Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best placed on PUP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Best placed on PUP Reply with quote

Jahvid Best has been placed on the PUP.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82adc31c/article/jahvid-best-enters-detroit-lions-training-camp-on-pup-list?module=HP11_headline_stack

I wonder if he is going to ever play again.

What do you guys think?

Will he play?

Should he?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Once I get cleared I’ll be back there.”

Quote:
“If this was four or five years ago I probably would have played last season,” Best said. “Now that everything is under a microscope it takes a lot longer.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/jahvid-best-concussions-ending-my-career-not-a-concern/

I guess he ain't worried about it. You begin to wonder when the league has a moral obligation to step in, and save these guys from themselves. I guess they can't infringe to much, but it appears the Lions and/or the league are giving him hell on this comeback attempt.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see this is the Lions are doing their best to keep Best from incurring any punishment outside of game day. They probably know his time is limited and if he is bent on playing, they are at least going to get the most they can out of their investment. I applaud the Lions for their part in trying to save this kid from himself as much as possible. I would nearly bet a less caring staff would have had him back out long ago.

From Best's end, he should have hung it up long ago. It is sad to see a young kid throw away his life over a game. He still has a long and promising life ahead of him. He never struck me as being a dumb person and I am certain he could go on to have a long and wonderful life without football. He very well could and IMO is throwing that away.

The flip side to that is his love for the game. I am certain many of us would agree that if we didn't get to do what we love, then our overall quality of life would suffer anyhow. It even leads some to believe their life is no longer worth living if they cannot do what they enjoy. The crux of that is often a kid in his 20s really doesn't realize or know. He could very well know and expect his life to decline but is willing at this time to give that up for the love of the game. But after it happens and after another 10-20 years of maturing he is likely to have buyers' remorse.

I pray for the best for the kid and I hope he can have a long and healthy career and life. I just don't see it happening and as a person on the other side of buyers' remorse from a life standpoint I really hope he knows what he is getting himself into.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him to retire honestly. Not because he's not a good player but because of just, everything thats happened in the last two years with concussions.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the Lions didn't think he'd play this year we would've added a RB which we did not during the off-season.

So probably just being cautious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thing honestly. Detroit already is having image concerns. There is no need for them to be smeared later if it comes out they rushed Best back

It is always what is in the best interest of Best right now.

Hopefully he plays but I would rather see him not play then be brain damaged for life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to retire. His production will never outweigh the amount of damage he will suffer to his brain.
NationalChamp06

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the kid to death but if he gets banged up one more time..please retire...u can't keep doing it....Lions Org have done a good job handling him and trying to make him as rested and healthy as possible before the season....keep testing him make sure no signs of head injury show up and i feel like Lions have done a great job handling it

if he can't continue to play we have Leshoure (stay out of trouble) and get a speed back that take make home run plays and we will be alright
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Time to retire. His production will never outweigh the amount of damage he will suffer to his brain.

Not my brain, not my problem.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
I think if the Lions didn't think he'd play this year we would've added a RB which we did not during the off-season.

So probably just being cautious.

That's a good point, but they seem to be in denial when it comes to Best. I think you kind of have to look at how many times he's been hurt, and how ineffective he's been running up the middle, and start using him in a bit more of a creative fashion rather than continue to insist he's the starter and will get 25 touches a game. Give him 5 carries a week and have him be our Darren Sproles.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: