Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 KC Forum Mock Draft (Discussion Thread) Version 2.0!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nic. I'm not racking up "Star" players, but they are all guys who do their jobs and do them well. Plus other than Herreman's thus far my line is relatively young.

I'm liking my team a lot more than I was a few rounds ago.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Thanks Nic. I'm not racking up "Star" players, but they are all guys who do their jobs and do them well. Plus other than Herreman's thus far my line is relatively young.

I'm liking my team a lot more than I was a few rounds ago.

Yeah, that is the same way I am building my team. Honestly, I completely disregarded the whole Madden sim thing and really focused on building a team based on offensive/defensive schemes and went for players I felt were the best fit sometimes at the expense of picking a flashier player I didn't feel was as good of a fit.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Honestly, I completely disregarded the whole Madden sim thing and really focused on building a team

Of course you're going to say that NOW! Laughing

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Honestly, I completely disregarded the whole Madden sim thing and really focused on building a team

You got me on that one! LOL

Honestly, if this thing would have been touted as a Madden sim GM draft, I wouldn't have joined. It's too easy to simply pick the "highest rated" player at each pick based on a Madden rating. Picking a scheme or philosophy for offense and defense and projecting the players that fit what you are looking for is more enjoyable and challenging.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Honestly, if this thing would have been touted as a Madden sim GM draft, I wouldn't have joined. It's too easy to simply pick the "highest rated" player at each pick based on a Madden rating. Picking a scheme or philosophy for offense and defense and projecting the players that fit what you are looking for is more enjoyable and challenging.

I did both. I drafted my defense the way I wanted and I drafted some offensive players because of their madden ratings. Regardless I'm thrilled with my team. I decides to sacrifice my LB core to strengthen other positions yet I ended up with Maluaga - Ryans - Mayo.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

I did both. I drafted my defense the way I wanted and I drafted some offensive players because of their madden ratings. Regardless I'm thrilled with my team. I decides to sacrifice my LB core to strengthen other positions yet I ended up with Maluaga - Ryans - Mayo.

congrats on landing 3 ILBs and no OLBs

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mike's playing a 4-3 IIRc, so he's really only lacking a true Weak side OLB IMO. He needs someone who is better in coverage then any of those guys are. Rey is a SOLB/MLB, Ryans is a MLB, and Mayo is a SOLB/MLB IMO. Ryans has the best chance of being decent at WOLB. But, he's still got time to find a good WOLB to play in nickel if he chooses.

^ryknowssd on the sig
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

I too tried to accomodate both situations. I went team first though, as I have zero idea what any of these guys Madden rating is. The only Madden oriented thing I did was try not to get too outside the box in my scheme's, and have a particular real life NFL offense and defense in mind when drafting. This way I can actually apply the Madden playbook for my OC/DC to my roster. I don't know how something like what Ryk has will fit in Madden, because no one really runs anything like that in the NFL.

And ryk I totally get that you probably don't really care about the Madden thing, just saying I could see it being a liability in the game. Then again it's been nearly a decade since I last played the game, so what do I know. Laughing

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

I too tried to accomodate both situations. I went team first though, as I have zero idea what any of these guys Madden rating is. The only Madden oriented thing I did was try not to get too outside the box in my scheme's, and have a particular real life NFL offense and defense in mind when drafting. This way I can actually apply the Madden playbook for my OC/DC to my roster. I don't know how something like what Ryk has will fit in Madden, because no one really runs anything like that in the NFL.

And ryk I totally get that you probably don't really care about the Madden thing, just saying I could see it being a liability in the game. Then again it's been nearly a decade since I last played the game, so what do I know. Laughing

The fact that you appear to be calling me Ryk should result in an automatic revoking of your mod privileges AND a minimum 6 month ban!

Wink

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2012 wrote:
calling my Ryk

He's YOUR Ryk now huh? Don't you and Mike need to have a slap fight or something to settle that?

FYI, I was addressing Ryk directly in my response to you to get in front of the inevitable "pfft, Madden who cares, seriously ... I mean I took Jason Peters and one defensive lineman, obviously I don't care." Laughing

I keed, I keed.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2012 wrote:
calling my Ryk

He's YOUR Ryk now huh? Don't you and Mike need to have a slap fight or something to settle that?

FYI, I was addressing Ryk directly in my response to you to get in front of the inevitable "pfft, Madden who cares, seriously ... I mean I took Jason Peters and one defensive lineman, obviously I don't care." Laughing

I keed, I keed.

Yeah, you got me on the typo. I meant me not my. LOL

NEWMAN!
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

congrats on landing 3 ILBs and no OLBs

3 ILBs? Wtf are you talking about man?

All 3 linebackers are versatile enough to play Sam in my system. And considering I'll only be playing 2 of them on Nickel sets I don't see why I would need a nickel LB?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should make it clear that My "nickel" = 4-2-5 ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:

First, let me say I'm not nearly as versed in the usage of the 4-3 as I am the 3-4, but don't they typically take a DT off the field in nickel, so it'd be more of a 3-3-5?

Either way, in base D you'd still want your Weak side OLB to be relatively adept at coverage, so you can cover TE's and RB's when inevitably they pass the ball on 1st/2nd downs. It's comparable to having your weak ILB in a 3-4 able to cover most TE's etc. in base defense.

And even in nickel, do you really want Ryans or Mayo covering RB's/TE's/slot WR's very much? Just like DJ never leaves the field as our weak side player, the weak side "coverage" LB in a 4-3 should be a 3 down player. Ryans is the closest you've got, but would only be OK in that regard IMO.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

First, let me say I'm not nearly as versed in the usage of the 4-3 as I am the 3-4, but don't they typically take a DT off the field in nickel, so it'd be more of a 3-3-5?

Either way, in base D you'd still want your Weak side OLB to be relatively adept at coverage, so you can cover TE's and RB's when inevitably they pass the ball on 1st/2nd downs. It's comparable to having your weak ILB in a 3-4 able to cover most TE's etc. in base defense.

And even in nickel, do you really want Ryans or Mayo covering RB's/TE's/slot WR's very much? Just like DJ never leaves the field as our weak side player, the weak side "coverage" LB in a 4-3 should be a 3 down player. Ryans is the closest you've got, but would only be OK in that regard IMO.

Both Mayo and Ryan's can cover tight ends and running backs well. Maluaga cannot but he will be taken off the field for passing downs as I mentioned. On passing downs my Dt will be subbed for Charles Johnson so although it will be a 4-2-5 I will have 3 de's on the field.

If they opposing team comes out in a 4 WR set then Webb + Joseph + Greer will be on wide receivers. Mayo or Ryan's will be on the RB/TE and Glover Quinn will be on the other receiver, just as he was utilized in Houston and performed extremely well.

Also, people are making it sound as if my draft just ended? Do I not fill 6 bench spots? More CBs + LBs will be drafted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 2 of 40

Jump to: