Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible Dwight Freeney trade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Possible Dwight Freeney trade? Reply with quote

NFC south Pat Yasinskas has suggested that If the Colts were to trade

Dwight, He could end up in Nola.

So how much would we give up for him? and would It even make sense?

Link Below
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/36815/nfc-south-afternoon-update-4
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Saints are now only $8 mill under the cap Dancing we certainly have the budget for this kind of move, but the real questions are what are they asking for? This is a guy towards the end of his career, so if it is for a mid to late round pick, I might be ok. I think he still has some gas in the tank and might be able to provide more talented depth on the DLine.

While I am not saying "We have to get him!", I am certainly not opposed if the asking price is right.

EDIT: Hmmm...for some reason I was thinking he was older (he is just 32). Maybe this would be a good move if we could land him. He did post 8.5 sacks last season on a horrendous defense.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is willing to restructure his deal, I'd be more than willing to take him.

Spag's D would benefit greatly with a guy like Freeney included off the edge. I know we might be in a little trouble cap wise next season, but I'm assuming guys like Smith and Vilma will be cap casualties next season, and Harper will most probably restructure.

Getting a damn good pass rushing threat like Freeney would be great for this team. He would also be a quality mentor for guys like Jordan, Junior and Martez.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeney in Spags defense on the Superdome turf? Ah, yeah...
saintsfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly they want a pick in the 3rd or 4th round. I'd be more than happy to give that up for Freeney. Atlanta also is interested in trading for Dwight but they are only 2 mil under the cap. Freeney is willing to restructure too.

www.beattproductions.com

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 31 cat 431 yds 2 TDs
S Rafael Bush 55 tak 0 INT 3 PD IR
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few questions for all people involved:

1st - Would the Saints benefit from a guy like Freeney? I say yes. CS said it pretty well...
Canadian Saint wrote:
He would also be a quality mentor for guys like Jordan, Junior and Martez.

2nd - Are the Saints and New Orleans a good fit for Dwight Freeney? I tend to think yes. Put him in for Will Smith while Smith serves his suspension then after switch him to the opposite side. This is of course if Smith plays with the chip on his shoulder I think he will.

3rd - What will a deal like this cost us? 3rd or 4th works IMO.

^NS922 on the sig^
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Few questions for all people involved:

1st - Would the Saints benefit from a guy like Freeney? I say yes. CS said it pretty well...
Canadian Saint wrote:
He would also be a quality mentor for guys like Jordan, Junior and Martez.

2nd - Are the Saints and New Orleans a good fit for Dwight Freeney? I tend to think yes. Put him in for Will Smith while Smith serves his suspension then after switch him to the opposite side. This is of course if Smith plays with the chip on his shoulder I think he will.

3rd - What will a deal like this cost us? 3rd or 4th works IMO.

Agreed. The Saints have no problem giving away draft picks. But who's to argue when the land great bargains through free agency to fill needs, then have a high success rate w/ mid/late round draft picks and UDFA. I don't think that compensation is going to be the issue...it is going to be Freeney's price tag. The Saints can't adopt Freeneys current contract and not put themselves in a world of hurt in resigning next year's FA. If signing Freeney means losing Graham...that would be absolutely stupid. I have a feeling that Loomis can make the numbers work...but he better be certain. Freeney is an animal though and even if he is only a situational pass rusher, he would be a huge asset for the Saints.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it happens, but I'd have no problem with a 3rd for Freeney.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Considering the Saints are now only $8 mill under the cap

Jeff Duncan says $13,000,000 under when the Vilma suit is over, which likely will result in no changes to Vilma's suspension.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:

Jeff Duncan says $13,000,000 under when the Vilma suit is over, which likely will result in no changes to Vilma's suspension.

I thought I read that with Vilma's restructuring, he was only counting $2 million against the cap? Did I misread something? Where does an additional $5 million come from?

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:

I thought I read that with Vilma's restructuring, he was only counting $2 million against the cap? Did I misread something? Where does an additional $5 million come from?

No idea, just repeating what I heard.
Quote:
#Saints now $8M under the cap (and potentially $13M under pending Vilma suspension): NFC South cap room update

https://twitter.com/JeffDuncanTP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan also posted a link to how the Saints are going to be in cap hell in 2013, but the link didn't mention the likelyhood of guys taking restructured deals, or being flatout cut.

I trust Loomis, he's done great so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Duncan also posted a link to how the Saints are going to be in cap hell in 2013, but the link didn't mention the likelyhood of guys taking restructured deals, or being flatout cut.

He's right we could be, but I don't think we will be.

Next year, Bushrod, DLP and Ellis are the essential players that need re-signing. The others such as Ivory and co, while would prefer to keep, aren't essential to this team.

The good news is, Ellis should count less than his cap hit(7.57) if he gets a new deal next year. I know having Spags run our D could see Ellis have a great year, but I think he should be less.

Both Henderson and Shanle's contracts are up, and both likely won't return.

Will Smith and his big cap hit shouldn't return. Harper most likely re-negotiates a deal or gets cut.

I don't think we'll have an issue at all. If we want to keep everyone, then yes we will run into an issue, but we have enough mid-level salaries coming off the books, and some key cap casualties that we can work for us to create cap space.

Will Smith is a big problem. If the information is right, he'll earn somewhere around $15M as it stands currently next season.

His signing bonus is $6M alone and that figure carries through. Luckily Harper's signing bonus is only $1.75M.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Next year, Bushrod, DLP and Ellis are the essential players that need re-signing. The others such as Ivory and co, while would prefer to keep, aren't essential to this team.

The good news is, Ellis should count less than his cap hit(7.57) if he gets a new deal next year. I know having Spags run our D could see Ellis have a great year, but I think he should be less.

Both Henderson and Shanle's contracts are up, and both likely won't return.

Will Smith and his big cap hit shouldn't return. Harper most likely re-negotiates a deal or gets cut.

I don't think we'll have an issue at all. If we want to keep everyone, then yes we will run into an issue, but we have enough mid-level salaries coming off the books, and some key cap casualties that we can work for us to create cap space.

Will Smith is a big problem. If the information is right, he'll earn somewhere around $15M as it stands currently next season.

His signing bonus is $6M alone and that figure carries through. Luckily Harper's signing bonus is only $1.75M.

After Ellis's first two seasons, he has been a massive disappointment. If he doesn't put up good stats this season I seriously doubt that he will be back with the Saints. The Saints no doubt hope that Hicks is the guy at UT...with Bunkley manning NT. Both Hicks and Ellis have to show their worth this year.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

I agree. Loomis has proven he is a cap guru. I'm not worried at all. People said we were in cap hell this year, and it's been the best offseason (on paper) since we signed Brees. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: