ok with you because he's a QB. That logic is beyond flawed. So let's pass on a talent like Williams or Fowler or any of the OLBs with top 10 talent for a QB who doesn't fit in many NFL offenses? QB is the most important position on the field obviously but reaching for QB with scheme limitations just isn't smart to me. If we're talking Winston, it's a whole different story(although I really don't want him either), but like I said, I highly doubt TB passes on him. Mett in his time last year had his moments. Not going to say he's a franchise QB(yet anyway) but he's certainly better than his 6th round draft status. Bring a vet in for competition(like Bradford if he's cut), and then the best man wins.

i meant draft selection not record, should have been clear, sorry.

Also i agree with what all yall are saying , ive felt the same way until a few days ago after really doing extensive research on the NFL, Titans, and misc information. I do feel we will draft defense because like i said Whizenhunt doesent have time to wait on future draft picks or a rookie qb. Im just extremely tired of waiting for this organazation to be relevant and having a 6 round rookie who went 0-6 and was knocked out of two games including a season ender is asking an awful lot, id say thats a tough hill to climb, and im a mettenberger fan. He showed signs of an NFL caliber QB last year and i still think he has potential to be a good player and could be the franchise qb , im just scared we wont have another opportunity to grab a top QB if he doesnt work out. If winston is taken by the bucs, not drafting a guy like Mariotta because he doesnt fit a coaches system who wont even be here in two years i believe , would be stupid. Qbs are hard to come by and as a Titans fan im desperate to have a QB. Of course id rather have Winston but Mariotta is a winner, a good kid, a leader, and would be the face of the franchise which currently Bishop Sankey holds lol..... We could go back and forth and more then likely ill agree with all of your arguments im just so tired of losing. Going into an offseason/season with no hope while living ten minutes from the stadium is tough to handle . I say grab a QB until you find one, might be the worst idea ever but nothing else is working, our luck is we grab gregory or williams and hes the next gholston , i seriously wouldnt be suprised.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say we should consider it if there was a franchise QB in this draft and right now Im not sure there is. I would much rather wait and grab a guy like Hundley, Petty or Grayson. I am a huge Petty fan, he may be the most talented QB in the class. He has an absolute cannon. He is a project but it would give us someone else to push Mett.

Props to Kempes ^
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I wouldn't be mad about either QB. But I'm not going to be mad about sticking with Mett cause the talent at other positions is very high this year.

I guess MM would be a risk cause he doesn't fit Whiz's system but one more bad year and hes gone anyways so maybe we find a coach that can use MM the right way. So imo we can't do much wrong this draft unless we trade back to far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB isn't a must with the number 2 pick an impact player on defense is. I seen enough out of Mett to be ok moving forward with him. He's not perfect but the things he has to clean up Arnt hard things to fix. If they go into a season where they build the game plan around him I think he's capable of succeeding. He can learn to get the ball out faster but the o-line an running game has to be much better for him to be better. But even if he is good and our defense can't stop the other offense where screwed anyway. We need a impact player on defense we've seen in the past how Kearse and Haynsworth changed our defense we see year after year how Watt changes Houstons we need a guy like that to help us win games not another 4 year project on at QB

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
Titan89

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if you can say that we MUST draft whichever quarterback is left once the Bucs pick one. Personally I like Mettenberger and I think he has a chance to be a quality starter in the NFL. We could very well go with Mettenberger and see how that goes. I do not see any way unless Winston does something incredibly stupid from now until the draft that Winston is not the Bucs pick at number 1 so that would leave us with Marcus Mariota as the top remaining QB at pick number 2.

I do not like Winston, his character concerns me and I think this past combine was him trying to repair an image he rightly earned in the first place with his own terrible decisions.

I however do really like Mariota as he has a high character for all intensive purposes he is a great person from all accounts and that to me should matter when you are picking a player. So if we took Mariota at number 2 I would not be mad about it and would be excited about the prospects of finally having an interesting QB competition on this team and finally having some serious skill and potential at the position. I know Mariota will need to learn lots about the pro style of offense and may need time but I do think he can and will do it. I feel Mariota will be a quality NFL starting QB when it is all said and done and has everything you need to be the face of a franchise. He has all the tools, he just needs to learn and he seems very determined and inclined to do so.

Anywho, as far as this original post goes I actually think Whisenhunt and Webster both could be thinking the same as you. It could be they feel they have to take Mariota even though some may argue he does not fit our scheme or whatever. However, why I think they may feel they have to is if they fore-go picking Mariota (again I am assuming the Bucs pick Winston) and decide to go with Mettenberger, then officially Mettenberger ready or not is our guy and officially becomes Whisenhunt's guy. If Mettenberger reaches his potential and becomes our franchise QB fantastic he very well could. However, if in this scenario we pass on a QB and take something else and Mettenberger does not pan out and we have another lousy season, the crosshairs will be firmly trained on Webster and Whisenhunt to the point where I believe BOTH would be fired.

Now this is all speculation I do not know what they are thinking however I can understand why they would be feeling this way and would feel the pressure to take the QB at #2. If they take Mariota and and now you have him and Mett at QB, if Mett does not pan out you have Mariota to fall back on and he could be the guy for us. It gives Whisenhunt and Webster a fall back option which in their spots right now may be very appealing to them.

I feel if we pass on a QB at 2, then there are two key elements for that. One is we feel good about Mettenberger, and two LeBeau/Horton wants a player for his defense.

All that being said, this is still Whisenhunt's and Webster's show. If history is any indicator and if Whisenhunt has reflected from his past experiences specifically the QB fiasco in Arizona once Warner left, then I think Marcus Mariota has a great chance of being selected by us at pick 2. I think Whisenhunt after his past experience you can't bank on later round picks and just bet on potential. The talent has to be there. Mariota has the talent and the potential. If Mariota learns and adapts to a pro style game, he has all the tools to be great. It is why he is even being discussed as a top pick as he is one of the top 10 best prospects in the entire draft and you could argue easily he is a top five talent.

With all this being said to me in Whisenhunt's and Webster's head and especially considering this draft is deep with D line and LB prospects and not deep at all for QBs. If I am them I got to be thinking can you really pass up on a potential franchise QB when you have a chance to take one? QB is a position you MUST get right or you go nowhere in this league in almost all cases. So I can easily see us taking Marcus Mariota at pick 2 and trying to solidify the QB position for us finally after so many years of futility.
Ockham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.

Last edited by Ockham on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ockham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we trade down, our compensation should include a first round pick next year. This will allow flexibility in moving up to get a Qb next year if Metzemberger bombs.

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
VY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, and every NFL talking head has been chirping about this the past few weeks... but we aren't just one player away. We are 5-10 players away at a minimum. QB is a big question mark, but jury's still out on Mettenberger.

There is, however, no question our defense has one or two impact players (Casey and maybe McCourty). Some other guys with potential like Williamson but we need massive upgrades there. This is going to be a long process, drafting Mariotta or even Winston isn't likely to make us a playoff contender. Probably better off with defense at 2 and improving around the QB we have, giving him every chance to show he's competent which I think he can be. But either way this is 3-5 year rebuild, we're a ways off unless we make some major additions in FA this year and hit on those and a few draft picks this year.
edro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to god...if titans draft vince young 2.0(Jameis Winston) I'm becoming a colts fan. I swear to FREaKiNG god I will! Trade down is the only correct move here that doesn't ruin the franchise for another five years...
Iceman88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edro wrote:
I swear to god...if titans draft vince young 2.0(Jameis Winston) I'm becoming a colts fan. I swear to FREaKiNG god I will! Trade down is the only correct move here that doesn't ruin the franchise for another five years...

While I really dislike Winston as well....I would not make that drastic of a jump

With that being said I really dont want a QB in the first two rounds. Like I mentioned before I would have no problem with adding Bryce Petty, Sean Mannion, Garrett Grayson or Brandon Bridge in the middle to late rounds.

Props to Kempes ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: