Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie expectations for Justin Blackmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KhanYouDigIt


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 4722
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
60-80 yards a game? Laughing

960-1,280 yards?

That'll be "slow for him?"

As a rookie who missed a good portion of the offseason?

Yeah, no.


When was the last time a rookie WR got 1200 yards receiving?


Boldin?
_________________


TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35717
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
60-80 yards a game? Laughing

960-1,280 yards?

That'll be "slow for him?"

As a rookie who missed a good portion of the offseason?

Yeah, no.


When was the last time a rookie WR got 1200 yards receiving?


Boldin?


Only happened 4 times...
1. Randy Moss (1997) - 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, 17 TDs
2. Bill Groman (1960) - 72 receptions, 1,473 yards, 12 TDs
3. Anquan Boldin (2003) - 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs
4. Billy Howton (1952) - 53 receptions, 1,231 yards, 13 TDs
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46866
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
60-80 yards a game? Laughing

960-1,280 yards?

That'll be "slow for him?"

As a rookie who missed a good portion of the offseason?

Yeah, no.


When was the last time a rookie WR got 1200 yards receiving?


Boldin?


Only happened 4 times...
1. Randy Moss (1997) - 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, 17 TDs
2. Bill Groman (1960) - 72 receptions, 1,473 yards, 12 TDs
3. Anquan Boldin (2003) - 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs
4. Billy Howton (1952) - 53 receptions, 1,231 yards, 13 TDs


Well then it's a perfectly reasonable expectation.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84245
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
60-80 yards a game? Laughing

960-1,280 yards?

That'll be "slow for him?"

As a rookie who missed a good portion of the offseason?

Yeah, no.


When was the last time a rookie WR got 1200 yards receiving?


Boldin?


Only happened 4 times...
1. Randy Moss (1997) - 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, 17 TDs
2. Bill Groman (1960) - 72 receptions, 1,473 yards, 12 TDs
3. Anquan Boldin (2003) - 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs
4. Billy Howton (1952) - 53 receptions, 1,231 yards, 13 TDs


Well then it's a perfectly reasonable expectation.


I'd be a little surprised if he cracked 1200 after 2 years. In our offense regardless of what Khan wants, we wont throw it as much as some think imo
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McMorrow_922


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 2532
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
60-80 yards a game? Laughing

960-1,280 yards?

That'll be "slow for him?"

As a rookie who missed a good portion of the offseason?

Yeah, no.


When was the last time a rookie WR got 1200 yards receiving?


Boldin?


Only happened 4 times...
1. Randy Moss (1997) - 69 receptions, 1,313 yards, 17 TDs
2. Bill Groman (1960) - 72 receptions, 1,473 yards, 12 TDs
3. Anquan Boldin (2003) - 101 receptions, 1,377 yards, 8 TDs
4. Billy Howton (1952) - 53 receptions, 1,231 yards, 13 TDs


Well then it's a perfectly reasonable expectation.


I'd be a little surprised if he cracked 1200 after 2 years. In our offense regardless of what Khan wants, we wont throw it as much as some think imo

mark my word, hold me to it. Blackmon will have over 800+ yards if healthy all season.
_________________


Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84245
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're right
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles shelton


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1900
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I've seen so far from jb. Some observations...

-has good awareness of where defenders are by stepping out of several tackles enabling him to turn relatively short gains into longer gains.
-has shown good strength by breaking tackles (one play turning into a td) and by delivering an impressive stiff arm on one play that netted him a few extra yards.
-route running, hands, & ability to get open all seem to be there although it's a very small sample size and both the offensive gameplan & defensive coverages look very basic.

Overall...looks like a prototypical possession receiver who has the ability to make defenders miss & turn short (5-10 yd routes) into longer gains and already looks to be developing a good chemistry with Gabbert. My early take is that as a player, he is who we thought he was and only continued off-the-field issues will hinder him from progessing into a legitimate #1 wr in this league.

-charles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84245
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
I like what I've seen so far from jb. Some observations...

-has good awareness of where defenders are by stepping out of several tackles enabling him to turn relatively short gains into longer gains.
-has shown good strength by breaking tackles (one play turning into a td) and by delivering an impressive stiff arm on one play that netted him a few extra yards.
-route running, hands, & ability to get open all seem to be there although it's a very small sample size and both the offensive gameplan & defensive coverages look very basic.

Overall...looks like a prototypical possession receiver who has the ability to make defenders miss & turn short (5-10 yd routes) into longer gains and already looks to be developing a good chemistry with Gabbert. My early take is that as a player, he is who we thought he was and only continued off-the-field issues will hinder him from progessing into a legitimate #1 wr in this league.

-charles


It was pretty awesome to see how shifty he was with defenders coming right at him plus he is tougher to bring down than I would have expected in that game
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles shelton


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1900
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
I like what I've seen so far from jb. Some observations...

-has good awareness of where defenders are by stepping out of several tackles enabling him to turn relatively short gains into longer gains.
-has shown good strength by breaking tackles (one play turning into a td) and by delivering an impressive stiff arm on one play that netted him a few extra yards.
-route running, hands, & ability to get open all seem to be there although it's a very small sample size and both the offensive gameplan & defensive coverages look very basic.

Overall...looks like a prototypical possession receiver who has the ability to make defenders miss & turn short (5-10 yd routes) into longer gains and already looks to be developing a good chemistry with Gabbert. My early take is that as a player, he is who we thought he was and only continued off-the-field issues will hinder him from progessing into a legitimate #1 wr in this league.

-charles


It was pretty awesome to see how shifty he was with defenders coming right at him plus he is tougher to bring down than I would have expected in that game


yeah...I really liked that he doesn't make catches going to the ground like so many of our other guys (yes..i'm looking at you marcedes) do, but instead looks to keep his feet and get down the field. Just looks to have incredible balance & body control. I like it...I like it a lot Smile

-charles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35717
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
35 catches
550 yards
4 touchdowns


55 catches
625 yards
7 touchdowns

_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84245
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
35 catches
550 yards
4 touchdowns


55 catches
625 yards
7 touchdowns


Glad to see you are slowly coming around IAS, but my expectations are tempered too
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jags


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 2620
Location: Florida (Thanks to Kempes on the sig)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
I like what I've seen so far from jb. Some observations...

-has good awareness of where defenders are by stepping out of several tackles enabling him to turn relatively short gains into longer gains.
-has shown good strength by breaking tackles (one play turning into a td) and by delivering an impressive stiff arm on one play that netted him a few extra yards.
-route running, hands, & ability to get open all seem to be there although it's a very small sample size and both the offensive gameplan & defensive coverages look very basic.

Overall...looks like a prototypical possession receiver who has the ability to make defenders miss & turn short (5-10 yd routes) into longer gains and already looks to be developing a good chemistry with Gabbert. My early take is that as a player, he is who we thought he was and only continued off-the-field issues will hinder him from progessing into a legitimate #1 wr in this league.

-charles


Everything you just said reminds me of the Great Cris Carter. The only issue with that is he had off the field issues and hopefully unlike Carter, Blackmon will get those issues resolved before he is cut from the team so he can make a contribution early.
_________________


DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sadjag


Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1136
Location: jax
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo fellow FF'ers I started this thread in the preseason and now after it's all said and done I think we can be pretty pleased.

58 catches out of 120 targets, 786 yards and an avg. of 13.1 yards per catch along with 4 touchdowns.

He led all rookie WR's in yards and receptions. He also set franchise records for a rookie in yards and receptions. Maybe most impressively his breakout game in Houston was the 3rd best performance by a rookie WR in history.


Go back through the thread an see how his season matched up too your expectations.

I think that we can be very please with his year and look forward too what I believe might be a monster 2013 season for Blackmon. A season in which he emerges as one of the leagues premier pass catchers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. V


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 2697
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 catches on 133 targets, 865 yards, 13.5 ypc, 5 TDs

From PFF:
1 sack allowed in blocking, 2 penalties, 290 YAC, 6 interceptions when targeted, 8 drops, 1 fumble, caused 6 missed tackles
_________________

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84245
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He exceeded my expectations, but now its time to improve on the drops
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group