Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2015 Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
419DawgPound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: 2015 Mock Draft Reply with quote

Lifetime Browns fan, long time reader and first time poster. Did some researching and decided to try the mock draft thing. Try not to tear it up too bad.

I think this is a great draft for Centers in case we decided to pick up a backup for Mack somewhere. DB's, OL and DL aren't bad. Everything else I'd proceed with caution to ensure it's the right guy.

1A) La'el Collins OT LSU 6'5 315. Can play either guard or tackle. Monstrous man but still a very good athlete. Helps shore up our right side. Would also be OK with DaVante Parker WR Louisville here but doesn't seem to be the direction the Browns will go. Maybe that changes with the Gordon situation. I'm not a fan of WR Kevin White from West Virginia as he's had some issues in the past.

1B) Personally, I would move out of this pick. Preferably, back to round 3 or 5 where there is good depth or even up if I thought I could get another stud. If I were to stay, however, I would lean toward either Shelton or Brown here in order to upgrade our DL and improve depth. I tend to prefer Shelton by a smidge here but both appear to be solid performers. I wouldn't be mad if we even decided on Melvin Gordon here. Although not a position of need, I believe Gordon possesses elite characteristics that make him worthy of the pick.

2) Cody Prewitt FS Ole Miss 6'2 220. Rangy enough to play free safety, big enough to play strong safety. Can compete with and spell both Gipson and Whitner. Basically takes over for Leonard. I also like Cameron Erving OL Florida State, Maxx Williams TE Minnesota and Reese Dismukes C Auburn here.

3) Denzel Perryman ILB Miami, FL 5'11 240. Good two down football player that can thump- something I actually think this defense needs. May or may not eventually replace Dansby but should be very good beside him. Also like Kurtis Drummond FS Michigan State and Boston College C Andy Gallik here.

4) Eric Rowe CB Utah 6'1 200. Big, smart guy with good skills. May project a little higher on some boards but I like him here. Comes in to not only compete with Skrine, Gilbert, etc but plays on Special Teams as well. Perhaps not a great need position, but improves our team if he can push someone else out the door. Not a lot of depth in this round IMO but a few others I like are DE Henry Anderson Stanford, C BJ Finney K-State and Tyler Kroft TE Rutgers.

5) Sean Mannion QB Oregon State 6'5 225. Perhaps a project here but has elite size if he fills out a bit. Has a good, not great, arm. Comes from a pro-style system in which he is very experienced. Lots of quality players in this round. They include: Brandon Bridge QB South Alabama, Josh Shaw CB USC, OLB Lynden Trail Norfolk State.

6) DeVante Davis UNLV 6'3 210. Kinda torn between him and Evan Spencer WR Ohio State because of what I know Spencer can bring to the table from an unselfish team first player perspective that blocks his rear off. I would think this is also appealing to Pettine's "Play like a Brown" approach. But I think Davis is going to give you a bit more as a receiver here. Another player to look at here includes OT Eric Lefeld Cincinnati.

7) Justin Manton K/P Loisiana-Monroe. Was an all conference selection at both positions. Could back up one and replace another. Also interested in DE Ray Drew Georgia, TE Sam Arneson Wisconsin and WR Jake Kumerow Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I don't draft based on positional needs but more on best player available with the belief that whenever you draft for need over BPA you instantly make another team better when they select the better player. With that said, sometimes need and BPA do match up as evidenced in my mock. With that said, have at it.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't watched much of Collins, but I just watched a cutup of LSU vs Auburn, and I have no idea how anyone comes to the conclusion of Collins being a 1st round pick.

I don't see the difference between Collins and Schwartz, to be honest. Pretty terrible pick, IMO.

Danny Shelton is also uninspiring as a top 20 pick. I want more from my 1st round DT than a lane-clogger. Not a fan of this pick, either.

Melvin Gordon in round 1 would be career suicide for any GM. Watch film of the B1G Championship Game. That's going to be him in the NFL. I can't hate this option enough.

A top 50 pick on a safety after signing Whitner through 2017 and most likely extending Gipson even longer? Pass.

Perryman is seemingly everyone's favorite LB in this forum, and this would be a good pick in the 3rd.

Hard to critique anyone's day 3 picks. That said, keep Sean Mannion out of your thoughts. He is undraftable.

Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Haven't watched much of Collins, but I just watched a cutup of LSU vs Auburn, and I have no idea how anyone comes to the conclusion of Collins being a 1st round pick.

I don't see the difference between Collins and Schwartz, to be honest. Pretty terrible pick, IMO.

Danny Shelton is also uninspiring as a top 20 pick. I want more from my 1st round DT than a lane-clogger. Not a fan of this pick, either.

Melvin Gordon in round 1 would be career suicide for any GM. Watch film of the B1G Championship Game. That's going to be him in the NFL. I can't hate this option enough.

A top 50 pick on a safety after signing Whitner through 2017 and most likely extending Gipson even longer? Pass.

Perryman is seemingly everyone's favorite LB in this forum, and this would be a good pick in the 3rd.

Hard to critique anyone's day 3 picks. That said, keep Sean Mannion out of your thoughts. He is undraftable.

Welcome to the Pound my Brother.....

But just to add a few things.....with two of the top young running backs in the NFL already competing for carries....adding another Running back or adding a 1rst round OG (to an Oline with 3 pro bowlers already) or taking a 2nd round saftey (where we already have two pro bowler) while not addressing pass rusher or WR (our two biggest needs) is a fundamentally flawed draft concept in and of itself....

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

If our first pick of the draft is an OT, I will punch someone.

Need front 7 and WR's like no ones business.

Because the game won't be close, so they have to make something competitive.

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Welcome!

TEs too!

Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
Browns1987

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. But damn, this is a terrible mock.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Welcome!

If our 1st pick is an offensive lineman I am going to punch Horny's baby.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Welcome!

Watch out Sdrawkcab!

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
pnies20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Welcome!

Watch out Sdrawkcab!

It will be a WR. It's gotta be...... Right?

FourThreeMafia wrote:
i whine about almost everything on the Internet
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Welcome!

Watch out Sdrawkcab!

It will be a WR. It's gotta be...... Right?

If last years had to be a corner back, then yeah.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Glad to have you on board. That being said... you poor poor person. I always bark up the "Lets draft Oline" tree and I get yelled at for it. However I have to agree with the peanut gallery this time. Taking a player that would more than likely play RT or RG with our 1st pick would be a bad move. We need to draft a WR here badly now that Gordon is done. For the second 1st you might be on to something. I'll need to check those players out more.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La'el Collins I have not seen much of. I'm not opposed to going OL early, but even I, after this latest Gordon news, want us to go grab a stud WR. Not drafting a WR until round 6 is laughable. Andrew Hawkins is not our #1 receiver; he's a #3. I could live with Miles Austin as a #2, but we desperately still need a #1. And I highly doubt Collins is better than Clemmings as a prospect for a RT.

Trading out of the 1st would be stupid, given this is a weak draft outside of rounds 1-3. Danny Shelton won't be there this late, and I don't like him as a prospect anyways. Haven't seen Malcolm Brown, but I'd rather grab a 3-4 DE, not a 3-4 NT. Phil Taylor is going to be brought back as our NT. Book it. Eddie Goldman is a great fit here. I like Melvin Gordon, but if we want to add another RB, Duke Johnson is just as good and can be had in round 2-3.

The Prewitt pick is a disaster. He's not worth an early 2nd rounder, nor is he a need at all. I think he can be a good player as a FS, but that's what Gipson is. He's not going to be a SS. I could maybe see us going with a SS of the future at some point, but not this early. Prewitt is a true FS. He's a finesse safety despite his build.

Perryman is a great pick, but again, I'll cut my head off and punt it into Lake Erie if he's available in round 3. NFL GM's are too smart to let that happen.

Eric Rowe is a good player. I like him in the 4th, even though I don't think we really need another CB (especially if re retain Skrine)...but the 4th round whatever.

Sean Mannion sucks. He's a dookie QB. I don't see any reason to draft a QB outside of round 1. We already have 3 QB's capable of being the #2/#3. We need a starter, not depth. I know it's the 5th round, but there are better players here.

DeVante Davis...good pick. I like the big WR, but again, this is too late to grab a WR. We need a #1, not a developmental guy. We do need some big WR's though, as we have the shrimpiest group ever.

Justin Manton...whatever. Kicker. Good pick, we need a kicker.

I understand the BPA approach, but that's for teams that don't have GLARING holes. We have glaring holes at WR, DL, OT, and QB. If we don't patch up these holes in FA, they must be addressed via the draft. I like the philosophy of patching holes in FA and drafting BPA, but I can't say I'm on board with the early picks. We should be looking to add starters, not depth, in the first few rounds.

I like the players, but hate the draft.

Welcome to the boards!
419DawgPound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry you don't like my mock. Just a few comments after reading your remarks.

1) I would definately be ok with Parker at 12. It doesn't have to be though and I don't feel that the Browns will. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll draft a WR in the first two rounds.

2) I could see us even double drafting the WR position. It just won't happen until later in the draft.

3) Maybe Prewitt isn't the best choice at 50 now that I rethink that pick. But both FS and SS depth are positions of need in my book. We have no quality backups for Gipson or Whitner and Dante isn't getting any younger.

4) Perhaps there will never be any draftable QB's suitable for the Cleveland Browns and it's fanbase.

5) I can assure you that the Browns simply aren't going to go down their list of needs on draft day and automatically select player from those positions. That would be foolish.

6) I did not factor into my mock anything that could happen in free agency. Obviously, that could change things immensely. I will repost a new mock after the free acency period.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it personally, every mock gets dissected like this.

Well maybe not every mock, but the ones that ruffle feathers are the most fun to discuss.

Glad we didn't scare you off!

Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: