Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Williams?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treece300e

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Mike Williams? Reply with quote

Mike Williams was released on Friday. Anyone see us bringing him in for a workout? I personally wouldn't want him as I think he has an extremely poor work ethic and we don't want to promote that to our young receivers, but I wonder what everyone else thinks.
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike Williams? Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Mike Williams was released on Friday. Anyone see us bringing him in for a workout? I personally wouldn't want him as I think he has an extremely poor work ethic and we don't want to promote that to our young receivers, but I wonder what everyone else thinks.
DreDay80

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest he's probably worse than Kevin Walter, no thanks.
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He use to have a bad work ethic, but he worked his way back and I don't think it is poor anymore. He just got injured.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hurt to bring him in for camp
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell no. He is already out of shape, and you don't know how long it will take him to get back in shape in time for the season.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
He use to have a bad work ethic, but he worked his way back and I don't think it is poor anymore. He just got injured.

This is what I see. Guy had a big year two seasons ago, and it isn't as if he was content and ate his way out of the league again. He broke his ankle, hard to play if your ankle is broke.

Camp body at the worst...big, physical, imposing target at best. Says much more than the guys we have after AJ, to be completely honest.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerned if Pete Carroll wasn't willing to bring him back. The guy has had 1 decent season in 7 possible season since he was drafted in 05. Made a decent story in 2010, but he stunk in 2011 in the 10 games before the injury. Ability to separate is amongst the most critical tasks for WRs in this league and if you can't, you are just taking up space out there.

IMO, at the very least we need a vet who will be ready to go from day one in case we need to phase Jean, Posey, Martin, etc in slowly. Doesn't sound like Williams would be physically capable regardless of what you think about his skill level.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

IMO, at the very least we need a vet who will be ready to go from day one in case we need to phase Jean, Posey, Martin, etc in slowly. Doesn't sound like Williams would be physically capable regardless of what you think about his skill level.

That's what Bryant Johnsons for!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Concerned if Pete Carroll wasn't willing to bring him back. The guy has had 1 decent season in 7 possible season since he was drafted in 05.

How much of that was due to a clear drop off in QB play? For as bad as Matt Hasselbeck is, he's loads better than Charlie Whitehurst or Tavaris Jackson. It's gonna be hard for big named WRs to produce with QBs who have no business in the NFL, let alone a guy like Williams, who is by NO stretch a big named WR.

I think the Carroll aspect is warranted, but I know that Seattle has a glut of young WRs they are trying to figure out - Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Ricardo Lockette - and they have the annual "will he stay healthy" watch on Sidney Rice going on. Add that they will be going more two TE sets with Zach Miller and K2, they probably have less of a need for Williams, and saw a chance to cut bait with him and make a spot available for other spots, if need be.

I'll agree, it's a telling sign that the guy who threw him a life preserver is now walking away - but it's not THE most damaging thing. At worst, bring him in. If he's out of shape and the ankle isn't up to snuff, send him away. If it looks as if he's got some football left in him, go for it.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

That's what Bryant Johnsons for!

I should abridge that to "decent" vet. Bryant Johnson (and Derrick Mason & David Anderson) just took up space out there last year. It would not shock me to learn that Rick Smith is specifically NOT bringing in some mediocre vet to placate Kubiak, because Kubiak has a history of just plugging in the vet because of his comfort level while disregarding upside potential or need for young guys to see the field to develop (see also Chris Brown & Ryan Moats instead of Arian Foster, Joel Dreessen instead of Casey or Graham, Brisiel & Wade Smith instead of Caldwell or Shelley Smith etc). I don't completely disagree with the approach, but Rick needs to remain open to making a move for a quality vet if one becomes available as historically receivers are not particularly productive in their first or second season especially at the mid-low levels we currently have beyond AJ & KW and recognizing that KW may already be the least productive #2 in the league not to mention AJ's injury history the past two seasons. I sure would love to see a salary cap update as as far as I can tell, Winston's release still seems premature absent another signing or locking up Brown, Barwin, or Schaub.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

This is what I see. Guy had a big year two seasons ago, and it isn't as if he was content and ate his way out of the league again. He broke his ankle, hard to play if your ankle is broke.

Camp body at the worst...big, physical, imposing target at best. Says much more than the guys we have after AJ, to be completely honest.

Also I think he is a superb blocker, I think I read that somewhere I could be wrong though.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our interest in Mike Williams at WR has more to do with our desperate need for some depth at WR, and with Kubiak's terrible WR draft picks in a WR draft class that was extremely deep, and less to do with Williams actual talent or potential for the position. It's sad when we're considering other teams dregs.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I think our interest in Mike Williams at WR has more to do with our desperate need for some depth at WR, and with Kubiak's terrible WR draft picks in a WR draft class that was extremely deep, and less to do with Williams actual talent or potential for the position. It's sad when we're considering other teams dregs.

Make no bones about it, this is EXACTLY why. This time last year, this time two years ago...I'm sure all of us who'd say "yes" right now would scoff at the idea of BMW on the roster.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Texantype

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DreDay80"]To be honest he's probably worse than Kevin Walter, no thanks.[/quote

BIG DIFFERENCE:

Walters catches the ball and blocks, Williams doesn't!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: