Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie Contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiaDolphan13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Rookie Contracts Reply with quote

Anyone know who we haven't signed yet? And why Tannehill is not signed even with the scale in place?

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier Vernon and Tannehill are the only 2 rookies unsigned. Below is an article on Tannehill's contract negotiations.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/19/dolphins-digging-in-on-offset-language/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Oliver isn't signed yet. As for Tanny, I have no doubt that he will be in camp. I can't believe that it is extremely difficult to get all rookies signed in time for TC since the contracts are so much smaller and more manageable. Lets go guys, get everyone into camp.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE Michael Egnew hasn't signed either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. I think they will all be done by training camp. Especially Tannehill. He wants to play and he needs all the camp time to get in the race so I don't see him as far apart as what they are saying.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 day till camp opens and we still havent heard anything?

Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-11 )
65.4% CMP - 2354 yards -17 TD's - 7 INT's - 92.2 Rat /RUSH 261 Yards 37 Atmts
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Omar Kelly the Dolphins are low balling 2 of the 3 outstanding rookies.

Also, the language in the contracts be offered to all 3 of the rookies is not in line with the rookies around their slots. Think offset language etc.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
Deets

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
According to Omar Kelly the Dolphins are low balling 2 of the 3 outstanding rookies.

Also, the language in the contracts be offered to all 3 of the rookies is not in line with the rookies around their slots. Think offset language etc.

Irish Dolfan

What is the point in lowballing guys who are going to get paid in their slot anyways. . .

FF Member #67
skatewood2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon Oliver & Michael Egnew have both signed their contracts. Hopefully they will finish the contract with Tannehill tonight or first thing in the morning so he can catch up to everyone else. I know they have till Friday, but I would love to see it over with already.

What is al of this offset language they keep talking about. What is the purpose of it?

NFL - Miami Dolphins
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
What is al of this offset language they keep talking about. What is the purpose of it?

Offset language means the team does not have to pay a players salary if they cut him and he is picked up by another team. It allows the money you owe him to be offset buy other earnings e.g

You sign a player to a 4 year $8mm contact at $2mm each year. If the team then cut him after year 3 and he is picked up by another team on a 1 year $1mm contract then you only owe him $1mm of the final year of his contract he signed with you not the original $2mm.
Without the offset language you would owe him the full $2 million and he will earn your $2mm + the $1mm from the new team.

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:

Offset language means the team does not have to pay a players salary if they cut him and he is picked up by another team. It allows the money you owe him to be offset buy other earnings e.g

You sign a player to a 4 year $8mm contact at $2mm each year. If the team then cut him after year 3 and he is picked up by another team on a 1 year $1mm contract then you only owe him $1mm of the final year of his contract he signed with you not the original $2mm.
Without the offset language you would owe him the full $2 million and he will earn your $2mm + the $1mm from the new team.

Irish Dolfan
I'm surprised that this is such a new concept, to be honest.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:

Irish Dolfan

Thanks Irish, I hope this doesn't hold things up too much.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teams are using offset language with the rookies this year. Though I think neither Luck nor Griffin received it which is the problem. Tannehill considers himself to be among them while we don't.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than Luck/RG3 bigger issue is Kuechly at 9 whose contract the Panthers didn't include offset language.

^ Jamison on the sig.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great article breaking down the Tannehill contract and also explaining offset language in a much better way than I could.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/45418/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-deal

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: