Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Supplemental Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: 2012 Supplemental Draft Reply with quote

The NFL Supplemental Draft will be held on July 12.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a48544/article/nfl-supplemental-draft-set-for-thursday-july-12-?module=HP11_headline_stack

Prospects
Baylor WR Josh Gordon
TCU RB Ed Wesley
Boise State CB Quaylon Ewing
Syracuse FB Adam Harris
Carson-Newman / Alabama A&M LB Larry Lumpkin
Iowa State OL Scott (Adrian?) Haughton
Georgia DE / LB Montez Robinson
McMurray / Stephen F. Austin WR Houston Tuminello

A little bit on Gordon

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/source-former-baylor-wr-enter-supplemental-draft

Anybody know anything about these guys?
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Quaylon is from Houston.... actually went to my old HS (Kempner Cougars, baby!), but sounds a bit immature from what I could gather on the web
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting myself from another thread on WR Josh Gordon...

Let's put it this way, it would take a bit more than being in a car with some pot smokers at Taco Bell to get a WR suspended for the season given the stakes for Baylor last year with the tenuous situation with the Big 12, RGIIIs likely final year, etc. This was at least the 3rd "incident" I was aware of and he was deemed to be enough of a distraction that they were willing to ditch a guy who topped 700 yards with 7 yards as a sophomore. Kid clearly couldn't hack it at Utah either, so the red flags are waving full staff. All you have right now is a kid who can run really fast in a straight line if he catches the ball, but was limited in college due to his inability to run proper routes or learn the offense and a year of inactivity will leave him even further behind. You are left with some fraction of Dwight Jones and DeVier Posey and I personally don't think that is worth burning a draft pick on since at best you are looking at a practice squad project for next year and most likely looking at a guy who just can't stop digging the holes deeper for himself.

In general, supplemental draft brings terrible ROI. You are essentially "bidding" against where other teams have players valued. Worse still you have to anticipate 2013 needs now since you will burn that future pick. These players are generally the "misfit toys" that couldn't get their business in order to declare for the regular draft, got booted off their 2012 teams, or coming off some serious injury. Giving up a 2nd rounder for Tony Hollings in 2003 remains one of the 5 worst personnel decisions in team history in my book.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
YellowSCRE4MS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to school with gordon, all I can say is stay away...
He has some potential but its not worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans have called and inquired about Gordon, I know for a fact. Don't ask how, just know that we are interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
Texans have called and inquired about Gordon, I know for a fact. Don't ask how, just know that we are interested.

We may be interested, but I hear the Cowboys are going 2nd / 3rd round on him (rotoworld). So I do not think he will be a Texan on Thursday.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:

He is holding his pro day tomorrow at the Texans Training facility.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we do have a surplus of incoming comp. picks so seeing us use a 3rd on gordon would not surprise me in the least. It would hardly be a setback.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
And we do have a surplus of incoming comp. picks so seeing us use a 3rd on gordon would not surprise me in the least. It would hardly be a setback.

Not happening. This guy is bad news on the character department. Bringing in Dwight Jones was one thing as he cost us nothing and unlike Gordon he at least was a Senior who played football last year not a sophomore who hasn't done squat in over a year and will never make the active squad. Burning a 3rd rounder on a guy that had multiple incidents to get himself kicked out of Baylor and couldn't get them straight to get into Utah is not worth burning the comp pick we should get for letting Mario walk for. This guy would never stand up to the scrutiny in the general draft process and the accolades he's getting now are merely a product of a slow news cycle in July. Please remind me of any supplemental picks that ultimately were worth the pick given up to get them? Let a low bar character team like Jets waste a pick on him...

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a71d27/article/josh-gordon-reportedly-draws-interest-from-browns

The Browns are reportedly interested in Gordon too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Not happening. This guy is bad news on the character department. Bringing in Dwight Jones was one thing as he cost us nothing and unlike Gordon he at least was a Senior who played football last year not a sophomore who hasn't done squat in over a year and will never make the active squad. Burning a 3rd rounder on a guy that had multiple incidents to get himself kicked out of Baylor and couldn't get them straight to get into Utah is not worth burning the comp pick we should get for letting Mario walk for. This guy would never stand up to the scrutiny in the general draft process and the accolades he's getting now are merely a product of a slow news cycle in July. Please remind me of any supplemental picks that ultimately were worth the pick given up to get them? Let a low bar character team like Jets waste a pick on him...

Not everyone who was picked in the supplemental was a character concern, though Gordon clearly is.

Some success stories are Bernie Kosar (graduated early), Chris Carter (dealing with an agent) and Jamal Williams (academically ineligible).

Some notable failures are Brian Bosworth (trucked by Bo Jackson and all around sub-par pro), Tony Hollings (Damn you, Texans!!!) and Manuel Wright (the guy famous for crying after getting chewed on by a Dolphins coach at camp).

I'm strongly against us taking Gordon. We've already got plenty of young WRs and this guy doesn't have his head screwed on right.
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Please remind me of any supplemental picks that ultimately were worth the pick given up to get them? ...

Not cherry picking your argument PLUS I think you are right about Gordon UNLESS we got him for a 7th round pick (even then that might be too much!)

But I was thinking of Ahmad Brooks to San Fran for 3rd and Jared Gaither to Baltimore for a 5th IIRC. Those two worked out ok - and yes they are just a couple of examples among the many, MANY busts of supplemental picks.

Now the Texans have never had good luck with the supplemental draft so I would say stay away Rick!
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early numbers for Gordon's workout: 4.52 (40), 6031/224, 36" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, 13 reps bench. (per https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/222731205890674688)

DO NOT WANT!

Plus he apparently pulled his hammie while running

EDIT: Quad - not hammie
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Walsh to the Cowboys is always the one that I think of when it comes to the supplemental especially since it made no sense. The Cowboys has just taken Troy Aikman #1 overall in 89 and the Walsh pick smacked of Jimmy Johnson just taking care of one of his own which ultimately did him a disservice as he just sat behind Aikman until getting traded to New Orleans where he took them to the playoffs and knocked Dallas out (yet another argument against in-season trades). He took theBears to playoffs as well before bouncing around the league as a decent backup.

Jamal Williams is another one of note as he served as the Chargers NT for over decade. The Texans also used a 6th round supplemental on Milford Brown which made sense since we got double picks in later rounds to burn in 02 & 03 and Brown was a rare supplemental who had to enter simply because he used up his last year of eligibility and the ruling came after the draft deadline.

In general, supplementals have rarely lived up to the draft comp required especially since 90% of them are in the supplemental because they got kicked out of school because of some academic, legal, or character issue.

Anyone who puts more than a 6th-7th round pick up for Gordon better have picks to burn and be comfortable risking that investment on the practice squad as I cannot imagine he would be ready physically or mentally to play pro football in 2012 as he wasn't even prepared to play college football this year.

kenney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Early numbers for Gordon's workout: 4.52 (40), 6031/224, 36" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, 13 reps bench. (per https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/222731205890674688)

DO NOT WANT!

Plus he apparently pulled his hammie while running

EDIT: Quad - not hammie

I won't speak on his numbers and I'm not advocating bidding for him, but several of the scouts and reporters I follow on Twitter sound impressed.

Tony Pauline wrote:
Was told Gordon's Wonderlic score was equal to a score teams want from a quarterback...also hearing his hands were exceptional...

Tony Grossi (expanded Tweet) wrote:
Josh Gordon's pro day workout numbers bear a striking resemblance to another receiver taken in the third round of the regular NFL draft. Gordon timed 4.52 in the 40, had a vertical jump of 36 in., a broad jump of 10 ft., 1 in., and had 13 reps in the bench press. At the NFL combine, DeVier Posey timed 4.50, had a VJ of 36.5, a BJ of 10'-2", and 14 reps in the bench. Posey was a 3rd round pick of Houston, 68th overall. One difference: Gordon measured 6-3 1/8 and 224 pounds. Posey is 6-1 3/4 and 211.

Pauline, Caplan, and Norris had other things to say. Rob Rang posted this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: