Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Infamous Clary Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: The Infamous Clary Thread Reply with quote

Like i said in the breakdown, i was recently in a discussion about Clary which led me to watch a bunch of games and focus on him. And i know a lot of people hate on him here as well as other places, so i figured i'd play devils advocate and share my analysis. This is what i got out of it....

THE HATE IS UNDESERVED!

Here's my analysis.

In The Run Game:
He looks like a very solid RT, not elite, but certainly in the top 15-20 in the league. When he's asked to block a guy strait up, or combo with Vasquez, he looks great. Gets down hill well, is very powerfull and can generate a lot of push, i remember on one RM TD run, him and Vasquez made a perfect duece block (basically my HS terminology for a combo block in the 2 gap between G and T, Ace block is same between C and G, Tre is between OT and TE etc) on big Vince Wilfork and drove him 3-4 yards off the ball on an inside zone to the opposite side.

Where he struggles in the run game is when he's asked to create an angle one someone, with a reach block or when pulling. He's plain and simple just not quick enough to get inside of a 5T DE or UT on a opposite side stretch or toss play. Good thing is that usually this guy doesn't matter and wont be close to the play. He doesn't do a good job of getting to the 2nd level on left side runs. This problem also arises when there's a stretch or toss play to his side, which is why we see next to no sweeps or stretches to the right side without either a TE to seal the edge, or a WR crack block to seal the edge, because Clary simply cant get there, so his responsibility is usually the ILB or MLB.

Pass Blocking:
As long as he gets into a guy, he usually wont get beat, or beat bad at least. His getoff is completely inconsistent. At times he'll just get made a fool out of himself, but thats really not as often as people suggest, but its typical for OL that the bad plays stick in their head and if there's not all that many standout good plays (and for the OL, they NEED to be STANDOUT plays) the player will be the scapegoat when things go wrong. Usually with him, when he gets beat, he gets BEAT. But thats really not all that often, maybe 2-3 plays a game.

Speed rushers will give him problems at times, but if you put a speed rusher manned up against a RT on an island, most are going to get beat. A big problem last year was McNeil. There was more than a few times that McNeil gave up pressure on his side, forcing Rivers to drift right, directly into Clary/Clary's man, which just makes Clary look bad. Generally with speed rushers, he does a solid job of cutting off the angle enough to get a nice pocket to step up into the pocket. There are times where Rivers doesn't step up as well. One thing i've found is that Rivers has alright but not all that great pocket awareness. He does a lot of good things standing in the pocket but his overall awareness and pocket movement, especially stepping up into the pocket isn't all that great. A lot of times he doesn't step into the pocket unless he's almost already sacked.

Overall, he's a solid OT, that has a few lapses in concentration that makes him look like an idiot a few times a game, and that makes him look like an AWFUL RT, like many people say he is. I've come to the conclusion that he isn't and shouldn't be a priority to replace...Hes certainly not a problem to our O, definitely not a killer. He's not one of the stronger points to our O, but he's not going to hurt our offense in the big picture. Sure he hurts a few plays a game, but he'll make up for it with more plays in the run game where he looks great.

If we have what we had at LT in what we had in Gaither last year. This OL is going to be dominant...

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Zappaz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with the assessment, I've always thought that Clary got a bad rap. Can he be upgraded from? Definitely. Is he the worst OL in the league like a lot of people claim him to be? No way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start to a thread. I agree that Clary does get some undeserved blame While he is the weak point on the offensive line, the unit that has struggled a lot in the past 2 years, a majority of the time he does a good job. But just like any other position, the bad game changing play sticks out and Clary seems to be the reason for some big sacks. But I agree some of that needs to fall on Rivers.

Clary was a 6th round draft pick out of Kansas State in 2006, pick 187 overall. He spent the entire 2006 season on the practice squad, and made the 53 man roster the following year. He made his first start in 2007 to replace Shane Olivea, and has started 64 games since, missing 6 games in 2009. He signed a 4 year, $20 million deal last year, but since he earned $8.5 in the first year it is now a 3 year, $11.5 deal. He won the won the Chargersí 2010 Ed Block Courage Award
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are being way too nice. A 50% student still gets an F.

A tackle that falls on his face 9/10 when he pulls is not anywhere close to average. Regularly missing a double team, and leaving the TE out to dry, is not the sign of a good OT. Committing drive killing penalties on a regular basis does not land you in the 15-20 range. Not being able to get a single hand on a speed rusher is bad.

Show me more than two games a year where he would finish with a positive report card, and I'd consider moving him into the 31-32 range. The problem is that it's not possible. He continues to make mental errors, on top of technique problems, and physical limitations. Watching a guy like Gaither take out 2-3 guys every time he pulls makes it even more obvious.

I know a few of you just think I hate the guy, but it's not the case. Everything is based on watching him play. There's no outside influence from other fans, because I don't know any. I'm not a member on any other forums either. All of my negativity comes from watching.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Strawman Theory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as though you are trying to disillusion yourself. Concocting a buffet of lies to feed on.

For example, Rivers rolling right.

Rivers rolls right because of Mcneill. Clary isn't bad because his man beats him after rivers rolls right.

Rivers is right handed, he's not a scrambler. That removes two options 90% of the time. So he does roll right and most of the time it's not because of pressure, but he's following his receivers coming across or just simply opening a passing lane following the direction his feet are pointed in.

The fact that Clary can't maintain his blocks because he can't move his feet to keep up with Rivers minimal pocket movement is bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: