Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts on the Bengals Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

First off, I don't think playing the Bengals close on the road is a terrible result. They look like a playoff team to me and play especially well at home.

That being said, I think we should be seriously worried about this offensive line. No one besides maybe Dunlap had a good game. Orlando Franklin looked terrible for the second game in a row and Watt/Hairston got abused by Adkins all day. This o-line made Gilberry look like Ndamakong Suh for chrissakes. What's especially worrying is that we are competing with two teams that have ferocious pass rushes in the Chiefs and Broncos. If the o-line plays this badly against those teams, then we don't have a chance at the division.

I saw in the NFL Gen thread that Boltstrikes blames Reich for the offense's woes. I really don't see it. He stuck with the run as long as it was possible and was severely limited by how badly the o-line was playing.

Another atrocious performance by Mike McCoy. Not calling the timeout before the half is inexcusable. Not to mention he let 20 seconds drain off the clock before calling a timeout in the 4th quarter before the 2 minute warning. I also have a problem with him not going for 2 when we made it 14-12, and also settling for a 40+ yard field goal that Lambo missed instead of going for it on 4th down. I just don't see this team going anywhere with this cowardly, conservative manager. It feels like we have to win despite him.

Positives to take away: Melvin Gordon looks beastly, I hope he gets a chance to get 20+ touches per game going forward. Defense made some important stops and I think played just well enough for us to win if the o-line didn't sh*t the bed.

What are your guys' thoughts on the game?
Is the lack of a pass rush concerning, or do the Bengals just have a really good offensive line?
Is Brandon Flowers a liability or was it just a bad game?
Should we be regretting calling for Lambo instead of Novak?
How does Ladarius Green look like he's jogging while running past defenders?
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) the Bengals oline is just really good.
2) calling a timeout right away near the two minute warning wouldn't have made a difference. The negals ended their previous play right around 2:40. They would have ran it to 2:00 no matter what.
3) the chargers played a good Bengals team really well considering their limitations on offense (bad interior off line) and defense (not much rush all day). The chargers are going to win a lot of games this year.
4) chargers appear to have the nest short game in the NFL. Screens and draws and crossing routes aplenty. And they make it work with high efficiency.

If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy's conservatism is annoying. I swear he manages the game as if he has the 85 Bears defense.Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the game went like the previous 2 regular season games between the Chargers and Bengals. Cincy's defensive line wins the day and the Chargers fall a couple plays short.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
1) the Bengals oline is just really good.
2) calling a timeout right away near the two minute warning wouldn't have made a difference. The negals ended their previous play right around 2:40. They would have ran it to 2:00 no matter what.
3) the chargers played a good Bengals team really well considering their limitations on offense (bad interior off line) and defense (not much rush all day). The chargers are going to win a lot of games this year.
4) chargers appear to have the nest short game in the NFL. Screens and draws and crossing routes aplenty. And they make it work with high efficiency.

You're probably right about the timeout, but a coach who is on top of things calls the timeout right when the play ends and then maybe that forces Cincy to run another play before the two minute warning. Even if that blunder didn't cost us, McCoy does not get the benefit of the doubt because he's waited to call timeouts after the two minute warning previously. He's just really poor at game management.
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Positives to take away: Melvin Gordon looks beastly, I hope he gets a chance to get 20+ touches per game going forward. Defense made some important stops and I think played just well enough for us to win if the o-line didn't sh*t the bed.

What Gordon did was really impressive when factoring in the run blocking. They were inconsistent at opening the running lanes, and several times we saw Gordon have to change direction to get running room. I thought he was generally decisive when he needed to be, and patient when he needed to be without dancing around in the backfield. It was a big step up from how he looked in the preseason, and he also flashed his speed and ability to break tackles.

Quote:
Is the lack of a pass rush concerning, or do the Bengals just have a really good offensive line?

Like theJ said, the Bengals have a very good OL. Credit also has to be given to Dalton and Hue Jackson. The Bengals played it safe most of the game with runs and quick, short passes, especially in the first half. I don't know if the intent was to ensure that Dalton didn't make any mistakes early, but that's how it came across to me. He also threw the ball away when pressure was coming at him. Much of that pressure was generated when we were blitzing, which is a bit concerning... but I remember quite a few games the past two years where we couldn't even generate a pass rush when sending 5 guys. We got some pressure, we just didn't take Dalton down.

Quote:
Is Brandon Flowers a liability or was it just a bad game?

He was listed on the injury report this week. We might be going through Flowers' annual stretch where he is limited by a nagging injury, but still plays.

Quote:
Should we be regretting calling for Lambo instead of Novak?

Kickers miss from time to time. Let's worry if it starts happening regularly.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
Like theJ said, the Bengals have a very good OL. Credit also has to be given to Dalton and Hue Jackson. The Bengals played it safe most of the game with runs and quick, short passes, especially in the first half. I don't know if the intent was to ensure that Dalton didn't make any mistakes early, but that's how it came across to me. He also threw the ball away when pressure was coming at him. Much of that pressure was generated when we were blitzing, which is a bit concerning... but I remember quite a few games the past two years where we couldn't even generate a pass rush when sending 5 guys. We got some pressure, we just didn't take Dalton down.

Just for some perspective, Dalton was sacked 21 times last year. Only two QB's took less sacks last year (>400 PA). P. Manning (17) and J. Flacco (19). Tom Brady also took 21 sacks. Dalton wasn't sacked until week 5 last year. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of sacks yesterday.

Again, good game. I've watched all four AFC West teams now, and the Chargers look the most impressive to me. Who knows who will win it, but if i had to pick right now the Chargers would be my pick.

~T.S. Eliot
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Neutral wrote:

Just for some perspective, Dalton was sacked 21 times last year. Only two QB's took less sacks last year (>400 PA). P. Manning (17) and J. Flacco (19). Tom Brady also took 21 sacks. Dalton wasn't sacked until week 5 last year. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of sacks yesterday.

Again, good game. I've watched all four AFC West teams now, and the Chargers look the most impressive to me. Who knows who will win it, but if i had to pick right now the Chargers would be my pick.

And then you decided to go out and spend your first 2 draft picks on the OL....haha

But plain and simple, the Bengals were better on the line on both sides. I don't think people are realizing how good they're DL is. Between Geno, Dunlap, and Gillberry (very underrated) and even Peko as a run stopper, this DL is going to cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams, let alone one starting a backup OG. The cincy D did a lot of things perfectly to be honest.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
And then you decided to go out and spend your first 2 draft picks on the OL....haha

After yesterday, i'm starting to wonder if Jake Fisher is a tackle or TE. Laughing

~T.S. Eliot
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Bengals Game Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

After yesterday, i'm starting to wonder if Jake Fisher is a tackle or TE. Laughing

As somoene who knows Jake Pretty well.....he's can probably play either. And he's a really good PF/C if your looking for a basketball team.... Laughing

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, the Bengals have a top five offensive line, so it shouldn't be a surprised that the Chargers struggled to generate a pass-rush.

Now if they struggle next week, I would be very concern. The Vikings offensive line isn't very good and the Chargers should be able to get after Teddy.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at all upset with the loss yesterday. Of course I'd love to win them all but fact is we just don't typically get the W vs Cincy, in the regular season at least.

They just took it to us in the trenches and pressured Rivers fast enough that the wideouts couldn't get open enough.

I was happy to see Gordon finally showing his ability but it was sad to see him not get used as much late though I realize Woodhead is very good at what he does as well. I would love to see some sets with both of them on the field at the same time. Woodhead could easily be a slot receiver or play that role which would also make him deadly for screens or a reverse.

Really curious to see how this next game goes with Norv coming to town.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny how more rational this Chargers forum is compared to other Chargers blogs and forums.

Seriously, it just annoys me when a team loses the first thing people bring up are cliches like "lack of leadership" or the "team was unprepared".Rolling Eyes
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
It is funny how more rational this Chargers forum is compared to other Chargers blogs and forums.

Seriously, it just annoys me when a team loses the first thing people bring up are cliches like "lack of leadership" or the "team was unprepared".Rolling Eyes

I actually thought the chargers were perfectly prepared. Despite getting absolutely manhandled in the trenches on both sides of the ball, they were still within one drive of winning it. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

~T.S. Eliot
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
game3525 wrote:

I actually thought the chargers were perfectly prepared. Despite getting absolutely manhandled in the trenches on both sides of the ball, they were still within one drive of winning it. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Agreed. But the way some SD fans are talking you would think they didn't even show up.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lashed out at Reich the second year OC. Wiz running this offense got us into the playoffs. Reich has the reigns on an offense that basically is getting by solely by defenses being over aggressive. Screens and draws are a great supplement but we need either consistent short passing or a reliable run game. Play calling needs to improve. Wiz, Norv and Marty all had a end around in the playbook to make teams respect lateral movement, Reich hasn't used that in recent memory. I'd like to see us stretch laterally a bit more on the ground rather then the constant inside draws.

Gordon thus far has been ok for his draft position. I'm starting to hate the pick less. The line however is three years into Mccoys reign and struggles vs edge speed rushers and interior bull rushes. Both the run blocking and pass blocking are below average and for the money we've shelled out in FA and the draft picks spent on Fluker, Watt and Watt; it's unacceptable.

On to the WR. Gates will help this offense. We need Stevie Johnson to step up. Floyd is a one trick pony. With the talent in this group I don't understand why we aren't having more success. I don't want to say it's Rivers but why can't we have success with any sort of 3 step and throw type of plays?

Defense is same old. Our corners are decent but get worn down and their is 0 depth worth talking about. Pass rush has been missing since like 2006 so I'm sort of used to it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: