Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2015 Draft Eligible QBs/NFL FA QBs and other QB Talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: 2015 Draft Eligible QBs/NFL FA QBs and other QB Talk Reply with quote

Yeah, we have a draft thread, but this is dedicated specicially to QBs.

In no order, the more notable ones:

1. Marcus Mariota- Oregon- 6'4 215
2. Brett Hundley - UCLA- 6'3 227
3. Connor Cook- Michigan State- 6'4 220
4. Kevin Hogan- Stanford- 6'4- 228
5. Sean Mannion- Oregon State- 6'5 220
6. Jameis Winston- Florida State- 6'4 235
7. Bryce Petty- Baylor- 6'3 230

Thoughts? Who you want?

Last edited by KingTitan on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
SerenityNow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the draft thread, but I'll go ahead and put my thoughts about it in here.

With it becoming more and more likely every day that Locker is not our long term answer, I think it's time to seriously look into this year's QB class. I have Marcus Mariota as my top ranked QB at this point. The zip he puts on the ball, his accuracy inside and outside the pocket, and obviously his athleticism to keep plays alive are all big positives for him. I'm not too worried about how his game will translate under a more pro style system like ours. Like most, I see him and Kaepernick as very similar prospect which I view as a big positive as well.

If Winston didn't have his off the field issues there's no doubt he'd be my #1 QB, but it's very hard to see him as a guy that is going to be the face of a franchise when he obviously has a ton of maturing to do still, and that's being generous. I feel like after Mariota the talent level drops off. I've spent quite a bit of time evaluating guys throughout the week, and I like some of what I see out of guys like Chuckie Keeton and Brett Hundley. The biggest problems with both of those guys seem to be Locker type issues with inconsistent accuracy which scares me. Marcus Mariota is the most polished QB of the bunch in this class for me, and he seems like a really great guy off of the field to top it all off.

Credit to Sandwich for the signature!
2014 Adopt-A-Titan: Delanie Walker & Taylor Lewan
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also got to keep in mind the "Whiz" Standard. He loves tall QBs, normally 6'4ish and 220-230. Pocket passer type.

I can't see us drafting Winston. Nor do i think we should. He has so many concerns off the field.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerenityNow wrote:
I posted this in the draft thread, but I'll go ahead and put my thoughts about it in here.

With it becoming more and more likely every day that Locker is not our long term answer, I think it's time to seriously look into this year's QB class. I have Marcus Mariota as my top ranked QB at this point. The zip he puts on the ball, his accuracy inside and outside the pocket, and obviously his athleticism to keep plays alive are all big positives for him. I'm not too worried about how his game will translate under a more pro style system like ours. Like most, I see him and Kaepernick as very similar prospect which I view as a big positive as well.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking? Sure, physically it's all there- and then some- with Mariota. 6'4", 220-230, plus arm, incredible mobility. But his offense is an enormous concern for me.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm done with mobile QBs, to be honest.

They are nothing but an injury waiting to happen. Steve McNair obviously worked out extremely well for us, but he missed a ton of games, his career was cut a lot shorter than it probably should have been, and in most of the games he did play he had some kind of injury.

Now Locker has been hurt for more games than he's played. You look around the league, most injuries to QBs happen when they're running, and it just doesn't seem worth it at this point.

A QB being athletic and running when he has to is fine, but picking a QB who is successful in LARGE part because of their running ability, such as a Mariota? Yeah, mark me down as a no.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - 5 Games(Missed 2nd half of week 2/Played hurt week 3)/2 INTs/78.0 QB rating when thrown at
LT Michael Roos
Out for the year. Thanks for the great years, Roos.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
A QB being athletic and running when he has to is fine, but picking a QB who is successful in LARGE part because of their running ability, such as a Mariota? Yeah, mark me down as a no.

I don't think you've watched much of Mariota. His game is definitely not predicated on his running ability. Yeah, Oregon takes advantage of it by running a read-option from time to time, but he's still very much a pass-first guy.

Having said that, I still have my doubts about his ability to succeed in a pro-style offense.

skywindO2 wrote:
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without truly looking in depth at them, I like what I've seen from Connor Cook. Jameis Winson is also crazy talented but we all know about his off the field issues. Early on, I'm not too in love with this potential QB class, like I was this past years.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:

I don't think you've watched much of Mariota. His game is definitely not predicated on his running ability. Yeah, Oregon takes advantage of it by running a read-option from time to time, but he's still very much a pass-first guy.

Having said that, I still have my doubts about his ability to succeed in a pro-style offense.

He's on pace to have over 700-ish rushing yards on 100-ish carries for a 3rd straight season, which is more than it even sounds like because sacks negate from rushing stats for QBs in college football.

And even if an injury doesn't happen when running, adding that wear and tear on their body makes taking sacks even worse on them.

I know Mariota has been a great passer in his career at Oregon, but a big reason why he's successful as a passer is because defenses are scared youknowwhatless by his ability to run.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - 5 Games(Missed 2nd half of week 2/Played hurt week 3)/2 INTs/78.0 QB rating when thrown at
LT Michael Roos
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with TL. I want a guy with enough athleticism to escape the pocket and buy more time for his receivers, but I'm done with true running QBs. Though honestly, Locker really hasn't even been a running quarterback in the NFL.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hogan and Petty if forced to choose a QB.

Not buying into Mariota or Winston as long-term solutions.
SerenityNow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
SerenityNow wrote:

Why not, if you don't mind me asking? Sure, physically it's all there- and then some- with Mariota. 6'4", 220-230, plus arm, incredible mobility. But his offense is an enormous concern for me.

I honestly see Mariota in a very similar fashion to Kaepernick coming out. They are very similar in my opinion, and one of the biggest question marks regarding guys that come from those zone read spread type offenses is can they be comfortable under center? I think Kaepernick showed that it can be done, and it doesn't need to be as big of a concern. Plus Mariota seems like a very smart guy, and I think he'd be able to pick up the intricacies of a pro style offense quicker than most expect. I can definitely understand the concern though, because he has been in this spread read option system since high school. He's obviously very comfortable in it, but what I love about him is that he's not a guy that is a "one read and run" type QB despite his athletic ability. He goes through his progressions just like any other QB would do in a pro style system, so I think he will have a good shot at making a solid transition to the pro level.

Others have said they wanted a QB that has just enough athleticism to avoid the rush, and I see Kevin Hogan as that guy. As a Stanford fan, I've watched a lot of him, and he fits that bill. I just think his footwork needs some improvement, and his accuracy can be kind of spotty at times due to his footwork. I could see Whisenhunt really liking him though.

Credit to Sandwich for the signature!
2014 Adopt-A-Titan: Delanie Walker & Taylor Lewan
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch Stanford a lot, but their offense seems to suck every single week, despite their defense continually dominating their opposition. Maybe Hogan is not to be blamed for that, I dunno, but it doesn't look good on paper.

#1CB Jason McCourty
LT Michael Roos
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogan. Cook.
Interst in Mannion and a little love for Hundley even though I don't want him on our team.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
I don't watch Stanford a lot, but their offense seems to suck every single week, despite their defense continually dominating their opposition. Maybe Hogan is not to be blamed for that, I dunno, but it doesn't look good on paper.

Seen him compared to phillp rivers. He has a long wind up delivery which will cause him to drop some. Might be in our draft range
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogan and Mannion both have horrendous releases. Not interested in either of them whatsoever.

skywindO2 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: