Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Training camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
ET wrote:
Having Butler/Newton as your bookends is pretty much dialing up an 8-8 season.

This made me chuckle a little bit... Butler is probably the epitome of a replacement level player, so to use baseball terms, you're calling Duane Brown a 2-4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement) player in a 16 game season. Ludicrous.

1. The decrease is actually Duane to Newton as Newton is the one added to the lineup
2. How much do you think an elite LT is worth?
3. There is a general loss of value in a ZBS when someone is inserted even if they are the same level because familiarity is so important.

Calling that drop 2-4 games is far from ludicrous.

#JDI
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Gruden when talking about the Texans after the first week said Mercilus reminds him of Demarcus Ware. Pretty high praise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
ET wrote:

This made me chuckle a little bit... Butler is probably the epitome of a replacement level player, so to use baseball terms, you're calling Duane Brown a 2-4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement) player in a 16 game season. Ludicrous.

1. The decrease is actually Duane to Newton as Newton is the one added to the lineup
2. How much do you think an elite LT is worth?
3. There is a general loss of value in a ZBS when someone is inserted even if they are the same level because familiarity is so important.

Calling that drop 2-4 games is far from ludicrous.

I think Duane Brown is worth 1 maybe, just maybe, 2 wins per year. Which in a 16 game season, is an incredible, incredible amount of worth.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

bunnyracin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jon Gruden when talking about the Texans after the first week said Mercilus reminds him of Demarcus Ware. Pretty high praise.
I thought the same thing during the CAR game mainly because of the half-arm sleeves but they both weigh the same and are the same height

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
ET wrote:

Not looking at the bigger picture. You're looking at Duane Brown in a vaccum with this moneyball-esque review. What you're missing is that we're already replacing the entire right side to begin with - this year, and (for all intensive purposes) next year.

With a team that strives for balance with the run, using a run blocking system that is predicated upon the front five having chemistry with one another, a QB who is an unknown commodity in regards to injury and setting up passing plays where the QB tends to roll outside of the tackle box on play action - yes, I WOULD say that losing 60% of your offensive line would have a 2-4 game swing against this team.

Bigger picture here, hombre. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday was Kubiak’s 51st birthday. Matt Schaub tried to pour a bucket of water on him but missed.

“Another incompletion by Matt Schaub today,” Kubiak said with a laugh.

Then, Schaub made the rookies sing Happy Birthday to Kubiak.

Good to see everyone relaxed and having fun this far into camp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
ET wrote:

Not looking at the bigger picture. You're looking at Duane Brown in a vaccum with this moneyball-esque review. What you're missing is that we're already replacing the entire right side to begin with - this year, and (for all intensive purposes) next year.

With a team that strives for balance with the run, using a run blocking system that is predicated upon the front five having chemistry with one another, a QB who is an unknown commodity in regards to injury and setting up passing plays where the QB tends to roll outside of the tackle box on play action - yes, I WOULD say that losing 60% of your offensive line would have a 2-4 game swing against this team.

I still disagree. I love Duane Brown, but he doesn't have that much of an impact in the W-L column.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
ET wrote:

I still disagree. I love Duane Brown, but he doesn't have that much of an impact in the W-L column.

He is a top 3 LT in the league, if we were discussing a G or even C, then you could say they have limited affects in the game. But we're talking about the guy who protects the blindside and can literally get the QB knocked out and MUCH EASIER than the other oline can.

I argued Brown was more important than Schaub, so obviously I say he is more important than Barwin
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

I tend to take everything Jon Gruden says with a handful of salt. Helluva X's and O's guy, not a great talent evaluator. Also, NFL head coaches tend to lose about 20 IQ points when they make the move from coaching to commentating.

Sig by matthouston91
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Scurfield:
Quote:
Bradie James on #Texans vs Cowboys: “Just being here, being on the other side, I feel like I’m on the right side.”

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/236499880485474306

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Nick Scurfield:
Quote:
Bradie James on #Texans vs Cowboys: “Just being here, being on the other side, I feel like I’m on the right side.”

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/236499880485474306

The more I hear from James, the more I think he knows the right things to say and will say them...even if he doesn't mean it. I can't put my finger on it, but something sounds insincere...like he's trying to be loved by all.

Doesn't sit well with me, but I could be wrong.

jargin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the exact same thing about Mercilus...this guy looks like DeMarcus Ware. I know its completely ridiculous for us to compare them at this point but I like the way Mercilus looks natural in his stance coming off the ball and putting an arm to the chest of the offensive tackle. I'm not sure if Mercilus has the same explosion in his first step as Ware, who is 2nd to none in that category, but they definitely have a similar feel coming off the edge. If Mercilus ever turns out to be that type of player then Rick Smith is just turning the NFL Draft into a gold mining expedition for the Texans every year.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what it is but this team has alot of comradery and I think could be special if things fall right.

Here's Dre trying to win a game of bowling

And this was tweeted by Barwin an hour ago

[/img]

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
[/img]

He BETTER not be cutting the hair off. I will RIOT.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
[/img]

He BETTER not be cutting the hair off. I will RIOT.

Heck no, he was at visible changes in the galleria and my friend works there. She said he just got the bottom cut off so his hair can stay healthy only cut about an inch off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: