Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp / Preseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalterRedskins wrote:
I went to the afternoon practice on Friday. I went with a girl so I wasn't scouting as much as normal, haha...

BUTT I did notice that:
-RG3 seemed to scramble a lot.
-RG3 has some gosh-darn ZIP! Balls had some fire on 'em..
-I didn't notice a difference in throws between John Beck and Kirk Cousins.
-Hankerson looked good and seems like our biggest receiver.
-Aldrick Robinson was an absolute butterfingers
-Helu out performed Hightower from the looks of it.
-Rak was beating T-Will in the "1st Team O vs. 1st Team D" drills...
-More people then I had ever seen at a practice (discounting the 'Fan Appreciation Day')
Cool. Thanks Walter. Good luck with the girl bro

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WalterRedskins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
WalterRedskins wrote:
I went to the afternoon practice on Friday. I went with a girl so I wasn't scouting as much as normal, haha...

BUTT I did notice that:
-RG3 seemed to scramble a lot.
-RG3 has some gosh-darn ZIP! Balls had some fire on 'em..
-I didn't notice a difference in throws between John Beck and Kirk Cousins.
-Hankerson looked good and seems like our biggest receiver.
-Aldrick Robinson was an absolute butterfingers
-Helu out performed Hightower from the looks of it.
-Rak was beating T-Will in the "1st Team O vs. 1st Team D" drills...
-More people then I had ever seen at a practice (discounting the 'Fan Appreciation Day')
Cool. Thanks Walter. Good luck with the girl bro

Thanks homie

ADOPT-A-REDSKIN
Fred Davis: 24 Receptions, 325 Yards - IR
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks looking good so far....
Quote:
One player who certainly stood out on offense during today’s training camp practice was wide receiver Brandon Banks.

While practicing against the defense, Banks made several catches — many of which were in heavy traffic — and showed his elite speed and quickness.

http://m.redskins.com/s/showPage.do?siteId=75431&pageId=6916786&itemPos=3&itemUri=d4ce676f904e8693f21048d6d4d81a49%2F511224154314801047711111414

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Banks looking good so far....
Quote:
One player who certainly stood out on offense during today’s training camp practice was wide receiver Brandon Banks.

While practicing against the defense, Banks made several catches — many of which were in heavy traffic — and showed his elite speed and quickness.

http://m.redskins.com/s/showPage.do?siteId=75431&pageId=6916786&itemPos=3&itemUri=d4ce676f904e8693f21048d6d4d81a49%2F511224154314801047711111414
He definitely has the abilIty to help us on offense. Kyle just has to get more creative in using him. I really, really think it is going to be hard to keep Banks and his big play ability off this team.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a write up of what's going on in camp in the general forum. Read it is you'd like:

Redskins:

1. Griffin did struggle the first day with accuracy but his cannon of an arm is clear. He looked better with accuracy the next day. It is not a concern at all and the coaches are very impressed with his maturity and his learning curve. It's been reported he never makes the same mistakes twice and asks the right questions of coaches and vets and learns. He also has been called a natural leader by veterans such as Fletcher, Cooley, Moss and Hall.

2. Jammal Brown hurt his hip again, this time doing wind sprints. It's safe to say that his time in dc could be coming to a close and his career if he can not get healthy. Cutting him would pretty much be a wash, I think we would make out in the transaction buy a few hundred thousand.

-The good thing is that we have prepared for this. Tyler Polumbus who shanahan has had since Denver was signed mid way last season. Tyler was serviceable at both guard and right tackle when he filled in for injuries and I really expect him to be the starter at rt this year.

-Also, Willie Smith filled in the last month for Trent Williams last year and was serviceable as well. I really like Willie and who knows maybe with a full Offseason of development, he's the guy to start opposite Trent.

-We also have Maurice Hurt our 7th round pick from the 2011 draft working at RT. last year Hurt played LG and was serviceable, who knows, he could be the answer but he's fighting for a spot on the team as a reserve.

-We also drafted Tom Compton a 6th round pick who is developing. So we have a serviceable vet and young guys developing at the tackle position.

3. Kory Lichtensteiger returned from his torn knee ligaments. He has a heavy brace but overall everyone says he looks good. Kory has lost some weight and says that he feels good and near 100% also.

- Word is that our 3rd round pick Leribeus is looking ok he's wen snapping for Griffin, working out at center some. I don't know what to make of that. Will Montgomery has been a decent center for us for a few years, I can't imagine him not starting.

4. Our position players have looked good. Garçon, Moss, Morgan and Armstrong look good.

- Hankerson is back, not 100% but looks good.

- We signed Dezmon Briscoe after the Bucs cut him because he was putting personal life over the team and he failed his conditioning test.

- word is Bandon Banks is looking good as well.

5. Our RB situation is in good shape. Helu and Royster look like two steals in the draft last year. Hightower is recovering from ACL surgery but he's looked good considering. Some think he will be starting, I'm not there. I have Helu starting and Royster backing him up as Hightower recovers from the knee in hey more and gets back to 100%.

- we had Ryan Grant and Cedric Benson in to look at them, but signed neither so far. I think that's a good sign for how our other backs look vs them.

- Darrell Young was a great pick up a few years ago as an Udfa. Originally a LB, switched to FB in 2010 when shanahan came in and has been solid

6. Our TE position is the best position on the team. We still have Fred Davis and Chris Cooley is back healthy and he and Davis are rotating with the first team.

- Logan Paulsen has been our back up TE for going on 3 years now and he's our best blocking TE and a reliable receiver

- we moved last years 5th round draft pick Niles Paul from wr to TE at the end of last year when Davis was suspended. So far the move is working out well. He's a good blocker (for a wr) and because he has 4.5 speed (being an ex wr) LBs and Safties have trouble covering him. He's looked good but is raw and needs more development.

Defense:

1. Our DL is returning the same starting 3 from last year and they started to gel at the end of the year. Opposing coaches were saying that Cofield looked like the best NT in the league at the end of the year. They should be able to develop more chemistry and improve this year

- Both Jarvis Jenkins (2011 2nd round pick) and Kedric Golston are back from ACL surgeries last year. Jenkins can play all dl positions but is a bit rusty from not playing last year as a rookie and is a little bit behind the others. He is the most talented DL though so having him back is good. It's like having an extra draft pick this year.

3. Our LB situation is great. Orakpo and Kerrigan have been unblockable in camp. Fletcher has looked as good as ever.

- perry Riley is a candidate for breakthrough player of the year for us. He came on strong last year as a run stuffer who got Ito opposing teams back fields on the regular. He is still developing though and definitely needs more work in his pass defense, but that will come in time.

4. Frankly outside of Hall and Wilson our entire secondary is a question mark.

- Barnes and Cedric Griffin have looked good from what I've heard in camp and they are versatile. Barnes is expected to stay on the outside this year because he struggled as our slot cb last year. Barnes can also play safety and has playing well there as well. I think Barnes is our 4th cb

- Chase Minifield looked to be a steal as an Udfa but he tore his ACL during TE last OTAs and was put on IR

- Brandyn Thompson and Richard Crawford our 7th round picks from the last two years will compete for the last cb spot with a few journeymen

5. Our safety position is a flat our mess and has been since Sean Taykor was killed. We are patch working/stop gapping again this season. Right now Brandon Meriweather and Madieu Williams are slated to be our starters. Williams is very intelligent and has done a great job learning the defense and getting everyone lined up, he's been a qb on the field. He's lost a step over the years but they like his intelligence

- Gomes, Doughty, Tanard Jackson and Jordan Bernstein (7th round pick) are competing for two spots. Right now I'd give it to Jackson who may possibly start, he's our most athletic FS and he may start over Madieu williams.

- so that means Gomes and Doughty are fighting for one spot really and I think Bernstein will be on the practice squad.

- I like Doughty and Gomes a lot. Doughty's time with the team may w done though in favor of youth and our future. I've read Gomes is having a good camp and has improved his play against the pass. They are both stout run defenders. Gomes is better at blitzing.

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/redskins-adam-carrikers-odd-preperation-for-heat-at-training-camp/

Redskins: Adam Carriker’s Odd Preperation For Heat At Training Camp

Quote:
“Basically in an attempt to mimic what I’m going through in training camp I put on a t-shirt, a long-sleeve shirt, one of my winter Nebraska — what I wore in the winter in Nebraska when it was 0 degrees and the bears are hibernating because they’re smart enough not to go outside,” Carriker said recently on 4th & Pain, a show he co-hosts with me. “I’m wearing this Nebraska hooded sweatshirt and then I’m wearing a winter stocking cap and then I put the hood on. Then I’ll go run outside. And then I go lift at the gym.”

“On the way to the gym I’m cranking the heat at 90 degrees full-blast as hot as it’ll go,” he said. “You know how when you get back to your car it’s always 10-times hotter than when you left it? I don’t cool it down. I don’t roll the window down. I blast the heat. I make it hotter. It’s just my little attempt to mimic that head which is going to be ridiculous throughout training camp. And then I lift. I do 500 pounds, I do 405 on the close-grip. This is just how I’ve been training. I sure hope it pays off because it sure hasn’t been a lot of fun.”
Carriker is such a beast, he's so strong and stout. He was a real steal when we traded for him. You gotta love the way he prepared for todays heat. Cool

He's borderline ... no, he's full on crazy.

However, he's our crazy.

I dig it.
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time a non-game day or FFMD thread had a sticky? Laughing

By the way, what's the date of our first preseason game? What's the date of the opening Hall of Fame game?
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 60 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 10 catches, 47 yards... and a fumble
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:

I'll reveal a lesson from mod school:

Don't sticky posts too much. Posters will skip over them. Let posts rise and fall based on the conversation of the board.

It generally works. In this case, I wanted a single clearinghouse of training camp info to avoid a ton of a duplicate threads on what is happening in camp.

Quote:
By the way, what's the date of our first preseason game? What's the date of the opening Hall of Fame game?

first preseason game
Hall of Fame game
snark at me, and I'll snark right back
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider

Redskins insider news:

1. Tanard Jackson said that he has been cleared to practice. He will have to wait a few more days to do so though because of language in the new cba.

Quote:
Under the CBA, there can be no on-field activities for players on the first day of a team’s training camp, and players cannot wear pads or have contact when they practice on the second and third days of camp. Jackson said he was told that players coming off the camp PUP list are subject to similar restrictions after they are cleared to play.

2. Tim Hightower is still progressing well in his recovery from ACL surgery. He is hopeful to play in next weeks preseason game vs the bills. I hope that they keep him out though, I don't want to push him.

http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss.jsp;jsessionid=C7E2ABD9B8C705A47930E6FAC46AE347?rssid=153811&item=http%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fFragment%2fSysConfig%2fWebPortal%2ftwpweb%2frss%2fmobile%2fblog-entry.jpp%3fid%3d1001.4.4039127941&cid=-1&page=1

Quote:
Meriweather also said on Saturday that second-year pro DeJon Gomes should not be overlooked. “That kid plays hard and is real smart,’’ the veteran said.
I take it with a little bit of a grain of salt, but it's nice to know that Meriweather is noticing DeJon Gomes and thinks he plays hard and is smart.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/washington-redskins-training-camp-day-4-afternoon-shanahan-griffin-iii/

Quote:
Kory Lichtensteiger, Tanard Jackson, Jonathan Goff & Jammal Brown all didn’t practice today.

Lichtensteiger had some soreness in his knee and had an MRI which showed some loose particles.  He then had his knee scoped and Shanahan is hopeful he’ll be back for the last preseason game or week one.  There was no injury to his acl or mcl.  Maurice Hurt was filling in for Lichtensteiger today at left guard on the first team.
I'm thankful we have Hurt and he got all that work last year at LG.

1. Willie Smith- twisted his knee and will have an MRI

2. Josh Morgan had a cramp

3. Darrel Young injured his hamstring, but its not accepted to be serious

4. We signed Jordan Black a journeyman OL

- Audio on 106.7 the fan of Tim Hightower and Niles Paul

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/washington-redskins-training-camp-day-4-morning-hightower-paul/

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider

Redskins insider news:

1. Tanard Jackson said that he has been cleared to practice. He will have to wait a few more days to do so though because of language in the new cba.

Quote:
Under the CBA, there can be no on-field activities for players on the first day of a team’s training camp, and players cannot wear pads or have contact when they practice on the second and third days of camp. Jackson said he was told that players coming off the camp PUP list are subject to similar restrictions after they are cleared to play.

2. Tim Hightower is still progressing well in his recovery from ACL surgery. He is hopeful to play in next weeks preseason game vs the bills. I hope that they keep him out though, I don't want to push him.

http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss.jsp;jsessionid=C7E2ABD9B8C705A47930E6FAC46AE347?rssid=153811&item=http%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fFragment%2fSysConfig%2fWebPortal%2ftwpweb%2frss%2fmobile%2fblog-entry.jpp%3fid%3d1001.4.4039127941&cid=-1&page=1

Quote:
Meriweather also said on Saturday that second-year pro DeJon Gomes should not be overlooked. “That kid plays hard and is real smart,’’ the veteran said.
I take it with a little bit of a grain of salt, but it's nice to know that Meriweather is noticing DeJon Gomes and thinks he plays hard and is smart.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/washington-redskins-training-camp-day-4-afternoon-shanahan-griffin-iii/

Quote:
Kory Lichtensteiger, Tanard Jackson, Jonathan Goff & Jammal Brown all didn’t practice today.

Lichtensteiger had some soreness in his knee and had an MRI which showed some loose particles.  He then had his knee scoped and Shanahan is hopeful he’ll be back for the last preseason game or week one.  There was no injury to his acl or mcl.  Maurice Hurt was filling in for Lichtensteiger today at left guard on the first team.
I'm thankful we have Hurt and he got all that work last year at LG.

1. Willie Smith- twisted his knee and will have an MRI

2. Josh Morgan had a cramp

3. Darrel Young injured his hamstring, but its not accepted to be serious

4. We signed Jordan Black a journeyman OL

- Audio on 106.7 the fan of Tim Hightower and Niles Paul

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/washington-redskins-training-camp-day-4-morning-hightower-paul/

Bro thanks so much for the updates.....keep em comming!!!!!
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:

I'll reveal a lesson from mod school:

Don't sticky posts too much. Posters will skip over them. Let posts rise and fall based on the conversation of the board.

It generally works. In this case, I wanted a single clearinghouse of training camp info to avoid a ton of a duplicate threads on what is happening in camp.

Quote:

first preseason game
Hall of Fame game
snark at me, and I'll snark right back

Exactly right! I was looking for the TC thread and went back two pages. Came back to Page one and then finally saw it stickied.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweety bird has arrived! :

1. Fred Davis and Trent Williams trying to regain Redskins' trust wp.me/p14QSB-4yvW - ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) July 29, 2012

2. #Redskins' Orakpo in a rush to get better. Wants to be top 5 in sacks | WashingtonExaminer.com bit.ly/M2crSh John Keim (@john_keim) July 29, 2012

3. Need to Know: Multiple NFC East teams claimed Briscoe #Redskins #RedskinsTalk bit.ly/ObN8iz Rich Tandler (@Rich_Tandler) July 29, 2012

4. Shanahan says rookie DB Jordan Bernstine has "elite speed."- Redskins (@Redskins) July 28, 2012

5. Redskins Mike Sellers will retire. #SkinNews- DC Maryland Virginia (@DMVFollowers) July 28, 2012

6. Redskins are confident that Pierre Garçon will be the number 1 receiver #FantasyFootball#garçon Best F'N FantasyShow (@BestFNShow) July 29, 2012

7. Saturday Slop: Chris Cooley Says Everyone Loves @RGIII; Ryan Kerrigan Wants to Make Strides in Second Season httr4life.com/redskins-train… #Redskins HTTR4LIFE.COM® (@HTTR4LIFE) July 28, 2012

8. # 6 - DeAngelo Hall hada rough day. He was beaten several times on sideline out routes by Garcon + Moss blew past him in slot, no bump/jam Chris Russell (@Russellmania980) July 28, 2012

THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiths injury doesn't doing good.
Quote:
Washington Redskins OT Willie Smith (knee) suffered a knee injury during one-on-one drills Monday, July 30. Smith's leg was caught under his own weight, and the injury was reportedly ugly.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/news.php#800887

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Smiths injury doesn't doing good.
Quote:
Washington Redskins OT Willie Smith (knee) suffered a knee injury during one-on-one drills Monday, July 30. Smith's leg was caught under his own weight, and the injury was reportedly ugly.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/news.php#800887
aww crap! That makes me sick! Like no, really sick. Having a bad knee where I've dislocated the knee cap 3 times I can't imagine the pain. Ugh

Willie Smith was my dog also. I wanted him to defy the odds and be a great OL.

I guess the reports of us looking to trade Cooley to the Raiders for Khalif Barnes or Joseph Barkesdale bust be true. Sad Sad

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard an update from Grant Paulsen at 8:25 on my way to work:

1. Alfred Morris is really looking good and he is a player to watch out for in preseason

2. Chris Cookey isn't getting much separation (but he never has) he still has the best hands on the team though and makes the toughest catches. He is also a better blocker than Fred Davis and Niles Paul. Grant also said he thinks Logan Paulsen will make the team because we need a big blocking TE. He said they are going to be worried about Nikes Paul being on the end of the line and asked to block DE's

3. He said of all the young offensive Lineman than my name sake Adam Gettis has looked the best (I did predict that) mainly because of his perfect size for the Zbs and he played in the Zbs at Iowa

4. He said that with the wr position he sees us keeping 6. He said there are 4 locks:

Garçon
Hankerson
Moss
Morgan

The 5th is a competition between Armstrong, Austin, Briscoe and Robinson. In this group he said that Armstrong and Austin are playing the best. He said Briscoe is way behind in the playobook and has a lot of work to do. He didn't say anything about Robinson but I can tell you I watched Redskins nation and I saw him drop a TD pass in a drill with no one covering him. It's really not looking good for Robinson.

The 6th spot at WR will be a special teams/return spot. Grant said that Brandon Banks has surprised and had a great camp! He's looked good on returns, explosive and he has looked good on offense as well.

Right now id say Armstrong and Banks are your #5 and 6 wrs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: