Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp / Preseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
http://www.csnwashington.com/08/13/12/34-Redskins-on-the-bubble/landing_redskins.html?blockID=755981&feedID=4717

Tandler's Bubble players. It was from Monday, so it has Neild on it, but it's interesting read.


Offense (17)

OL Eric Cook- cut
OL Tony Moll- cut
OL Jordan Black- cut
OL Jammal Brown- cut
OL Tom Compton- ps
RB Alfred Morris- ps
TE Chris Cooley- bubble
TE Logan Paulsen- bubble
WR Anthony Armstrong- cut
WR Terrence Austin- cut
WR Dez Briscoe- bubble


I don't think we can risk letting Morris go to waivers at this point. I think it's almost guaranteed that someone would pick him up should we put him on waivers.

I think the rest of your picks are more or less spot on (if Brown can show that he can maybe go, he probably avoids the Turk ... but that's a big if at this point).

Quote:
Defense (15)

CB Brandyn Thompson- bubble
DE Kedric Golston- bubble
DE Darrion Scott- bubble
DE Doug Worthington- bubble
LB Bryan Kehl- cut
DL Chris Neild- ir
LB Markus White- ir
LB Chris Wilson- cut
S Jordan Bernstine- ps
S Reed Doughty- bubble
S DeJon Gomes- bubble


Worthington's probably going to lose, and I think Golston beats out Scott if they only keep six. I think Thompson is on the outside looking in after the way Crawford has played (I doubt we carry six corners). Kehl literally let a job slip through his fingers, twice no less, with those two dropped interceptions.

I think Doughty gets through because they're going to park Gomes on IR.

Quote:
Specialist (2)

K Graham Gano- cut

That's my list currently on that


*shrugs* Other than that one day where Gano was off, what has Rackers done to completely outshine him? You need to have a pretty good reason to take a 36 year old over a 25 year old.

Code:
RACKERS
72 yd kickoff
-----
28 yd field goal
68 yd kickoff
70 yd kickoff
54 yd field goal miss
2 XP


GANO
1 XP
69 yd kickoff
-----
73 yd kickoff
1 XP
73 yd kickoff
70 yd kickoff
50 yd kickoff (from 50 yd line due to penalty)


(dashed line separates games)

KICKOFFS
If we exclude Gano's 50 yd kickoff (since it was spotted at midfield), he's had four kickoffs for an average of 71.25 (6.25 yds deep in the end zone). Rackers has had two kickoffs for an average of 69.0 yds (4 yds deep in the end zone).

Advantage: Gano.

FIELD GOALS
There have only been two field goals attempted, both by Rackers last night. The 28 yarder is a chipshot, and the 54 yarder is a prayer. Neither really say anything about the competition, other than the coaching staff wondering if Rackers can hit it from deep.

Advantage: Rackers (only because he was given the opportunities), but probably closer to inconclusive.

EXTRA POINTS
Four attempts, four makes, two for each.

Advantage: Tie.

So, right now, I'd say it's Rackers who is behind, simply due to age, cost, and not outshining the young guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Well it was similar to the come in motion and flip it to Moss play from Grossman last year. If we can use Moss/Banks in those types of plays, it could be big gainers and catch the D off guard with quick hitter
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Well it was similar to the come in motion and flip it to Moss play from Grossman last year. If we can use Moss/Banks in those types of plays, it could be big gainers and catch the D off guard with quick hitter


Could make the same statement with Moss/Robinson. Wink

(okay, that was me jerking your chain a bit ... my apologies ... but I think you set yourself up for it Wink ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Well it was similar to the come in motion and flip it to Moss play from Grossman last year. If we can use Moss/Banks in those types of plays, it could be big gainers and catch the D off guard with quick hitter


Could make the same statement with Moss/Robinson. Wink

(okay, that was me jerking your chain a bit ... my apologies ... but I think you set yourself up for it Wink ).
Let me know when Robinson actually fields a punt. Wink something Banks has no problem doing
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Well it was similar to the come in motion and flip it to Moss play from Grossman last year. If we can use Moss/Banks in those types of plays, it could be big gainers and catch the D off guard with quick hitter


Could make the same statement with Moss/Robinson. Wink

(okay, that was me jerking your chain a bit ... my apologies ... but I think you set yourself up for it Wink ).
Let me know when Robinson actually fields a punt. Wink something Banks has no problem doing


Given his speed, you would think that he would have done more returning in college. However, per his stats, he only returned 5 kickoffs in his four years (three in his freshman year, two in his senior year). He did have a 42 yard return though.

However, Banks is not the only guy in the roster who can field a punt or return a kickoff. He may be the only one whose only contribution is that, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I just found in the FOA 2012 (emphasis in original):

Quote:
The total quality of an NFL team is three parts offense, three parts defense, and one part special teams.
There are three units on a football team, but they are not of equal importance. Our DVOA ratings provide good evidence for this. The special teams ratings are turned into DVOA by comparing how often field position on special teams leads to scoring compared to field position and first downs on offense. After figuring out these numbers, the top ratings for special teams are roughly one-third as high as the top ratings for offense or defense.


Another way to look at it: Banks would have to be three times the returner that the next option would be to necessitate keeping him over someone who could contribute directly on offense or defense. In the past two years, this could have been the case. Now? It's a lot more dicey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 6725
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well, Banks is too small to block and is thus a liability in the run game. Unless he absolutely balls out at WR, they know its going to be a throw or a gadget when he checks into the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
As well, Banks is too small to block and is thus a liability in the run game. Unless he absolutely balls out at WR, they know its going to be a throw or a gadget when he checks into the game.


You could use him as a decoy: fake the bubble screen and have a delayed hand off.

Okay, I'll admit I'm reaching here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I like that play call to Rainey, take notes Kyle, we could do that with Banks and Moss. Very Creative from hailey


What did he do?
Well it was similar to the come in motion and flip it to Moss play from Grossman last year. If we can use Moss/Banks in those types of plays, it could be big gainers and catch the D off guard with quick hitter


Could make the same statement with Moss/Robinson. Wink

(okay, that was me jerking your chain a bit ... my apologies ... but I think you set yourself up for it Wink ).
Let me know when Robinson actually fields a punt. Wink something Banks has no problem doing


Given his speed, you would think that he would have done more returning in college. However, per his stats, he only returned 5 kickoffs in his four years (three in his freshman year, two in his senior year). He did have a 42 yard return though.

However, Banks is not the only guy in the roster who can field a punt or return a kickoff. He may be the only one whose only contribution is that, though.
Yeah. I know, but we've had these discussions for 3 training camps. Oh this or that guy, but banks is still the best we have and he can contibute on offense if we put him in positions for him to succeed
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
As well, Banks is too small to block and is thus a liability in the run game. Unless he absolutely balls out at WR, they know its going to be a throw or a gadget when he checks into the game.
He's short, he can cut block with the best of them Wink
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 6725
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
As well, Banks is too small to block and is thus a liability in the run game. Unless he absolutely balls out at WR, they know its going to be a throw or a gadget when he checks into the game.


You could use him as a decoy: fake the bubble screen and have a delayed hand off.

Okay, I'll admit I'm reaching here.


Still I'd call a "gadget play" because you gotta gameplan around him not being able to do basic things an NFL WR needs to be able to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62506
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can catch screen passes, get him the ball in space with blockers in front.

How often do #5 or 6 wrs see the field on offense anyways??? I'd say never unless there are injuries. Those players are primarily special tems players, which banks is one of the best special teams players in the league. advantage banks

Does Briscoe even play special teams? I didn't see him out there.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
As well, Banks is too small to block and is thus a liability in the run game. Unless he absolutely balls out at WR, they know its going to be a throw or a gadget when he checks into the game.


You could use him as a decoy: fake the bubble screen and have a delayed hand off.

Okay, I'll admit I'm reaching here.


Still I'd call a "gadget play" because you gotta gameplan around him not being able to do basic things an NFL WR needs to be able to do.


Fair enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group