Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brees to hold out of training camp without a long term deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Brees to hold out of training camp without a long term deal Reply with quote

Quote:
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was among the athletes to put on his fancy clothes, and he discussed his contract situation during a pre-show interview.

"I'm an eternal optimist, so I'm still very confident a deal will get done by Monday," Brees said.

The sides have until 4 p.m. ET on Monday to agree on a multiyear deal. Brees, who has yet to sign his franchise tender, reportedly is planning to skip training camp if no such deal is struck, and The Associated Press reported Wednesday that the quarterback and the Saints are more than $10 million apart in guaranteed money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a7d5a6/article/drew-brees-on-saints-deal-im-an-eternal-optimist?module=HP11_headline_stack

Apologies in advance if this isn't OK since it is more about the Saints but this really affects the entire division. The sides are 10m apart and they have until 4PM Monday to agree to a deal or Brees is stuck with the franchise tag. If that is the case, there is a chance Brees could end up skipping out on training camp and not reporting until midway through the preseason to not only make a statement but to avoid any potential injury.

If that does happen, although that would be the best case scenario for us and the worst case scenario for them, how do you think this affect us? Does it change your predictions for us? Do you think it leads to the division race being just between us and Atlanta (remember, New Orleans is also losing Smith and Vilma, two defensive leaders, and their top two coaches; not being able to have Brees there just kills that locker room and team chemistry)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really comes down to how our defense plays this year. If we play well (I.E Top 15 defense) then I say we have a strong chance at taking the division, even if the Saints sign Brees before monday.

That being said, I think in reality if Brees doesn't sign the contract then we will end up second in the division with the Falcons winning the division crown. That will probably lead to a wild card berth, and after that who knows what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, players that hold out in training camps, usually have less than stellar years.

That's all I'm really going to comment right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praying Brees doesn't sign, honestly.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Zithers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoping he continues being a crybaby so that the team chemistry is even more out of whack than it already is.

3rd string head coach for half the year, leader of the defense out for season, disgruntled QB/face of the franchise... sounds like the perfect recipe for a disaster!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's being greedy, no doubt about it.
The team should pay him for what he will do, not what he did.

Moody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Historically, players that hold out in training camps, usually have less than stellar years.

And all that fall out from the bounties. Brees should have tons of leverage regarding the success of this coming season. They could be terrible with no first rounder next draft.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
boondock wrote:

And all that fall out from the bounties. Brees should have tons of leverage regarding the success of this coming season. They could be terrible with no first rounder next draft.

I thought it was no 2nd rounder?

PantherDE90

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
hoping he continues being a crybaby so that the team chemistry is even more out of whack than it already is.

3rd string head coach for half the year, leader of the defense out for season, disgruntled QB/face of the franchise... sounds like the perfect recipe for a disaster!

He's not being a crybaby. He wants what he deserves and is sick of getting tagged. The 2nd best QB in the league shouldn't be treated like how the Saints are doing him. They'd be nothing without Brees and he's trying to make them realize that.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 year 100 mil

I'm not looking forward to the day we have to resign Cam. We will probably ship out Williams, Anderson, and some other contracts that year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
5 year 100 mil

I'm not looking forward to the day we have to resign Cam. We will probably ship out Williams, Anderson, and some other contracts that year.

Do we think D-Will will restructure to keep Stewie this off-season?

BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
5 year 100 mil

I would bet my life on it.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
5 year 100 mil

No doubt in my mind that there will be quite a few contracts that are going to be restructured. D-Will seems to be the first to come to mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Williams/Stewart go, I think Stewart will take over the main role this year, and Williams will be cut next offseason. But thats just my opinion.
atown703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
As far as Williams/Stewart go, I think Stewart will take over the main role this year, and Williams will be cut next offseason. But thats just my opinion.
I doubt he gets cut next year... maybe in 2016 is what I would predict

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: