Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Rookie Minicamp Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: The Official Rookie Minicamp Thread Reply with quote

Post all updates and practice observations here. This place has turned into the offseason doldrums, which is understandable...this could be nice to watch with all of our rookies.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On field training camp for rookies begins today with media access. Saturday open to the fans. Sunday closed to the media.

MWil23

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always intriguing to me to see the terms of the contracts signed by our late round guys.

Scooby Wright signed a $60,000 signing bonus yesterday as a late 7th round draft pick.

It's good to know that these late 7th rounders on other teams/our team who may not make it (although I think Scooby will) at least get a nice 1 year compensation package.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read:

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/1352/browns-rookies-to-watch-as-they-take-the-field-at-their-first-minicamp

Quote:
Editor's note: Tony Grossi covers the Cleveland Browns for ESPN 850 WKNR.

Here we go: The first rookie class of the New Browns Order takes the field for the first time on Friday with the opening of coach Hue Jackson’s rookie minicamp.

The three-day camp is a glorified orientation of the rookies – drafted, undrafted and about a dozen invited tryouts -- to their new team. They discover where to dress, work out, eat and watch film, and receive and introduction to Jackson’s playbook and his staff’s position drills.

Players have three field sessions scheduled – Friday in Berea, which is open to media; Saturday in FirstEnergy Stadium, open to the public as part of the club’s Fan Fest; and Sunday back in Berea, which is closed to media.

This is the first time to see the new arrivals in uniform, sporting their just-assigned jersey numbers. These players haven’t been in uniform since their bowl games or all-star games in January.

Not much should be read into their actual performance in the practice sessions, although coaches will tell you an undrafted free agent or tryout invitee can earn a closer look in training camp by making a favorable first impression at rookie camp. Generally, though, no news (read: injuries) is good news at this time of the year.

That said, here is a list of the most intriguing rookies to watch as their Browns careers get started:

Quarterback Cody Kessler

The surprise third-round pick from University of Southern California would be overly-scrutinized if he were a first-round selection simply because he is a quarterback. The fact Jackson implored everyone to “trust me” on Kessler makes him even more intriguing. What is it about Kessler that inspired Jackson to put his reputation on the line? Kessler is an uber-accurate passer from a pro-style program that has produced many NFL quarterbacks. But his less-than-ideal physical dimensions and “average” arm caused him to fall into the second wave of QB prospects in this draft. The over-riding questions of him are: Is he just a developmental prospect or could he be a long-range solution to the Browns’ historic problem at quarterback? And could he be precocious enough to begin the season riding shotgun to presumptive starter Robert Griffin III?

Wide receiver Corey Coleman

The No. 1 pick of the Browns analytics era is shorter than six feet tall and comes from Baylor’s wide-open spread offense of coach Art Briles. Jackson called him “one of the most dynamic players” in the draft. Can he be a true No. 1 receiver in Jackson’s system? Coleman is solidly built – not slight -- and has a feisty attitude, which brings comparisons to superstar NFL receivers Steve Smith Sr. and Antonio Brown. Jackson shied from invoking comparisons on draft day because he knows Coleman has a lot of learning to do to catch up to the pro route tree.

Linebacker Emmanuel Ogbah

He’s the newest pass rush hope, an athletic specimen who weighs 275 pounds and clocked a 4.6 40 at the combine, comparable to the time posted by Mississippi receiver Laquan Treadwell, who is 50 pounds lighter. Sounds good. The problem begins with the fact he played defensive end primarily in Oklahoma State’s defense – which isn’t a known powerhouse, for sure – and now he has to adjust to the nuances of the 3-4 outside linebacker position in Ray Horton’s defense. We’ve seen so many other great college athletes have trouble making that transition. If he can spend his rookie season rushing the passer while learning the myriad responsibilities at a new position he will certainly justify his second-round draft status.

Wide receiver Rashard Higgins

The last of four receivers drafted by the team – No. 172 overall in the fifth round – he was projected by some draftniks for the second round. He is over six feet and not particularly fast, causing his slide, but was super-productive at Colorado State. “Hollywood” Higgins led the nation in 2014 with 1,750 receiving yards (18.2 per catch average) and 17 touchdowns and joined Amari Cooper and Kevin White as Biletnikoff Award finalists. His production dropped to 933 and eight – not chump change – after CSU quarterback Garrett Grayson left for the NFL. Higgins does not have any return experience, so he will have to earn playing time at wide receiver exclusively to get on the field early. He could be a starter when the season opens.

Center Mike Matthews

Even though he’s just one of 11 undrafted free agents signed by the Browns, he has more name power than perhaps anyone they drafted. The son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews and nephew of Browns great Clay Matthews was a three-year starter at center for Texas A&M. He broke in as a sophomore in Johnny Manziel’s last season in 2013. He may be a little light right now and doesn’t have desirable arm length or strength to project as a legitimate challenger for an NFL starting job. But that pedigree bears him worth watching.

Kicker Brad Craddock

Another undrafted free agent, he left his native Australia when his Australian rules football career ended and took up American football as a kicker at Maryland. In four college seasons, he made 57 of 70 field goals and didn’t have one blocked. He has been tutored by former Browns and Ravens kicker Matt Stover and earned the Lou Groza Award in 2014 as the nation’s outstanding kicker. He will challenge Travis Coons, who had four field goals blocked last year.

Personally, the Higgins pick was one of my favorites. I think it would be hilarious/amazing if he ended up being "Treadwell 2.0" and Coleman is legit. It would be awesome to have our bonafide possession WR/Redzone threat in Higgins and our dynamic playmaking WR in Coleman.

I like Matthews as a darkhorse to make the team, or at least be a practice squad guy who needs to bulk up and gain strength in order to play full time at the NFL level.

I hope the Browns use Ogbah almost exclusively as a pass rusher his first year or two, because that's his best fit and we need to utilize his strengths immediately, before we ask him to do too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Coleman signed.

brownie man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im interested in Skov to see he'll be our Fullback. I think Hue is going to bring one on and I think he'll make it to training camp.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm more interested in devalve. So many questions about him. Can he play TE? Can be block? Can he make the adjustment to the NFL from such a small division? Is 6'2 too small for a TE? Can he overcome his foot issues he had?

He's got freak measurables, I hope they translate.

Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Kessler throw a nice out route to devalve, hit in stride hands out in front.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwibrown wrote:
Saw Kessler throw a nice out route to devalve, hit in stride hands out in front.

Link?

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Kiwibrown wrote:

Link?

I am on my phone is is a Mary Kay article on Cleveland.com
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is a missing link. Coming from NZ. I'm not surprised.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/kS8GXZd_4QY

The goat Al Saunders teaching these boys about ball security. 69 years old and still stripping the ball from these youngins

hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
https://youtu.be/kS8GXZd_4QY

The goat Al Saunders teaching these boys about ball security. 69 years old and still stripping the ball from these youngins

Yeah I saw that. So happy we have him as WR coach

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Hue told the rookies they need to get in better shape. Start a hard working culture from day one. No country club attitude anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: