Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: The D Reply with quote

As in the Defense, The Red Menace, The War Painters, whatever knick name they have earned.

Last year for the first half they were inconsistent and not particularly good.

vikingsrule wrote:
The success and failure was sporadic though. It wasnt poor the first half and elite the second half.

onejayhawk wrote:
No. It was exactly poor in the 1st half and outstanding in the 2nd half: 21st vs 4th, averaging 11th. By quarters: 22, 21, 5, 5

Source is PFB-Ref.

What changed and when? This is a light going on, causing a fundamental change in level of play. Berry was long out, and IIRC Kendrick Lewis was not 100%, yet results improved drastically. How and Why?

J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The D Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
As in the Defense, The Red Menace, The War Painters, whatever knick name they have earned.

Last year for the first half they were inconsistent and not particularly good.

vikingsrule wrote:
The success and failure was sporadic though. It wasnt poor the first half and elite the second half.

onejayhawk wrote:
No. It was exactly poor in the 1st half and outstanding in the 2nd half: 21st vs 4th, averaging 11th. By quarters: 22, 21, 5, 5

Source is PFB-Ref.

What changed and when? This is a light going on, causing a fundamental change in level of play. Berry was long out, and IIRC Kendrick Lewis was not 100%, yet results improved drastically. How and Why?

J

It could be the combination of a lot of things really.

*Houston/Jackson improved play

*Getting used to Berry not being in the lineup

*Improved focus/Conditioning (our preparation for the season was a joke)

I think it was a combination of all these, along with I think our Attitude changed. It finally felt like we found our Identity on D. Hopefully that continues this season, just gotta wait to find one on Offense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be shortly after the off week, so they could have used the break to review resposibilities and priorities. I get the feeling, with nothing much to base it, that DJ may have stepped up in the leadership area. For that matter they all could have done a reassessment.

IIRC, this was when we started to see Allen Bailey in the nickel.

J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By mid-season they finally had time to catch up to the rest of the league. The Berry injury set them back, but Haley's blunderous preseason strategy was the true culprit here. Also by then, they knew what the offense was going to be. Shockingly they stepped it up a notch instead of whining and folding on the season. That is a testament to RAC in my opinion and will serve us very well this year.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbarkc wrote:
By mid-season they finally had time to catch up to the rest of the league. The Berry injury set them back, but Haley's blunderous preseason strategy was the true culprit here. Also by then, they knew what the offense was going to be. Shockingly they stepped it up a notch instead of whining and folding on the season. That is a testament to RAC in my opinion and will serve us very well this year.

Why shockingly? Pioli has been assembling a team of guys with a suck it up attitude. RAC didnt hurt, to be sure. He is known as a player's coach. The worry is if he can be tough enough when required.

J

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
starbarkc wrote:

Why shockingly? Pioli has been assembling a team of guys with a suck it up attitude. RAC didnt hurt, to be sure. He is known as a player's coach. The worry is if he can be tough enough when required.

J

Shocking because it does not seem to happen often, at least not so noticeably. I agree with you regarding the character of the assembled players, perhaps we have witnessed the indirect effects of maintaining that standard of personality. I certainly hope so.

Frankly, I am just not used to my teams possessing that kind of resilience. It is always impressive.

The fact is the d was left out to dry for much of the year with all of those 3-and-outs, terrible field position, few leads, and knowing they would not get much help. They were still pretty good and they got better! Now with a better interior line, greater depth, Berry back, and hopefully a competent if not kick*** offense, things will really be clicking. That last mention might actually be the force putting them over the top.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: