Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prospect Profile : Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Prospect Profile : Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia Reply with quote

Geno Smith
Position : QB
Height : 6'-3"
Weight : 226 lbs.
Class : Senior
Born : October 10th, 1990
Hometown : Miami, FL
Projected 40 yard dash : 4.70

2011 Statistics
Games played : 13
Passing attempts : 526
Passing completions : 346
Completion percentage : 65.8
Passing yards : 4,385
Passing yards/attempt : 8.3
Passing touchdowns : 31
Interceptions : 7
Passer rating : 152.6
Rushing attempts : 56
Rushing yards : -33
Rushing average : -0.59
Rushing touchdowns : 2

2010 Statistics
Games played : 13
Passing attempts : 372
Passing completions : 241
Completion percentage : 64.8
Passing yards : 2,763
Passing yards/attempt : 7.4
Passing touchdowns : 24
Interceptions : 7
Passer rating : 144.71
Rushing attempts : 106
Rushing yards : 217
Rushing average : 2.05
Rushing touchdowns : 0

2009 Statistics
Games played : 5
Passing attempts : 49
Passing completions : 32
Completion percentage : 65.3
Passing yards : 309
Passing yards/attempt : 6.3
Passing touchdowns : 1
Interceptions : 1
Passer rating : 120.94
Rushing attempts : 17
Rushing yards : 7
Rushing average : 0.41
Rushing touchdowns : 0

Quote:
Draft Scout Player News
08/06/12 - Redshirt freshman K.J. Myers has certainly noticed a difference in Smith. "He's been going through reads quicker," said Myers. "His release point is so quick." "Ever since I've known Geno, he's been a great quarterback," Bailey said. "Over the years, his skills have gotten better. He's been going to a lot of different camps and has been working with a lot of different people. "I would say he's at his peak right now. He's looking very good." Bailey pointed to his favorite part of Smith's game. "I like his pocket presence," said the redshirt junior. "He's pretty poised. There are some pretty big guys coming after him each and every play. He's able to keep his composure, stand in the pocket and deliver the ball." "The thing I'm trying to do is become a better player, execute a little better," Smith said. "Whatever it takes. I want to try every day on the practice field to be perfect. I know that's impossible, but that's something we strive for." - Mitch Vingle, Gazette-Mail

08/06/12 - "I went to the Manning camp in Thibodaux, Louisiana, hanging out with Peyton Manning and my college peers," Smith said. "Enjoyed it. Had a chance to work with some younger kids. I went out to California for the Elite 11 camp. I took part in that in '08 when I was a high school senior. "I had guys who were my counselors who are now in the NFL. So they invited me out. I got a chance to work out with some of my peers: Aaron Murray [of Georgia], E.J. Manuel [of Florida State], Mike Glennon [of N.C. State] ... we all got some good work in. "Throughout the camps, I learned some things I can't share on tape, but it all helped me out." In less than a month we'll see if those lessons were learned. WVU's coaches have been asking Smith to get rid of the ball quicker in Dana Holgorsen's latest version of the "Air Raid" offense. "That's being able to go through my reads quicker and make a few pre-snap reads," Smith said. "Being more sharp mentally. Overall, becoming a better, stronger player back there." "We come in on Saturdays and put in extra time on routes," said receiver Stedman Bailey, Smith's buddy from Miramar [Fla.] High. "That's when he's been able to work and make sure his timing and his release are good." - Mitch Vingle, Gazette-Mail

08/04/12 - 2012 PRESEASON JOHNNY UNITAS GOLDEN ARM AWARD CANDIDATE: Geno Smith, West Virginia...A year after throwing for 4,385 yards and 31 scores, Smith is poised for an even bigger 2012 season. The senior has another offseason of experience in coach Dana Holgorsen’s offense under his belt, while the move to the offensive-minded Big 12 Conference shouldn’t hurt Smith’s numbers. - The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award

07/25/12 - There was something different about Geno Smith as he strode the hallways of the Westin Galleria this week at Big 12 media days. He is bigger. West Virginia's quarterback said he has grown to 225 pounds from around 205 at the close of last season. "Other than the fact that it probably makes me a better NFL prospect, I don't think it does much for my game," said Smith. "I've never been big on shedding guys. I don't break a lot of tackles. I'm not one of those guys who is going to sit here and say my game is all based on my physical talent. It's mostly mental." Coach Dana Holgorsen said he encouraged Smith to get in the weight room more to bulk up a bit, but said it's unclear if it will pay off on the field. "We haven't won a game yet, so I don't know if it does us any good or not. It's not going to hurt," said Holgorsen. "He's been this way forever, talking with his high school coach. He's been a guy that bounces up and down through the hall with the ball in his hands but he never wants to pick up a weight. He'd rather look and watch film than get down there and do pushups." Holgorsen pointed to Andrew Luck, the No. 1 pick in the draft by Indianapolis, making a correlation between size and the NFL: "He physically needed to get a little bigger. Look at Andrew Luck, he's a pretty big specimen, The NFL's going to judge you based on measurables. You still have to produce. I encouraged it." - Jenn Menendez, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

07/22/12 - 2012 PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL TEAM (MEDIA): QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, Sr/3L,...West Virginia’s Smith put together an outstanding 2011 campaign. The senior threw for 4,385 yards and 31 touchdowns, while completing 65.8 percent of his passes. His completions (346), attempts (526) and yards all set school records, while his yardage total was also the Big East record, as he earned first-team All-Big East honors. The Mountaineers open the 2012 season on Sept. 1, hosting state rival Marshall in Morgantown. - West Virginia football

NFLDraftscout player page here

Quote:
"Mechanically, he's a first-round guy," says Holgorsen, who tutored this year's overall No. 22 pick, Brandon Weeden, at Oklahoma State in 2010. "Last season, a lot of Geno's success was due to natural ability. But now he fully understands the system."
Smith and Holgorsen refer to the Eers' spread formation as "simple." Maybe so, if you consider only the basic routes and blocking schemes. But the quarterback must direct the action, constantly reading coverages and calling audibles at the line. Smith only makes it look simple. "I'm responsible for most of the success we have on the field," says Smith, who needs 697 yards to be the school's career passing leader. "But you want that as a QB."
That burden will grow heavier this season, though, as No. 9 WVU shifts from the Big East to the stacked Big 12, which includes five other teams ranked in ESPN's preseason top 25. To prepare, Smith (6'3", 220) packed on about 15 pounds of muscle and worked on getting more push from his plant leg to improve accuracy -- even though he completed 65.8 percent of his throws last season and had the second-fewest INTs (seven) among the 18 QBs with 450-plus attempts.
"There's nothing that the new defenses will do that he's not seen before," says Holgorsen. "If he wants to leave a legacy, he just has to win games."
Of course, if the team falls out of the title picture, he can still make a run at WVU's first Heisman; voters have recently been kind to QBs with gaudy box scores and unusual backstories (see box above). Not that he'd be happy about that. "At the end of the day, it's all about what I do on the field," says Smith.

For the rest of the ESPN.com article click here

Geno Smith Football's Future Running Topic

Geno Smith Footballs Future Draft Topic

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Plz.
ptbarcus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to watch him a bit last year and liked what I saw. I'm moving down to WV here in a week or so now so I'm sure I will watch plenty of him in this upcoming season.

^All about Ryk^
ptbarcus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know it was against James Madison but Geno tore it up again today.
so far on the year he is 66 for 75 with 9 TD passes

Geno Smith Game By Game Stats
Season:
2012 GAME LOG PASSING RUSHING
DATE OPP RESULT   CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
9/1 Marshall W 69-34 32 36 323 88.9 52 4 0 200.9 8 65 8.1 28 1
9/15 James Madison W 42-12 34 39 411 87.2 36 5 0 218.0 2 18 9.0 11 0

^All about Ryk^
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes please.

Geno and Wilson are the 2 guys I want. I want nothing to do with Logan Thomas and I don't think Barkley will be going anywhere but top 2

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see the RGIII comparisons other than the one primary thing we can't discuss here.

That said, I've only seen the highlight reels from him, but his touch, accuracy and arm strength are all prototypical in those plays. Can anyone who has watched him consistently tell me how his footwork and pocket presence looks? Also, does he call his own plays in the huddle or do they come from the sideline?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
yes please.

Geno and Wilson are the 2 guys I want. I want nothing to do with Logan Thomas and I don't think Barkley will be going anywhere but top 2

I knew I liked you. Those are my top 2 guys as well. I havn't seen Logan as much but either people love him or hate him.
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He and Barkley are my dudes this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I'm trying to learn about this kid a little - I watched this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5OW9i7KHs

1st let me say - I miss the Pistol formation! I don't think it should be a complete offense but it has a place in the playbook.

On to Geno - lots of high throws here and shoddy mechanics overall. Is he a little bit of a project?
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
so I'm trying to learn about this kid a little - I watched this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5OW9i7KHs

1st let me say - I miss the Pistol formation! I don't think it should be a complete offense but it has a place in the playbook.

On to Geno - lots of high throws here and shoddy mechanics overall. Is he a little bit of a project?

IMO Smith is getting a little too much hype, especially from some posters in the draft forum. Right now he is the hot name as Barkley's shininess is wearing off. Logan Thomas has regressed after alot of posters (including myself) were hoping he would take the next step. Tyler Wilson has been hurt. Tyler Bray has been inconsistent. Out of the top draft eligible prospects, Smith has kept his head above water. What people really aren't talking about is the competition he has faced so far this season isn't necessarily a good barometer.

I am definitely interested in seeing what he does against better competition. he does have some things to work on that is for sure and I get the feeling those issues will become more apparent once people cool off of him a bit.

Personally, he seems almost rail thin and I find it hard to believe he is 6'-4", 226 lbs. The shotgun snaps are something to be concerned about but not a huge red flag.

I really hope Tyler Wilson can come back from injury and have a solid season. I think he brings to the table alot of what we need from the quarterback position as far as intangibles. And his physical skill set is sold as well.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
KCWolf1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a guy I'm keeping a VERY close eye on. I think he has the highest ceiling out of any QB in this class, including Barkley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: