Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ed Reed Contract Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Ed Reed Contract Situation Reply with quote

Although I doubt this happens, as it would make the Reed-Ravens relationship worse, it would be interesting if the Ravens were to use the tag on Reed after his contract is up. If I'm not mistaken, this would actually lower his salary going into next season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get a deal done with Flacco there really aren't any other candidates to use the franchise tag on other than Reed. The next best unrestricted free agents on the team will Cary Williams and Paul Kruger and I highly doubt either plays well enough to earn the franchise tag with the positions they play. They don't have to use the franchise tag but I think they would for Reed.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting dilemma for us. Reed has flirted with the idea of retirement for the last 2 or 3 years yet he wants a long term commitment which kind of sends a mixed message.

It was reported that the Ravens offered Reed a multiyear extension prior to last season but he turned it down, which would seem to indicate that the money wasnt enough. Now for what its worth Chris Mortenson is saying the Ravens will let him test free agency. A lot could depend on the season Reed has, but as much of a game changer as he is, Im not sure what type of contract a soon to be 35 year old safety will get. Charles Woodson got a pretty nice contract extension around Reed's age so that might be what he's targeting.

The franchise tag would make sense from a financial standpoint, but Im not sure I see us going that route. Im really not sure how much Reed has left in the tank, could be a year, could be 3 or 4 years like he claims. But we need to be careful about how much money we are putting into future years especially for a player of Reed's age and durability. Suggs, Ngata, Webb, Yanda, Rice and soon Flacco are all set to have pretty sizable cap numbers a couple years down the road.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
This is an interesting dilemma for us. Reed has flirted with the idea of retirement for the last 2 or 3 years yet he wants a long term commitment which kind of sends a mixed message.

It was reported that the Ravens offered Reed a multiyear extension prior to last season but he turned it down, which would seem to indicate that the money wasnt enough. Now for what its worth Chris Mortenson is saying the Ravens will let him test free agency. A lot could depend on the season Reed has, but as much of a game changer as he is, Im not sure what type of contract a soon to be 35 year old safety will get. Charles Woodson got a pretty nice contract extension around Reed's age so that might be what he's targeting.

The franchise tag would make sense from a financial standpoint, but Im not sure I see us going that route. Im really not sure how much Reed has left in the tank, could be a year, could be 3 or 4 years like he claims. But we need to be careful about how much money we are putting into future years especially for a player of Reed's age and durability. Suggs, Ngata, Webb, Yanda, Rice and soon Flacco are all set to have pretty sizable cap numbers a couple years down the road.

Agreed.

I think we let Ed test the waters like we did to Ray, and let him see that we're the best option he has.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:

The length of the rest of Reed's career is the biggest mystery on the team in my opinion (more so than the offensive line battle even). I don't think they will do what they did with Lewis and give him a lengthy contract but who knows. I'm not too worried about the rising cap numbers of the guys with the bigger contracts because of the boost the salary cap will get when the TV contract money kicks in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: