Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans re-signed Payne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dailyshop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Texans re-signed Payne Reply with quote

They just signed him to a 4 year deal worth 16 mil and with a 4.5 million dollar signing bonus. Now him and Robaire are locked up for the next four years. Now if we could just release Gary Walker!!!!!Ha!!!!
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenwood was also signed as a LB. Word is team is also looking at either Derrick Blaylock (Chiefs) or Ron Dayne (Giants) as a back up RB.

I don't think that Ron Dayne can do any better than what J. Wells did for us this past year (plus Wells played well on special teams) and if they are looking Blaylock's way, I read it as they have given up on Hollings and are admitting they made a mistake by using a 2nd round pick on him.

I'd like to see them add some depth to S, DL, OL, CB, and WR and not all of it through the draft.
dailyshop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Hollings has become a bust so far, but with Domanick and Jonathan Wells ahead of him in the depth chart, it's hard to get carries for him. If we do get another Rb, we could be looking to trade Hollings for a draft pick.

About the Greenwood signing, I am a little skeptical about the length of the contract given to him. I mean 5 year/30 mil total is a bit rough on the cap. They must see something in him we don't. OR AT LEAST HOPE SO!!!

I'm starting to believe this is it for free agency and trying to get some of our free agents signed and focusing on the draft.
AFD1717

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Greenwood Reply with quote

I think Greenwood will be a good addition. I may be off on my numbers, but I think I heard he is 26 and had 101 tackles last year. That's pretty good. What I don't understand is why they needed him. I though they were going to move Wong inside and use Peek and Babin on the outside. Polk played well inside last year which would allow them to move Wong outside occasionally as well. I definately think they needed another LB, but they didn't sign this guy for that much to be a backup. I think what this means is that Peek is once again on the bench. If the biggest problem we have is not getting enough sacks, why do we insist on keeping our undisputed best pass rusher on the bench?
texan0305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: reasoning Reply with quote

Well in the article i read today in the chronicle, people within the organization weren't happen with the way the linebacking core played last year so theyve decided to shuffle things up a little bit, dont be surprised if jamie sharper gets traded he's our best line backer but the word is that they want to free up that cap money since he only has one season left on his contract, i dont like Jay Foreman i'd rather trade him personally than sharper, so they got younger and faster with the addition of Greenwood, also something interesting i just read, before they resigned seth payne they were close to an agreement with pat williams , but they couldn't get the figures right so they decided to sign payne, wouldn't have that been nice pat williams on that dline? but anyways williams ends up signing with the vikings, also as far as cap room goes Greenwood only is getting payed $500,000 this year and then next year he starts making i believe somewhere around 4 mill so they still have some cap room to go sign a few free agents, i hope that helps a little bit : )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: