Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Great Article by Gil Brandt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Great Article by Gil Brandt Reply with quote

This is a great article.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338950/article/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-should-consider-adjusting-focus

And to think, people accused Slam and I as being "negative" and "pessimists" for saying these same things for years.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandt does say to stick with Garrett, though...something you're adamantly against.

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Brandt does say to stick with Garrett, though...something you're adamantly against.

I'm all for continuity and establishing an identity. In fact, I've been talking about a lack of identity with the Cowboys for YEARS. The problem with Garrett is that he is simply not a very good football coach. For 3 straight years he had the benefit of having the highest payroll in the NFL. We're talking about teams that took tens of millions from future caps to pay for those rosters. All he could produce was mediocre results and still no real identity.

What I'm about to say is 100% true. Many of you won't want to admit it but it's true all the same. Of all of the Cowboys current coaches, the only coach who really makes the players better is Rod Marinelli. The same Rod Marinelli who is the only coach in NFL history to go 0-16. I'm 100x more confident in Marinelli than I am in JG.

GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I'm all for continuity and establishing an identity. In fact, I've been talking about a lack of identity with the Cowboys for YEARS. The problem with Garrett is that he is simply not a very good football coach. For 3 straight years he had the benefit of having the highest payroll in the NFL. We're talking about teams that took tens of millions from future caps to pay for those rosters. All he could produce was mediocre results and still no real identity.

What I'm about to say is 100% true. Many of you won't want to admit it but it's true all the same. Of all of the Cowboys current coaches, the only coach who really makes the players better is Rod Marinelli. The same Rod Marinelli who is the only coach in NFL history to go 0-16. I'm 100x more confident in Marinelli than I am in JG.

Everyone mentions Seattle and San Fran as the models. Lets see how great they are once their qb's get a big contract. Their great players will start signing free agent contracts elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

You mention the highest payroll...but aren't you one of many who said most of those players weren't deserving of their contracts?

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

I am against keeping Redball as coach, but the rest of that article mirrors what I've been saying about this team for a really long time, which is that multiple things about the team need to change in order to help us improve. You can't just replace the coach and think that'll help. We have a systemic, organizational problem. It starts at the top with Joan, and works its way down from there. His dumb decisions, poor drafts, terrible trade decisions, bad free agent decisions, bloated contracts, horrible cap management, etc., etc. ALL of those things needs to improve, not just one.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Great Article by Gil Brandt Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

And to think, people accused Slam and I as being "negative" and "pessimists" for saying these same things for years.

if they call the rest of the forum "sunshine pumpers" are we allowed to call them "arse grabbers" or "circle jerkers"?

Laughing

for real though, there seems to be a lot of this going lately. What's the point? All of us can find articles that agree with our opinion. Its not hard.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
htfryar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil Brandt is a delusional old bastard who is still mad that Jerry fired his decrepit arse. While he used he to a damn good personnel man, his opinions are widely considered to be useless, unless they fit into your JerryHate agenda.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the article, but is Gil one of the guys on sirus xm? I dropped my sirus a while back, but at the time I loved listening to Gil. He seemed pretty out of touch, but he had all kinds of crazy stories about the past.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Cowboys31

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just from watching other teams and how they do things, I will agree that Brandt is dead on with a lot of that article.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees have had the highest payroll in the MLB up until this year, and I doubt anyone would say Girardi had the most talent.

Garrett has had to coach with Wade and Bill's guys on defense. You see that change happening. If the next 2 years don't show light at the end of the tunnel that should be it.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is important. The Cowboys would be in such better shape imo if they stuck with Rob Ryan and kept the 3-4 going. Bringing in such a different defensive scheme with an old coach who don't have it anymore was a huge mistake. Jerry just tried to cover up for Garrett by blaming Ryan but we all know that by now. Get a real coach and stick with him. Get a real GM and let him pick the talent. That would be the biggest improvement the Boys could make. All in all I agree 100% with everything in the article except for keeping Garrett.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

You mention the highest payroll...but aren't you one of many who said most of those players weren't deserving of their contracts?

Not exactly. I'm against the constant restructuring of contracts, taking money from the future to pay for the present. I think it's a horrible business model in the NFL where quality depth is at a premium. As far as the contracts themselves go, I think it's a case by case basis. Some were obviously stupid such as re-signing Jay Ratliff when he had years left on his contract. Is re-resigning DWare or Sean Lee to long terms deals bad when they happened? No. Then, there they more iffy ones like Romo. Personally, I would have moved on from Romo and think its a bad move. But, no doubt, Romo can play when things are right. The point is simply poor cap management has adversely affected the team for years and I think it's coming to a head this year. There are signs that the lesson has been learned and I think that's a positive.

But none of that changes the fact that JG simply isn't a very good coach. I want to like the guy and had hopes for him in 2010. But he has been a major disappointment in all things coaching. Keep JG around as a GM or similar role? Sign me up. Keep him as the HC? I'll pass.

NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Gil Brandt is a delusional old bastard who is still mad that Jerry fired his decrepit arse. While he used he to a damn good personnel man, his opinions are widely considered to be useless, unless they fit into your JerryHate agenda.

I wasn't going to go there.. but yeah Laughing

I can't bring myself to touch his articles anymore, especially ones related to Dallas.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
htfryar wrote:

I wasn't going to go there.. but yeah Laughing

I can't bring myself to touch his articles anymore, especially ones related to Dallas.

I swear I recall articles from gil than Plan and others just tore apart and said " he out of touch, doesn't have a clue blah blah blah " unless of course it's something that they agree with , then it's " he's a wise old man who knows all " SMH , lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: