Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Full Browns Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How did I do?
Good
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Bad
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Ugly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

JM95

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: My Full Browns Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Cap Situation
Team Cap - $163,932,964 (Projected cap $145,000,000 + $18,000,000 Carryover)
Team Spending - $108,198,450

Cuts

Josh Gordon - Josh is an enigma, he has all the talent in the world but he just doesn't seem to get it. Doubtful that he'll ever play in the league again. Although he doesn't count against the cap I think we just need to cut our losses and move on from him.

Paul McQuistan - Has a $1,770,000 cap number and contributed next to nothing last year. Will save us $1,350,000 in cap space.

Gary Barnidge - Jim Dray was a revelation last year.... Okay maybe not but he performed well enough to justify dumping Barnidge's $1,200,000 contract.

Travis Benjamin - The WR purge continues. He is too limited to be worth keeping around, enables us to trim the fat on our WR core. Saves us $660,000

Re-signings

Buster Skrine - 5yr/$25,000,000 (Front Loaded - $7,000,000 hit 1st year) - Buster Skrine has established himself as one of the more reliable #2 CBs in the league now and the struggles of Gilbert mean we have to secure him in the short term at least. Looking at recent contracts these numbers seem to be around par.

TaShaun Gipson - 5yr/$30,000,000 - One of the premier free safties in the league, the lack of talent at the position in the league and coming out in the draft will drive his price up.

Cap Situation - $42,062,920 cap space

Free agency

Shaun Hill - QB - 1yr/$1,750,000

- A reliable veteran who could come in and provide support for Manziel or any other young QB we decide to bring in. Seems to have been overlooked throughout his career as whenever he has needed to play he has performed relatively well.

Michael Crabtree - WR - 5yr/$32,000,000

- Played himself out of a 'big' deal last year, but will be able to get more on the open market than by staying with the up against the cap 49ers. Provides a necessary upgrade at the WR position. I could have gone for Randall Cobb or Jeremy Maclin but in reality there is probably little chance of either of these two players hitting F/A.

Justin Houston - OLB - 5yr/$80,000,000

- The #1 OLB in the league, we tie him up with a mega contract. We need difference makers on defence and Houston provides this. It's highly unlikely the Chiefs are going to be able to make enough space to resign him without destroying the roster, and of the teams with the cap space to sign him we are the most desirable (no, really we're competing with the Jags, Jets, Raiders and Titans).

Trade - Cleveland trades round 3 pick 13 to New Orleans for Cameron Jordan DE.

Cameron Jordan is one of the premier 3-4 DE's in the league, but the Saints are looking at being $15,000,000 over the cap this season and can clear $6,000,000 in cap space by trading Jordan. Furthermore he is in the last year of his deal so he is a fairly risky investment for us. However if Phil Taylor stinks it up next year we'll be able to afford Jordan, if big Phil doesn't stink then we probably have a very good defence which would be incentive for Jordan to stay.

Draft (using CBS Prospect rankings)

Round 1 Pick 12 - Kevin White - WR - West Virginia - 6'3'' 210

Big and physical, not an elite athlete but very technically sound for a college WR, shouldn't find the transition too hard. Gives us a potential #1 WR whilst also adding immediate quality opposite of Michael Crabtree and Andrew Hawkins.

Round 1 Pick 19 (via Buffalo) - Malcolm Brown - DT - Texas - 6'4'' 320LBs

A huge body on the defensive line, he should become a key part of a DL rotation. He has the quickness and agility to rush the passer from the DE spot in our 3-4 and over time should develop the strength to hold up as a NT.

Round 2 Pick 11 - Jake Fisher - OT - Oregon - 6'6'' 299LBs

With Maxx Williams pegged to go a few spots higher and no pass rushers worth reaching on I've gone with what might be a controversial pick. Mitchell Schwartz is pretty poor and has dropped off a cliff the last season or so. Jake Fisher has everything you want in a Tackle, technically sound, very athletic and long. This should shore up the right side of our line whilst Schwartz is able to compete for the RG spot with Greco.

Round 3 Pick 13 - Traded

Round 4 Pick 12 - David Johnson - RB - Northern Iowa - 6'1'' 224LBs

Our current RB situation is somewhat enigmatic, are they talented or were they just a product of the system. Who knows. But what we do lack is a viable pass catching threat out of the backfield. Johnson is a good enough runner that teams will still have to respect him in the run game but he offers pass catching ability that we lack with West and Crowell.

Round 4 Pick 16 (via Buffalo) - Jeff Heuerman - TE - Ohio State - 6'5'' 255LBs

Not a playmaker like Jordan Cameron but he is a much more capable blocker and solid all round player. Should come in and be an immediate starter.

Round 5 Pick 11 - Tony Washington - OLB/ILB - Oregon - 6'3'' 250LBs

I've gone for a developmental prospect in the fifth, Washington actually reminds me a lot of a young Karlos Dansby. They have similar size and athletic ability however Washington is less refined as a player, he should be able to get game time at OLB whilst he develops into a replacement for Dansby.

Round 6 Pick 13 - Antwan Goodley - WR - Baylor - 5'10'' 210LBs

Goodley is a playmaker at the WR position however he falls short in the height department and is inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball. He could become an elite slot receiver at the next level if he progresses well due to his incredible quickness.

Round 7 Pick 11 - Conor Halliday - QB - Washington - 6'4'' 198LBs

Halliday has NFL size and the arm to go with it, his decision making can be questionable and he trusts his arm a bit too much but he may benefit from being asked to throw the ball less (comes from an incredibly pass happy scheme).

FA - Rory Anderson - TE - South Carolina - 6'5'' 227

A bit on the light side to be a full time TE but his speed and height are a mismatch for any team and could split out to play WR at times too. Replaces Jordan Cameron as our physical mismatch on offense.

FA - Kevonte Martin-Manley - WR - Iowa - 6'1'' 210

Holds the receptions record for the Iowa Hawkeyes and possesses good size and speed.
brooks1957

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done and well thought out. You certainly addressed a lot of needs.

One change I would propose is the former Rams QB. Sam Bradford is in the final year of his contract. He carries a $16 M cap hit this season, and I don't think that is guaranteed. I'll be surprised if he is in St. Louis in September. If he is cut, I'd like to see us sign him to a much more reasonable contract.

Let me explain my point - the quicker the Browns can rid themselves of Johnny, the better they will be. Kid is a train wreck waiting to happen. Sign a veteran FA QB, and draft one this year. Think Dallas would pony up a third round pick for him? Done.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a A- Very nicely done.

Not a fan of a OT in the 2nd and a little risky tradding for a guy in his last year,

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

I just don't buy that the Saints would trade one of their best defensive players (if not their best) for a 3rd round pick. And he's a young guy still.

Thanks to JMG on the sig
candyman93

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints would cut Brees before they trade Jordan for that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:

Not a fan of a OT in the 2nd and a little risky tradding for a guy in his last year,

Bitonio (OG) was a wasted R-2 pick, yes?

No.

Although I think Schwartz is the weak link in the OL, I would rather see someone like this in R-2:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737376/hroniss-grasu
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:

Bitonio (OG) was a wasted R-2 pick, yes?

No.

Although I think Schwartz is the weak link in the OL, I would rather see someone like this in R-2:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737376/hroniss-grasu

He was a great pick. Doesn't make RT a great pick. If we draft a great RT in the 2nd I will love it

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Free Agency is great minus Shaun Hill. I would rather get a player like Jake Locker. Someone who has potential.

If we get Cameron Jordan, I think Malcolm Brown becomes a luxury pick. Personally I think we need an ILB to groom to replace Dansby or start in place of Robertson making Robertson and Kirksey back-ups

Also it might cost more than a 3rd for Cameron Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I really don't like is Crabtree. The only thing above average about him is his mouth. I don't think he'd sign here. I don't think many of them would.

I think Hartline would be a great low key signing. Reminds me of Joe J.

FourThreeMafia wrote:
i whine about almost everything on the Internet

2015 FFMD Browns Director of Player Personnel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: