Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

over the middle, and not out of the woods
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: over the middle, and not out of the woods Reply with quote

The Vikings took a bit of a leap of faith this offseason when they decided to pencil in Jasper Brinkley as their starting middle linebacker. Brinkley missed the entire 2011 season with a significant hip injury. Minnesota never got involved in a deep free agent market at inside linebacker, and didn’t re-sign incumbent starter E.J. Henderson, either. Brinkley missed the Vikings’ mid-June minicamp with a groin injury that the organization hopes isn’t related to his previous hip ailment.

Spielman: “There’s some concern there, definitely. The durability is a question right now.”

All the good young middle linebackers are taken by this time of year, but the Vikings might want to start thinking about a veteran insurance policy. Henderson is still available. So is former Colt Gary Brackett, who knows Vikings coach Leslie Frazier from their two years together in Indianapolis in the mid-2000s.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/24/vikings-worried-about-jasper-brinkleys-health/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see wait until TC and if he is not ready then we sign a vet like Brackins or EJ for one year.

I think Jasper knows this year is his to prove he can man the middle for us. If not, he's gone.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why we never pursued David Hawthorne, the former Seahawk is beyond me.

I think Brinkley can be a good run stuffing MLB, but I don't think he'll be that good full time.

Right now, I'd love to see Everson Griffen take over as an OLB (SOLB, correct?), and have Erin Henderson be the MLB.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
mOBSCENE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a matter of if we have injury problems in the LB's, it's a matter of when.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB Gary Brackett

Place of birth: Glassboro, New Jersey
Height: 5 ft 11 in
Weight: 235 lb
College: Rutgers, undrafted in 2003

Professional career:

Brackett was signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He was a backup his first two years until he became a starter in 2005. That year he had 127 tackles, three interceptions and a sack. In 2006 he was named defensive captain of the Colts and had 120 tackles. He started for the Colts in their Super Bowl XLI win over the Chicago Bears. In 2007 Brackett recorded 116 tackles and four interceptions. He recorded 99 tackles in both 2008 and 2009. He started for the Colts in their Super Bowl XLIV loss to the New Orleans Saints. He was released following the 2011 season on March 9, 2012.

Personal:

During a 16-month span, starting in 2003, Brackett lost his mother, father, and brother.

In 2009 Brackett was the 11th annual recipient of the Arthur S. Arkush Humanitarian Award, presented to an NFL player “whose contributions to the community and charitable organizations are especially outstanding.” He won the award for his work with the IMPACT Foundation, a charity he founded in the spring of 2007.

In 2011, Brackett published Winning: From Walk-On to Captain, In Football and Life, a memoir about his life, including his accomplishments and struggles with family, college, and the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Brackett

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move Erin Henderson to MLB and Everson Griffen to OLB. Problem solved.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy asked me if I could supply any information on former Colts LB Gary Brackett.

Last week, or the week prior. Brackett was on an Indy morning show where he stated that he was recently cleared to return to football. He suffered a shoulder injury week 1 and was put on IR. After being cut by the Colts, he made no attempts to try out for other teams knowing he wouldn't pass a physical.

I think he can still be effective, nowhere near where he was 3-4 years ago. He's not a great run stopper, but as a sideline to sideline player he has great instincts and is pretty good in coverage. Especially if you still play the Cover-2 or something similar.

He wasn't cut because of 2012 salary as the team only saved $200k in cap space ($7.4 mill > $7.2 mill) but more because of the switch to a hybrid 3-4D and the emergence of Pat Angerer. (Brackett, Angerer and Kavell Connor are all pretty similar players as 3-4 ILBers)
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Move Erin Henderson to MLB and Everson Griffen to OLB. Problem solved.

worth a try, i'd say.

if it blows up on us, then LB becomes a high priority in next year's Draft.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be willing to give Bracket a shot, he knows the defense, is familiar with Leslie Frazier and is an upgrade over EJ Henderson for where we need him to be (coverage and range).

May as well bring a veteran in there, rather than relying on young and unproven players like Brinkley, Elimimian, and Cole.
ProudHorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how this team is going to be in their nickel package the vast majority of the time, Brinkley/ any 3rd linebacker is only going to be a spot player. So, there is no reason to spend money on a FA linebacker, especially one who's 32 years old.

However, after seeing the front office take a 'wait and see' approach to resigning Erin Henderson, only giving him a one year deal, and knowing of Spielman's love for Notre Dame players, I would expect to see Manti Te'o high on our draft board next season.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
However, after seeing the front office take a 'wait and see' approach to resigning Erin Henderson, only giving him a one year deal, and knowing of Spielman's love for Notre Dame players, I would expect to see Manti Te'o high on our draft board next season.

I can only dream.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
Seeing as how this team is going to be in their nickel package the vast majority of the time, Brinkley/ any 3rd linebacker is only going to be a spot player. So, there is no reason to spend money on a FA linebacker, especially one who's 32 years old.

If we were giving him a 5 yr deal, I'd agree. But this is likely a one year deal for little money. Hardly something to raise issue over.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's on our LB squad right now?

let's see a list.

Webmaster wrote:
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
ProudHorn wrote:

If we were giving him a 5 yr deal, I'd agree. But this is likely a one year deal for little money. Hardly something to raise issue over.

But still, why bother, might as well let the young player in Brinkley or Cole play and see what they have, we are going to have picks in round two or three (or even one depending on play of other players), Brackett clearly isn't part of a future for the Vikings, lets find out if Brinkely is.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's all keep in mind that Brackett was mentioned as a possibility by a journalist on a slow day. we have no word from the Vikings that they are interested, and as The Gnat has said, Spielman prefers right now to see what we have in the younger guys.

oooh! think if Brackett had a brother who also played LB and they were both 4-3 outside guys. someone else would have to be in the middle, Bracketted by them.

like i said... slow day.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: