Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Cap Situation Reply with quote

I was looking at some of the Titans contracts on sportstrac and here are a few that stood out.

Jason McCourty - Highest cap hit on team. 14th highest cap hit in league for CBs. Cuttable in 2017 for a savings of $7 million in 1 year ($7 Cap hit-$0 dead money)

Demarco Murray - 5th highest cap hit in NFL for RB. Cuttable in 2017 for a savings of $12.75 million in 3 years ($19 Cap hit-$6.25 dead money)

Da'Norris Searcy - 2nd highest cap hit in NFL for SS. Cuttable in 2017 for a savings of $10.625 million in 2 years ($14 Cap hit-$3.375 dead money)

Brian Orakpo - 7th highest cap hit in NFL for OLB. Cuttable in 2017 for a savings of $14.25 million in 2 years ($18 Cap hit-$3.75 dead money)

Derrick Morgan - 21st highest cap hit in NFL for OLB. Cuttable in 2017 for a savings of $12 Million in 2 years ($16.5 cap hit-$4.5 dead money)

Perrish Cox - 31st in highest cap hit in NFL for CB. Cuttable in 2016 for a savings of $10.666 Million in 2 years ($11.666 cap hit-$1.0 dead money)

Harry Douglas - 31st in highest cap hit in NFL for WR (!!!). Cuttable in 2016 for a savings of $6.3 Million in 2 years ($9 cap hit-$2.7 dead money)

Bishop Sankey - Cuttable in 2016 for a savings of $1.435 Million in 2 years ($2.27 cap hit-$0.835 dead money)

Also, here are a list of players on the last year of their deal that are likely to be cut or could be cut to save $.

Ropati Pitoitua - $3.8 cap hit - $0.725 dead money = savings of $3.075 million
Dexter McCluster - $3.65 cap hit - $1 dead money = savings of $2.65 million
Brian Schwenke - $1.79 cap hit - $0.12 dead money = savings of $1.67 million
Antonio Andrews - signed 1 year deal in offseason for min. Savings of $600k and no dead money.
Justin Hunter - $1.725 cap hit - $0.581 dead money = savings of $1.14 million

Only notable FAs next year are Kendall Wright and Chance Warmack.

Also, we will have $6.4 in dead money come of the books. (mostly from Michael Griffin and Andy Levitre)

Estimated projected cap = $33 million. That is before any cuts as listed in the first section. IMO, Morgan/Orakpo, Murray, Cox and Douglas are likely.

All in all, very healthy imo. (keep in mind that we will have our QB on rookie contract until atleast 2018)

adopt-a-titan:
21 Da'Norris Searcy
45 Jalston Fowler
ironlion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also add in the current year cap space that carries over. So we'll have probably anothe $25 million on top of that.

Pituia??? Lol mcluster and Douglas should all be cut. They are below average at best. We have so much money and such a young team. I really think they should have made at least one big signing. I know people don't like when the Titans spend money on overpaid players but the fact is all players are overpaid every year.

I'm hoping next year we have a shot a von Miller or Wilkerson. We could easily pay out a massive contract and still have a ton of cap space.

$65 million next year we can give $35 million to Miller in the first year and have low cap numbers the next few years. Ridiculous I know but why let the Adams family horde all this money and put an awful team on the field year in year out.
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironlion wrote:
You also add in the current year cap space that carries over. So we'll have probably anothe $25 million on top of that.

That is incorrect. We are projected to have $33 million.

We only have $10 million right now.

adopt-a-titan:
21 Da'Norris Searcy
45 Jalston Fowler
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use overthecap.com, I've always liked it better. I don't know why sportrac would be different, but overthecap is updated with this years rookie contracts factoring in.

We still have $22,687,025 for 2016 and have an estimated $43,912,348 in 2017 before the carry-over from 2016.

Edit: Here is why sportrac is different. It's factoring in every player on the roster not just the top 51. You'll have to have rage elaborate more on that.

Quote:
Who falls under the Salary Cap?

Answer: The "Team Salary" falls under the Salary Cap. Team salary includes the amount a team must pay its current or former players under their player contracts. Notice emphasis on the word PLAYERS. The salary cap does not apply to coaches, assistants, trainers, and other personnel. Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. (Outstanding tenders apply.) During the season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea overthecap is the best to use and also very easy to use. Not sure about carry over from this year and how that works but we're projected at 43mil next year. Carry over would put us at like 66mil. Assuming one of Morgan or Orakpo gets hurt, cut one of them(lets say Morgan). Lets also say McCourty gets hurt again, we cut him. That saves almost 11mil. Cutting Douglas also saves a little over 3mil. Could be close to 80mil if the previous cap rolls over(not sure how that works). Von Miller won't make it to FA so we can end that little fantasy. Wilkerson probably will but do we want to pay another 34 DE that kind of money(will command more than Casey).

Some players I'd like to target are Alshon Jeffery(assuming he can stay healthy and our WRs don't ball out), Trumaine Johnson, and possibly Eric Berry. Possible that Berry and Johnson get big deals.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotrac has always been my favorite... OTC is too simplistic... ie, they have Byard counting $450k against the cap this year (same as Conklin), which is the rookie minimum. Byard is obviously still unsigned obviously, but based on last year's scaling, he'll probably count ~$600k this year (cap wise). Spotrac has Conklin listed at his correct cap hit ($2.9M), while OTC still has him listed at $450k.

The top 51 rule gives teams some wiggle room in the offseason... but once the final roster cut downs are set, all 53 active contracts (plus any dead cap hits) count towards the cap. Realistically however, the bottom 2 contracts on the roster are typically those mid/late round rookies, and will rarely add up to more than $1M combined...

Once its all said and done, we should have about $23M in cap space this year (including dead cap hits). The only major move I see as a possibility (far from a certainty, but definitely possible) is extending Wright before he hits FA. Assuming no major surprises happen between now and then, the Titans should have ~55M in cap space next year. Some of that money should be used to extend players entering their final years at that point... Lewan, Williamson, DaQuan.
VY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cap Situation Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
Estimated projected cap = $33 million. That is before any cuts as listed in the first section. IMO, Morgan/Orakpo, Murray, Cox and Douglas are likely.

No reason to cut either OLB loose unless they have like 0 sacks after playing all 16 games, healthy. Tough position to fill and the cap's only going to keep going up.
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cap Situation Reply with quote

VY wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

No reason to cut either OLB loose unless they have like 0 sacks after playing all 16 games, healthy. Tough position to fill and the cap's only going to keep going up.

Idk. Both are going to carry huge cap numbers next year.

adopt-a-titan:
21 Da'Norris Searcy
45 Jalston Fowler
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cap Situation Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
VY wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

Even with their cap number we have a ton of cap room and are unlikely to use all of that cap room signing big name free agents. That would leave no reason to cut one of them and we have seen how important it is to have quality depth. You can never have too many pass rushers.
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cap Situation Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
VY wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

How dare you suggest cutting the greatest thing to ever grace a Tennessee Titans uniform in the last 10 years? Derrick Morgan is such a force to be reckon with that show Criminal Minds had to write off the character of the same name. Fans of the game were tired of googling Derrick Morgan and seeing that impostor while looking for glorious photos of the greatest OLB in the league. Your fandom should be placed on probation for suggestion such insane things.
Titan89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cap Situation Reply with quote

MdTitansFan56 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
VY wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:

How dare you suggest cutting the greatest thing to ever grace a Tennessee Titans uniform in the last 10 years? Derrick Morgan is such a force to be reckon with that show Criminal Minds had to write off the character of the same name. Fans of the game were tired of googling Derrick Morgan and seeing that impostor while looking for glorious photos of the greatest OLB in the league. Your fandom should be placed on probation for suggestion such insane things.

I was waiting to see when this reference was going to be made haha. Nice post defending your Adopt a Titan well.

On that note it would be a bad idea to cut Orakpo and Morgan. Even if Dodd is the real deal there is no reason to cut two solid players at a key position on defense. We are not in cap trouble by any means.
TheDeeeeej

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say we should cut both. I'm just saying there's a reason we drafted Dodd. Orakpo and Morgan carry expensive numbers. Not crazy to think one of them gets the axe, especially if the sack numbers aren't there or misses time with injury.

adopt-a-titan:
21 Da'Norris Searcy
45 Jalston Fowler
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeeeeej wrote:
I didn't say we should cut both. I'm just saying there's a reason we drafted Dodd. Orakpo and Morgan carry expensive numbers. Not crazy to think one of them gets the axe, especially if the sack numbers aren't there or misses time with injury.
The issue is, there's just no reason to cut them. Sure their numbers are high, but as rage said, we're looking at $50+ million in cap space next year. And the two biggest free agents on the roster are Kendall Wright and Chance Warmack. Sure Morgan and Orakpo may be overpaid (and honestly, I'm not even sure that's the case, I'd bet both of them would get a higher APY if they had hit the market this year), but when you're a team with no truly huge contracts and a QB that has a bunch of time left on his rookie deal, you don't need to cut vets that are still productive.

Props to mike23md on the sig
Buckeyeboy89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TheDeeeeej wrote:
The issue is, there's just no reason to cut them. Sure their numbers are high, but as rage said, we're looking at $50+ million in cap space next year. And the two biggest free agents on the roster are Kendall Wright and Chance Warmack. Sure Morgan and Orakpo may be overpaid (and honestly, I'm not even sure that's the case, I'd bet both of them would get a higher APY if they had hit the market this year), but when you're a team with no truly huge contracts and a QB that has a bunch of time left on his rookie deal, you don't need to cut vets that are still productive.

Most players are at least slightly approved, the key is minimizing those overpaid players and keeping them slightly overpaid.

Morgan and Rak are paid good for their production. Especially since the cap rises every year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: